Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2002 10:22:27 AM EDT
I go to college in washington state but live in idaho. There is a gunshow in washington this weekend. What are the laws, if any, regarding out of state private sales? Long guns different then handguns? Is there a federal restriction, state level? Help me out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:28:31 AM EDT
Idaho law allows purchase in "contiguous " states (i.e. if you are a resident of a surrounding state, you can buy in Idaho). Washington may be similar. Go to www.packing.org . They have links to all states and purchase laws. AB
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:42:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2002 10:44:53 AM EDT by TBoltChief]
Here is what I found. Looks like it's legal. Don't take my word for it though. Hope this helps. AB For Wahington: http://search.leg.wa.gov/wslrcw/RCW%20%20%209%20%20TITLE/RCW%20%20%209%20.%2041%20%20CHAPTER/RCW%20%20%209%20.%2041%20.124.htm And Idaho: http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/newidst?sctid=180330014.K
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:43:07 AM EDT
I went to packing.org but was unable to find anything about purchase laws. I did find lots of good info about CCW laws. I do know that for dealer purchases of longuns, connecting states are ok. Handguns through a dealer must be transferred to an ffl in your home state. What I am unclear on is private sales. If there is a handgun at this gunshow that is privately for sale, am I legal in purchasing it? Or is that only for long guns? Or are private purchases restricted to your home state only?
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:46:36 AM EDT
The Idaho statute doesn't specifiy Private or Dealer. AB
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:04:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2002 11:05:44 AM EDT by Arc_Angel]
Also, try here: [url]http://www.nraila.org/library.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:41:23 PM EDT
If you're talking about the WAC gunshow in Puyallup, you have to be a member to buy or sell firearms. Just FYI. Also, ATF definitely DOES patrol the place. They busted a guy from Oregon last year who was buying and selling without bothering to have an FFL.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:44:46 PM EDT
All I know about the subject is that federal law says you have to follow state laws in both the state of residence and the state of purchase. If you reside in CA, you are not allowed to purchase out of state.
Top Top