Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 12:59:59 PM EDT
...prevent myself from getting red as a fucking beet after I drink alcohol? I find that even after 1 beer, I will get super red in the face although I won't even feel buzzed yet. Is this just an issue of tolerance? or is there something I could take that could reduce the redness?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been known to drink a time or two (), and I've never experienced what you describe, nor have I seen this on any other person. You got me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's genetic or something.  Asians are very prone to the condition you describe.

<-- does not have that problem
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think it's genetic or something.  Asians are very prone to the condition you describe.

<-- does not have that problem

makes sense...I'm asian
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a bloodpressure check lately ?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had that happen before too, it seemed like it was a blood pressure thing or something, my face got red and my chest was all splotchy....weird    
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Tanning bed...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#8]
An explanation perhaps..

Alice,

I'm a Filipino-Chinese student who has discovered drinking recently. There is one problem, I turn really red!!! I have heard that this happens because I am Asian. I like to drink socially, but am very embarrassed by the whole red thing. What is it that causes this and what can I do about it?

— Wanna drink

Dear Wanna drink,

You're probably not the only red one in the bar; as many as 50 percent of people of Asian descent experience a flushed complexion after drinking alcohol. Alcohol flush reaction, the more technical name, describes the body's inability to break down ingested alcohol completely. You and others like you have an inactive enzyme, aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2), which is normally responsible for breaking down acetaldehyde, a byproduct of the metabolism of alcohol. Acetaldehyde is a toxin and if your body can't break it down, it accumulates and causes flushing. Other symptoms you might experience include dizziness, nausea, headaches, and an increased pulse.

Scientists don't know why the enzyme is inactive primarily in people of Asian descent, but it is genetic and can be passed on by either or both parents. Some researchers find that the presence of the mutation can help account for the lower levels of alcoholism in Asian communities, since many of the symptoms of alcohol flush reaction discourage people from drinking. There is some evidence that ALDH2 is inactive in higher than average levels in people of Jewish descent as well.

Because it's genetic, there isn't much you can do to prevent your red face. Tolerance levels and the severity of flushing and other symptoms vary from individual to individual, so you might want to test how much alcohol it takes before your rosiness becomes noticeable. If your coloring makes you self-conscious, sometimes the room is dark enough that people may not notice. If people do notice, they may think you are warm or excited to see them. You could also explain to any drinking partners why you're turning red, but it's likely they will soon forget about your flushed face.
There is some suspicion that a build up of acetaldehyde can cause cancer, but more research needs to be done before a definitive answer can be given. Otherwise, there are no known long-term health consequences resulting from the alcohol flush reaction.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
No clue, never have had the problem.

Might try popping a couple Ibuprofin... Mild anti-inflamitory might calm things down some.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
For me it depends on what I drink.  I can drink beer all day with no red face.  If I drink hard liquor, my face turns red for the first few.  It goes away after awhile though.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

makes sense...I'm asian

Yeah, here is ths skinny, from Intellihealth.com:

--
Q: My face has started turning red when I drink alcohol. I never had this problem until a year ago. What could be causing this?

A:  Many people get a red facial blush when they drink even relatively small amounts of alcohol. Alcohol causes the very tiny blood vessels in the skin to dilate, bringing red blood closer to the surface. This phenomenon is especially common in Asians, with about 50 percent of Asians experiencing this reaction to alcohol. The reason is genetic; those affected have an inactive form of the enzyme needed to break down alcohol's main byproduct, acetaldehyde. The higher levels of acetaldehyde can also cause other symptoms including nausea, dizziness, and headaches.

In your situation, this reaction started one year ago, so it is less likely to be related to genetics. I suspect that you have rosacea. Rosacea is a relatively common skin condition occurring most commonly in fair-skinned Caucasians. It often starts after age 30. It may be hardly noticeable at first, with the redness showing up after drinking alcohol, eating spicy foods, sitting in the sun, or being exposed to cold wind.
--

My sister turns red when she drinks; I don't.  I guess that 50% figure is pretty dead-on.  

[eta:  dolamp, you're fast! ]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No clue, never have had the problem.

Might try popping a couple Ibuprofin... Mild anti-inflamitory might calm things down some.

___

Ibuprofin + alcohol = liver death

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Alcohol dilates the weins.  Nothing to do about it.
You should be prone to a good drinker's nose; so watch it!
Lots of heavy drinkers end up with red skin.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#14]
That can be from a lack or a deficiency in the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase, which converts ethanol to acetaldhyde.  Ethanol is a vasodilator, so your blood vessels increase in size, including the capillaries in your face.  This allows more blood through those capillaries and thus, the red color.  But then again, I'm not a doctor and have only learned this stuff through my chemistry courses.  Could be something completely different

Ok, maybe I shoulda read the thread before replying as it has already been answered
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I'll be damned. Ya learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#17]
damn...I was really hopin for a remedy here
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

drink only in dimly-lit places, no one will notice you're turning into a lobster

did you pledge anywhere?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#19]
No shit. There was an Asian guy at a bar I used to go to that turned red every once in awhile. When he was red, we knew to avoid him because he'd always be a little belligerant at that point. I always wondered as it seemed kind of weird. Even the bar tender knew to cut him off when he started turning red.

I always thought he was red because he was getting himself upset. Cool stuff to know.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ibuprofin + alcohol = liver death

True... if liver = stomach and death = ulcers, OR  ibuprofin = acetaminophen.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...prevent myself from getting red as a fucking beet after I drink alcohol? I find that even after 1 beer, I will get super red in the face although I won't even feel buzzed yet. Is this just an issue of tolerance? or is there something I could take that could reduce the redness?

One possible solution to red face (sorry borrowed from another thread):

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/3931/fakeandbake3va8le.jpg

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

drink only in dimly-lit places, no one will notice you're turning into a lobster

did you pledge anywhere?

Nope, couldn't get back to campus that early.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top