Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 6:38:27 PM EDT
My wife is a very independent person who loves shooting. She (and I) want her to get a CCW handgun. I would like to hear womens opinions' about what handgun to CCW with. She wants a semi auto, small in size, she really doesn't like my Glock 27 that much but she does shoot it well. She is in her mid 20's, works at night, drives a lonely stretch of road, weighs about 115 and is 5'1". She has seen the kel tec auto pistols and likes that size. I would feel better with a larger caliber. She has shot my snub 38 and my .40. Thank you very much
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have carried a glock (can't remember which model), a Bersa 380, and right now my carry is Kimber Ultra Elite. Got it used (brand new in box) for a song and a dance.
I really liked the bersa, but wanted more fire power so I searched and found the Kimber.
I would suggest taking her to stores, let her fondle, test fire if they have a range, and see what she feels is the best.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have Glocks, Kahrs, Sigs, Berettas and a Kel-tec.  I like all of them.  For carry, I prefer a Glock.  If I need to use it , there is nothing to think about but aim and pull the trigger.  That is my personal preference.     I carry my Kel-tec when I am wearing clothing that will not conceal a larger handgun and when I am exercising.  I agree with the posting above, she should shoot a few different handguns and decide what is the most comfortable for her.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
HK USP Compact 9mm

or

HK P2000 Sub compact 9mm
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Resist the urge to "help" too much.  The best CCW for your wife is something she is comfortable with, can shoot well and will actually carry, not necessarily what you would like her to have.  The more it suits her the more she's liable to shoot it.

A good example is my wife.  She keeps a Taurus 85, 38 snubby under her pillow as I thought it would be the easiest to use in a panic situation.  She agrees with that, but the Taurus 85 is a little heavy for her to carry comfortably.  She fell in love with a Kel-Tec P32 in the gun shop.  I would have preferred her to have picked the 380, but it was difficult for her to rack that slide.  She loves the 32 and has taken it out to the range much more than her 38.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:18:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the "something she is comfortable with" part.  Comfort and training are key when looking for a good fit.

I also shoot well with a Glock, but find that the grip is too "bulky" for my hand. It just doesn't feel right when I pick it up, so would never choose one as my carry weapon. I have a Sig 239 in 9mm, and like the quality and feel of it so well I plan to get the same in .40 for personal carry/back-up.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:17:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The wife likes glock for simplicity. Remind her you fight how you train. If she's good with the Glock then go with it. I'm not too found of Kel-Tec, but that was just one example so I'm not saying they're junk. It was a .40  S&W my friend got for his wife. She carries his .357 snubby with .38's. My wife like my G26 for carry and my 1911 in the car or house.

Rem700PSS, have you had any problems with the P2000?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Mrs. Wedge has a .357 snub and keeps it loaded with 38 special.

This is why she does not get any back talk from me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top