Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 5:30:01 AM EDT
This weekend I met a guy from New Jersey at the range.  He told me you cannot own AR's in New Jersey.  Is this true?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes and no...NJ has a generic types-banned list, and a name specific list..i.e a Colt AR-15 is illegal (it's named) but something like a RRA receiver isn't illegal...I think it can't have a designation model of "AR" on it anywhere. One of the many reasons Colt switched from naming them AR15, to offical model names like Colt Match Target and such...

I never tried to get a FOID when I lived in NJ, so my info might be a little off..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You met a guy from Jersey. What exit?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes and no...NJ has a generic types-banned list, and a name specific list..i.e a Colt AR-15 is illegal (it's named) but something like a RRA receiver isn't illegal...I think it can't have a designation model of "AR" on it anywhere. One of the many reasons Colt switched from naming them AR15, to offical model names like Colt Match Target and such...

I never tried to get a FOID when I lived in NJ, so my info might be a little off..

I think this is how it goes technically. Just changed the name and you are good to go I guess. I've gotten yelled at many times in gunshops when I say "let me see that AR". They're like "It's a Bushmaster, not an AR". I generally respond with "whatever".

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:43:24 AM EDT
[#4]
yep, similar to the old federal ban as far as "evil parts" count and "names" (no preban status there though)...with the addition of a 15 round limit on magazines

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Correct. I can't own a Colt AR15 but I can own a Colt Sporter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top