Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 1:39:31 AM EDT
Well, I have dipped/chewed Copenhagen Snuff for the last 16 years. I decided 4 days ago that I was going to Quit.  Haven't had a dip since. Was wondering if any of you fella's had ever kicked the habit, and how long it was until the urges to chew your lips off went away? I have been eating Smokey Mountain tobacco/nicotine free chew, like it was going out of style.  It's 4 am,  my sleeping habits and all are really messed up. It's hard to believe a little can of ground leaves could grab a man's balls like this stuff. I can't really remember what it was like bfore I started chewing. But I do Know that I'll NEVER let the stuff pass my lips again! I didn't figure on Quitting affecting my sleep. It's going to be a long ride.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:04:20 AM EDT
[#1]
In quitting smoking (my only experience with nicotine), the first 5-7 days are usually the worst in terms of your body going out of whack for some more nicotine.
After that, you want some, you think about it all the time. That part can last a good month or more depending on the person, although you think about it less often as that time goes on.

In the meantime- drink plenty of water, try to exercise when you are dying for a dip. The insomnia is normal, it's only been four days up against 16 years. Stay strong!

A thought: You might want to talk to your doctor about figuring out what dosage patch would be right for you. Pretty much all insurance companies will pay for tobacco cesassion treatment, i.e. pay what they normaly would for your prescription.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck.  I've been dipping for 15 yrs. and can't imagine how hard it would be to quit.  I have no desire to though.  Try sunflower seeds or chewing gum.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:56:07 AM EDT
[#3]
You have already went through the toughest part. If you can make it 4 or 5 days without going back, all you have to do at that point is remain committed and strong, as you've experienced the worst part. Just stay motivated and committed that no matter what, you are going to remain tobacco free. Make it a goal. Think of that tobacco as if were Osama bin Laden you were fighting. If you don't go back, you are kicking his ass! But if you break, then he takes you. As silly as that sounds, thinking of it that way gives you that extra strength, motivation and willpower to fight the craving for nicotine.

As has been said, the first week is the toughest. After that your intense crave will subside somewhat. But you will still think about it and have at the least a mild craving for it daily for some time after. You may even experience a day in which you find yourself having a sudden and intense craving a month or two later that hits out of nowhere and drives you nuts. But just don't break. After that it's all gravy! I would say the first week is the toughest, the first month is somewhat tough but yet manageable and the second month is much better, but still with the occasional craving. But you can make it and remember, you have already experienced the WORST part. The first week is a combo of serious physical and mental. Later on it's just all mental. The mental is much easier to deal with if you know how to fight it. Staying busy doing something is a great help. When I stopped as a teen (even though I was young I had dipped many years because I am a country cornfed bastard...lol), I started putting together model cars and jet fighters as a means to keep my mind completely occupied at times when I would have otherwise been obsessed with thoughts of tobacco.

So my advice is to remain motivated, for whatever reason works for you. It could be health, cleanliness, saving money, avoiding heartburn, whatever. Just use it as a means to reach your goal and fight like hell. And after it's over and you've defeated the bitch, be proud, because you will have broken an addiction that many describe as being heroine like. As tough as it is to quit smoking, dip is even worse. The average size dip on snuff contains 4 times the amount of nicotine as a cigarette. So be proud and keep in the fight. You'll make it.

And perhaps the biggest motivatioon of all.....think of all the $$$ you will save that can be put toward ammo and gun accessories! Good luck man, hang in there.

-CH
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd heard both good and bad about the Patch.  I figure That I am strong willed enough to make this a Go, without it though.  Although I may get pretty Desperate if this sleep pattern doen't get back to normal.

Suprisingly, I was very irritable for only ONE day.   Now I just Can't sleep.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:05:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You have already went through the toughest part. If you can make it 4 or 5 days without going back, all you have to do at that point is remain committed and strong, as you've experienced the worst part. Just stay motivated and committed that no matter what, you are going to remain tobacco free. Make it a goal. Think of that tobacco as if were Osama bin Laden you were fighting. If you don't go back, you are kicking his ass! But if you break, then he takes you. As silly as that sounds, thinking of it that way gives you that extra strength, motivation and willpower to fight the craving for nicotine.

