Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 4:30:01 AM EST
This weekend I met a guy from New Jersey at the range. He told me you cannot own AR's in New Jersey. Is this true?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:36:39 AM EST
Yes and no...NJ has a generic types-banned list, and a name specific list..i.e a Colt AR-15 is illegal (it's named) but something like a RRA receiver isn't illegal...I think it can't have a designation model of "AR" on it anywhere. One of the many reasons Colt switched from naming them AR15, to offical model names like Colt Match Target and such...

I never tried to get a FOID when I lived in NJ, so my info might be a little off..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:37:48 AM EST
You met a guy from Jersey. What exit?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:42:26 AM EST
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
Yes and no...NJ has a generic types-banned list, and a name specific list..i.e a Colt AR-15 is illegal (it's named) but something like a RRA receiver isn't illegal...I think it can't have a designation model of "AR" on it anywhere. One of the many reasons Colt switched from naming them AR15, to offical model names like Colt Match Target and such...

I never tried to get a FOID when I lived in NJ, so my info might be a little off..

I think this is how it goes technically. Just changed the name and you are good to go I guess. I've gotten yelled at many times in gunshops when I say "let me see that AR". They're like "It's a Bushmaster, not an AR". I generally respond with "whatever".

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:43:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 4:43:46 AM EST by raysheen]
yep, similar to the old federal ban as far as "evil parts" count and "names" (no preban status there though)...with the addition of a 15 round limit on magazines
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:01:32 AM EST
Correct. I can't own a Colt AR15 but I can own a Colt Sporter.
Top Top