Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/18/2004 5:00:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:32:07 PM EST
I think I have directions for that somewhere - I'll send it to you (when I locate it) if no one else has the information. I have been intending to make one of the puff quilts also - maybe this winter I'll work on it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:47:50 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:56:34 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:23:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:01:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/19/2004 4:04:38 AM EST by MrsWildweasel]
Mrs G. Those are beautiful. I have a Coca-Cola quilt to finish for my brother. I want to make a few more too. I enjoy sewing. I have a couple of friends that are having a baby so I think I will try to sit down and make some baby ones out of flannel. I made one for my son when he moved from his crib to a bed. He still uses it. Now I just need the time. Also as far as the puff quilt if it is the one I am thinking of squares are same size and they are stuffed with nylons pantyhose. My mother in law is finishing one her mother started. The sucker is heavy though. Me I think I would use stuffing.(poly fill)
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:24:25 AM EST
Wow! Those are beautiful! I made a quilt once - it was a kit. I cross-stitched 4 bears and a poem:

"I see the moon
and the moon sees me
God bless the moon
and God bless me."

And then did the quilting stitches.

Now for the point -- This was the first and only quilt I've done, because between the quilting and the cross stitching, my hand looked like a claw by the time I was done and stayed cramped up that way for a week. I have much respect for ladies who actually "quilt". How do you type?????? Are your hands all clawed up????? Or am I just a wimp?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:30:46 AM EST
i can sew on a button...................

well, i crosstitch when i actually have time--nothing as elaborate as those beautiful things.......
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:20:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2004 1:20:59 PM EST by Donna]
Okay, I must admit, I thought maybe this was "code" for something we didn't want the guys to read!!! We should remember that in the future!

I do NOT quilt, but they are SO nice to snuggle up in on a cold winter's night!! Those of you who know how or are even attempting it have my utmost respect!!

(Checking the Animations post now....)

(THAT'S IT!!)
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:46:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2004 10:47:26 PM EST by brasspile]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:45:43 AM EST
I reaaaaallllyyyyy want to learn to quilt. Those are beautiful MrsG!! How did you learn? Was it passed down to you from your mom, or did you pick it up as an adult?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:36:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:22:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/22/2004 6:23:53 PM EST by MarianLibrarian]
Can I play too???

Here is a rag quilt I did last year...we use it as a slip cover for an old chair.

And here is my current half-finished project. A baby quilt for my nephew whom is due in mid-October.

Sorry I don't have instructions for a puff quilt...I just wanted to show off too!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:40:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:11:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By MrsGloftoe:
Ooooh, ML, I love the novelty print with the nine patch border! How are you going to quilt it - outline the lizards? Do you machine or hand quilt?

I am trying to decide what to do...I hadn't even thought to outline the lizards! That might be the easiest. I usually machine quilt, but since this one is so small, I think I'm going to try to do it by hand...a first for me! Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:20:47 AM EST
Awesome!......Quilts! Cool work ladies, any of them done without a machine?

I started making quilts by hand from old blue jeans. The sewing machines we had never had the strength to handle the heavy material, so my fingers got caloused.

I made single sized for each of my single borthers and double for my married brothers and both parents. On one of the parent ones, I used crochet thread to embroder all the seams to prevent fraying and used a flannel sheet to back the quilt.

I have been working on a new project, using bandanas making a star burst design. That will take many years to come, all by hand. The embrodery work is intense. I can understand why the women of the earlier centuries used groups to work on quilts.

Then my MIL gave me one her mother had started, and I have spent the last 2 years fixing and reinforcing the seams and finishing it. Some of the materials were from clothing back in the 1920's. I hope to finish it by next year. A friend of mine has the exact same pattern in a quilt from her great grandmother and I am using it as a reference in order to properly finish it.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:27:15 AM EST
Annarchy,
You have WAY more patience than I could ever hope to muster up. I do mine all by machine (except the one I am working on now, I think I will be doing the quilting by hand). I bet the one you are working on is beautiful!
ML
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:15:55 AM EST

Some of the squares that are complete and the pattern.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:52:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/25/2004 3:52:40 AM EST by MarianLibrarian]
Those are beautiful and much more intricate than I think I could ever manage!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:01:43 PM EST

Does anyone here quilt? I am considering making a puff (a.k.a. "biscuit") quilt for my friend's baby but I don't have any books specifically for puff quilting. I'm trying to decide whether to go the route where you make one square larger than the other and put some tucks in that side. or just to make both sides even and have it less fluffy. I'm also trying to figure out what kind of batting to use.

I'm borrowing my husband's account while waiting for the setup for my own.

There's a good set of instructions at this url www.reddawn.net/quilt/puff.htm . Both versions are there -- with tucks and without. The one with the tucks will lay flatter on the bottom. I'd recommend you use polyester batting or stuffing for this type of quilt. As a professional machine quilter, I recommend cotton or cotton blends for regular 'layered' quilts.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:59:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:04:12 AM EST
Yep! I have a Gammill Optimum and have been quilting professionally for almost 2 years now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:13:14 AM EST
Quliting is cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:18:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 4:19:39 AM EST by Corvus]

Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:
Quliting is cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet!

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:33:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By Spudgunner:
Yep! I have a Gammill Optimum and have been quilting professionally for almost 2 years now.

Well, I forsee some mail order business coming your way!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:45:23 AM EST
Quilting has great potential for creating large scale Marpat camouflage.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:27:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:
Quilting has great potential for creating large scale Marpat camouflage.

I didn't think you were allowed to say that word. You're gonna be big trouble, mister!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:24:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:38:10 PM EST
Okay, an update on the critter quilt: I tried my hand a hand-quilting around the animals and have figured out that I will PAY someone to do this on all quilts I make from here on out! It does look cool, but it is way more difficult than the books say it is! Mrs. Spudgunner and I will probably become lifelong friends after this!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:15:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:35:16 AM EST

Actually I enjoy hand-quilting, but you've gotta build up that callous on the underneath finger or else you'll get really, really sore. I've hand-quilted all of mine so far.

You are way more of woman than I will ever be then! If this baby is lucky, I'll have it done by his 10th birthday!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:35:39 PM EST
Maybe if some one is from the area of Waco for the GS-Could arrange a small shopping trip to some local quilt stores?
Top Top