As has been said, the first week is the toughest. After that your intense crave will subside somewhat. But you will still think about it and have at the least a mild craving for it daily for some time after. You may even experience a day in which you find yourself having a sudden and intense craving a month or two later that hits out of nowhere and drives you nuts. But just don't break. After that it's all gravy! I would say the first week is the toughest, the first month is somewhat tough but yet manageable and the second month is much better, but still with the occasional craving. But you can make it and remember, you have already experienced the WORST part. The first week is a combo of serious physical and mental. Later on it's just all mental. The mental is much easier to deal with if you know how to fight it. Staying busy doing something is a great help. When I stopped as a teen (even though I was young I had dipped many years because I am a country cornfed bastard...lol), I started putting together model cars and jet fighters as a means to keep my mind completely occupied at times when I would have otherwise been obsessed with thoughts of tobacco.

So my advice is to remain motivated, for whatever reason works for you. It could be health, cleanliness, saving money, avoiding heartburn, whatever. Just use it as a means to reach your goal and fight like hell. And after it's over and you've defeated the bitch, be proud, because you will have broken an addiction that many describe as being heroine like. As tough as it is to quit smoking, dip is even worse. The average size dip on snuff contains 4 times the amount of nicotine as a cigarette. So be proud and keep in the fight. You'll make it.

And perhaps the biggest motivatioon of all.....think of all the $$$ you will save that can be put toward ammo and gun accessories! Good luck man, hang in there.

-CH

I almost feel like the nicotine craving is gone. I have not been sitting around Just "JONESing " For a chew.  I have been eating Some FAKE herbal Snuff and a ton of Sunflower seeds.  But this is just to have something in my mouth.  It's kind of weird, I am fine as long as I have something to keep my mouth occupied. This sleep thing Is about to piss me off though!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#6]
send  unused coppen hagen long cut to me in Iraqi (seriously good job  my wife wants me to quit when  I get home )
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]
i ahve quit twice in the last 2 yrs.once for about three months and most recently for about 5.as stupid as this sounds i just started back about 2 weeks ago.this sucks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I too have dipped Cope for approximately 20 years.  I quit once for BCT, but as soon as we were able to go to the PX, I started right back up.  Over the years, I have "quit" a number of times, but I guess I am too weak willed to go for good.  I've made the 4 dady mark, then while having a beer, I bummed a dip from a buddy and that was it.  I've had doctors tell me that it is the hardest form of tobacco to quit.  My fiance who is an oncology nurse is constantly on my ass about it, but I just can't seem to get past it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
send  unused coppen hagen long cut to me in Iraqi
remember noboy likes a quitter
(seriously good job  my wife wants me to quit when  I get home )

I wish I would have had your address. I threw out a half a log 4 days ago. Too late now I Guess!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Chaos good job! I quite chewing about fourteen years ago and did it the same way you are going about it. I quite cold turkey and used the herbal chew, sunflower seeds and gum. It is the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life. I really really wanted to try just a little pinch but I knew if I did I would be back to chewing two cans a day. I had nightmares that would wake me up because I dreamed that I had started to chew again and would have to go through the withdrawals again. I worked shift work when I stopped chewing so I never had problems with sleeping but I did put on twenty pounds when I quit. I started chewing because I worked nights allot and it was a way to keep me awake and alert at 0400 hrs.  The reason I quite is because my friend that was thirty-one at the time died from throat cancer caused by tobacco use! I watched him go thru hell with the surgery, chemo, pain and knowing he would never see his two boys grow up. The last time this topic came up in a thread someone posted some pictures of people with cancer from tobaco usage they were graphic pictures but a very big motivator to quit chewing. So hang in there it is going to be tough but well worth the problems.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I've dipped Copenhagen for 14 of the last 20 years (I quit for 6 years once, but that's another story). Anyhow, I decided to quit a week ago. I think it's going okay, I'm chewing 4-5 pieces of 2mg nicotine gum a day at this point. Yesterday morning I didn't even think about a nicotine fix until about 9am. Keep it up, it get's a little easier every day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#12]
i dipped copenhagen for years..................now im dipping red seal but thats just because i got tired of paying $5.20 a can for copenhagen..................

for me at least i think it's more of just something to do, a habit.  i've gone a 3-5 days or so before when i didnt have any money to buy a can and it really didn't bother me, but as soon as i'd get some money i'd go grab another can just because

more power to you to quit, good luck
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Good luck chaos and samsi!!

