Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2005 12:07:54 PM EDT
In light of the f ing cost of fuel right now. Im thinking of installing a catalyic wood stove to help cut fuel costs. I dont know much about catalyic wood stoves but have had regular wood stoves around since I was a kid. any info or opinions on which is better would be appreciated. Due to the layout of my home ( high ranch) I will be forced to install the stove in the highest part of the house , the 2nd floor living room. Im wondering if I leave the fan on for the central air unit will it move the heated air to the rest of the house ? The main intake for the unit is 20 feet from the proposed stove location in the hallway. there is also a smaller intake on the ground floor. I dont know if this is a good idea or not but I can tell you that I have had gas bills that approached $1000 a month to heat the house ( I was moving in , in the dead of winter and the doors were open most of the day for several days.) and I figure since I have property not far from here with 40 acres of hardwood, 2 chainsaws and a log splitter.......might as well try to cut cost. Im also thinking of timbering that property, anyone have any experience with that ?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Paul
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:18:47 PM EDT
um why dont you just install electric heat???? be cheaper in the long run.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:23:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By protus:
um why dont you just install electric heat???? be cheaper in the long run.....

Are you demented?

It should cost $1-3 per day to run the HVAC fan. When I got my house the builder recomended running it 24/7 to keep the air from being stagnant, stale etc.........................
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:26:38 PM EDT
In this area, Electric heat is THE most expensive way to heat. that would totally bankrupt me !
Gas and Oil are more reasonable but due to the latest SHTF fuel costs are going insane. plus I think a wood stove is invaluable as a backup in any and every home. In my weekend home in the mountains I have electric heat ( was running over $400 a month) backed up by propane heat ( bout $250 a month) backed up by a woodstove and fireplace cause we get alot of power outages. I can easily cut and split 4-5 cord of wood in my spare time and that would cut down on fuel significantly I think. but only if the House fan would distribute the heat to the lower floors.
Top Top