Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2001 10:21:42 PM EDT
I finally went shooting today, it has been several months since I have gone due to my back injury.  Anyway,  I was out there practicing shooting prone and realized that I really didn't know if I was doing it right or not.[sniper]

I did okay, about 6-7" groups @ 100 yards with an AK47, but think I can do better. I was using a sling with my body slightly angled left of the rifle, my left arm about 4-5" left of the barrel, and my right leg angled to about my knee.[sniper]

Any suggestions for improvement??  Should my left arm be more under the barrel??  My body straighter??  Should I be as low to the ground as possible or higher?? [sniper]

I really want to practice this position more, but it does a huge number on my back.[>Q][>Q][>Q]

Thanks

sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
post this on the competition forum with attn. lew tippie and you will get some great answers......pat
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks...will do

sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds good to me.  As low as possible without "scrunching down" will keep you more stable, I would think.  Example - shooting across a depression when you are on the downslope is uncomfortable and unstable - having to get that muzzle up to make the shot sucks.  OTOH, shooting over the crest of a hill while prone is very comfortable and stable.  Just my two cents.

Glad your back shooting.

Tate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top