I have known a few long time dippers in my life, a retired Marine 1st Sargeant comes to mind first. Coolest guy in the world, but when he smiles its a dentist's worst howling nightmare come to life. Lets just say gray and greenish tones dont belong in peoples mouths shall we?

A giant plus one for you guys!!!!

Stay strong.

Dram
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Good Luck and hang in there
I chewed copenhagen for 35 years one can would last me two days.
I went cold turkey like you and did great for nine months, although I had to fight the urge everyday.

I put on almost 30 lbs after i stopped chewing.
My friend at work was passing out cigars his wife just had a baby, I took the cigar home and my wife got real bitchy with me about I hope you don't think your going to smoke that.

Well, I unwrapped it and chewed on it for five mins., went right to the store and bought a can of scoal cherry
I am  back to chewing a can every two days, good news the weight is going away, bad news I am addicted again to this filthy habit.

Hang in there and do not put any tobacco back in your mouth
mtngoat
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I just quit smoking and I am sure it is very different from what you are going through, but I read somewhere that the first few days after you quit any kind of nicotine, your blood sugar actually drops. I say eat candy and drink fruit juice ( heck even if the blood sugar thing is not true candy is healthier than snuff). I can relate to the sleeping problems, I am up all night right now. Diabolical suggested Tylenol PM. They are not addictive so perhaps that is something that you would be willing to consider. Otherwise join us here on the board and please keep us posted with your progress. Along with giving up smoking, I am giving up caffeine. Good luck. The snuff company was only going to bring suffering into your life. You took the situation by the balls and are going to do fine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#16]
My dad quit dipping and said chewing on straws and cinnamon sticks worked real well for him.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Congrats!  As a fellow former junkie let me say I know how hard it can be.  I actually quit alcohol, dipping, and caffeine all at the same time, all cold turkey.  It's a miracle someone didn't die that first week!

Stay away from other junkies for the time being.  Especially when drinking.  I had quit once or twice before, and every time I went back it was because I was drunk and a "friend" was there dipping.  If you're older, just make sure you're physically active, because you'll likely eat to kill the cravings.  I can't recomend enough that you spend the money on a gym membership or something else.  Quitting will make you feel better, but quitting and getting active will make you feel 10x better and make you never want to go back.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I quit after 30 years. It wasn't easy but it gets better as time passes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Well Fellas, I made it through another Day!

The weight gain thing Scares Me though!

I ran approximately 70 Miles a week while in highschool while training. Started at age 15, the same time I started Dipping.  I had run the Dallas White Rock Marathon twice by the age of 17 and countless other races and half marathons. Had a Bad Ass car wreck which basically wrecked my Knees at the age of 18. Running Career was OVER! After the proper surgeries, I had tried it again, but it didn't work out for me.  At 31 years old, I hit 240 lbs.  I got on the Adkins and got back down to 185(A far cry of my 135 running days).  I can't do too much leg excercise without swelling in the knees.   NOW THAT I DECIDE TO KICK THE TOBACCO, I'll probably gain some of it back?!?!? I hadn't even thought of that.

I guess It'll be back to the straight meat diet if I start packing the pounds on!  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#20]
When I tried to quite smoking ,I went and bought the patch well i found out im allergic to the stuff they put on the patch. A bright red and burning square patch of skin so I decided to try the gum put one piece in my mouth and instantly spewed .So now Im trying to cut  down in steps so far a pack of smokes lasts me 2 days so hopefully soon i will be able to hold off the urge to smoke that will be a happy day for me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top