Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 12:07:54 PM EDT
In light of the f ing cost of fuel right now. Im thinking of installing a catalyic wood stove to help cut fuel costs. I dont know much about catalyic wood stoves but have had regular wood stoves around since I was a kid. any info or opinions on which is better would be appreciated. Due to the layout of my home ( high ranch) I will be forced to install the stove in the highest part of the house , the 2nd floor living room. Im wondering if I leave the fan on for the central air unit will it move the heated air to the rest of the house ? The main intake for the unit is 20 feet from the proposed stove location in the hallway. there is also a smaller intake on the ground floor. I dont know if this is a good idea or not but I can tell you that I have had gas bills that approached $1000 a month to heat the house ( I was moving in , in the dead of winter and the doors were open most of the day for several days.) and I figure since I have property not far from here with 40 acres of hardwood, 2 chainsaws and a log splitter.......might as well try to cut cost. Im also thinking of timbering that property, anyone have any experience with that ?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Paul
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
um  why dont you just install electric heat???? be cheaper in the long run.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
um  why dont you just install electric heat???? be cheaper in the long run.....

Are you demented?

It should cost $1-3 per day to run the HVAC fan. When I got my house the builder recomended running it 24/7 to keep the air from being stagnant, stale etc.........................
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#3]
In this area, Electric heat is THE most expensive way to heat. that would totally bankrupt me !
Gas and Oil are more reasonable but due to the latest SHTF fuel costs are going insane. plus I think a wood stove is invaluable as a backup in any and every home. In my weekend home in the mountains I have electric heat ( was running over $400 a month) backed up by propane heat ( bout $250 a month) backed up by a woodstove and fireplace cause we get alot of power outages. I can easily cut and split 4-5 cord of wood in my spare time and that would cut down on fuel significantly I think. but only if the House fan would distribute the heat to the lower floors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top