Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/30/2005 11:11:51 AM EDT
What's the point of the lens hood? My D70 kit lens came with one, but I don't know what it's purpose is. I've been shooting without it, am I missing something about its use?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:13:06 AM EDT
I'm guessing to reduce/eliminate glare from the side?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:14:09 AM EDT
It acts as a visor to prevent lens flare. If you are shooting without it and the sun is not at your rear, there is a chance the light will flare up in your lens, thus messing up your picture.

Wide angle lenses are especially prone to this.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:14:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By nationwide:
I'm guessing to reduce/eliminate glare from the side?

It looks like it's a petal shape, with four pieces that stick out.

Does it have any adverse effect on shots taken without any flare coming in?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:15:31 AM EDT
One specific to the lens will reduce glare. It's also cheap insurance if and when you drop the camera. The canon ones are pretty strong plastic and absorb a lot of energy, saving the more expensive parts, maybe even the camera if you're lucky.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:19:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman:

Not unless you are using your built-in flash, then it may possibly interfere with the flash, ie giving you a big black shadow at the bottom of your image.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:23:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Alchemist:

Not unless you are using your built-in flash, then it may possibly interfere with the flash, ie giving you a big black shadow at the bottom of your image.

Alrighty then. Guess I'll be shooting with it for now on, unless the flash is needed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:36:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Alchemist:

Alrighty then. Guess I'll be shooting with it for now on, unless the flash is needed.

It does tend to block the built-in flash when shooting wide shots. Get the SB-800 speedlight if you can, it is worth the $$$.
Top Top