Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/6/2001 9:11:47 AM EDT
If my dad who lives out of state, wants to transfer a pistol to me, do we need one FFL or two. I think I just need my local FFL to do the paperwork. Is this correct? (This is a TN to MS transfer, so no socialist state gov't is involved :) ) thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 9:52:26 AM EDT
Legally, a handgun transfered across state lines can only be done dealer to dealer...But if there are no socialist laws in your state that require registration, who would know? Maybe your dad gave you the handgun when you both lived in the same state. Steve
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:19:33 AM EDT
From an earlier post, New York residents have to get the pistol legally disposed of on their NY pistol permit. To do that, they have submit to the police the FFL of the dealer, badge number of the LEO, or pistol permit number of the person they sold it to. Gotta love them NY laws.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 11:08:42 AM EDT
Dad came over and visited and happened to have a gun with him so you all could go to the range, and you bought it from him. Or you and dad can go to your friendly gun store and book it into stores books and turn around and dispose of it on a 4473 to you, all fine and dandy and 100% legal there, may cost a couple bucks for the license holders time and ink pen rental.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:58:02 AM EDT
Only the receiving dealer needs to be an FFL holder. The sender (your Dad) can send the handguns directly to the dealer. Be sure that the dealer will receive from a nonlicensee. Many dealers won't either through ignorance of the law or as a CYA.
Top Top