Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2001 12:26:30 AM EDT
In the back of my mind for a while has been this little nagging voice--"you need an accurate, scoped autoloader in .308".  

I have a DSA Standard and Carbine along with an SAR-48.  None of which are ideal platforms for scopes.  I was hoping to find a sub MOA autoloader with match ammo.

The possibles:
DSA--Medium contour or Hbar gun with a custom fixed scope mount and trigger job (pro--takes FAL mags, con--expensive for the gun/mount).

HK 91 tricked out with PSG-1 goodies or at least a good adjustable buttstock and Williams set trigger.  Pro--it's an HK, Con--very expensive.

HK PSG-1.  Pro--it is an HK.  Con--my wife would rip my nuts off if I ever spent $13k on a gun (and I am rather fond of most of my body parts, and would like to keep them attached).

M1A--a definite possible, accurate enough if worked over by a good gunsmith.  Pro--not as expensive, mags are moderately priced.  Con--Doesn't have a pistol grip.

AR-10--definitely accurate enough, Pro--not terribly expensive (especially as an Eagle Arms gun), Con--mags are godawful expensive for it.

So, I am back to a new possibility--the AR-10 from ASA that takes FAL mags.  I realize ASA had some quality problems in the past, but I seem to recall someone mentioning that they are doing better lately.  The FAL mags would be a definite plus, and the flat top is a nice built in scope mount.  

Does anyone have experience with their recent products or this gun in particular?

I would have asked this at the ASA industry forum, but it is kind of dead over there.

Thanks,

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
FYI The Armalite AR-10 can use M-14/M1A magazines.

It was originally designed to do so.

The [B]ONLY[/B] difference is that the won't hold the bolt open on the last shot [B]BUT[/B] they can be modified to do so.

Armalite offers this service but doesn't refinish the magazines. If cost is the issue then I would suggest buying as many M-14 mags as you can then over time, as money permits, have them modified or learn how to do it yourself [I don't know the details of the modification, call Armalite].

I have looked into the AR-10 many, many times in the past but the cost always put me off. I would have bought a kit or parts if I had know of a source prior to the ban here in California.

Ever, if ever this ban somehow goes away I would buy one or if I get out of this state but that is another topic in itself.....

Anyway, good luck!
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 2:01:06 AM EDT
[#2]
About a year ago I read on FAL files that because of the design of the bolt and gas system (if memory serves me), it is very difficult to build a sub-MOA FAL. This is not the case with the M1A and as a result, it's a better choice. I have 3 FALS and I cannot get the level of accuracy that I get out of my M1A.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I wasn't aware that ASA actually started production yet.

I heard the rumor they were trying but also heard (from ArmaLite) that it would be very difficult to make the common parts of an AR10 (bolt/boltcarrier fire control parts) to work in a lower that uses the FAL mag. (would have to be longer).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top