Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 11:39:30 AM EDT
I have a question concerning ATM and Banks.

How come I can have a "Available" balance of 0, and "pending" balance of a few $1k and still be able to recieve money from the ATM machine?

I thought if the "available" balance was 0 I wouldn't be able to get anything out.

Am I missing something?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a question concerning ATM and Banks.

How come I can have a "Available" balance of 0, and "pending" balance of a few $1k and still be able to recieve money from the ATM machine?

I thought if the "available" balance was 0 I wouldn't be able to get anything out.

Am I missing something?

SGatr15

SGatr15:

I am your banker. Sorry for the inconvenience.  Email me with your account number and password and I will straighten this out for you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#2]
its a world bankers conspiracy
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#3]
it means that you have funds inbound (a direct payroll deposit or other electronic transer, i.e. paypal), which have had their source comfirmed, but have not yet posted to your account.

In banking is standard that the department that handles transfer operations is not able to directly post transactions to customer accounts...it's a firewall of sorts. Instead, they post a "memo" to an account indicating that funds have been received and comfrimed. If the department (or electronic system) that is able to credit and debit customer accounts is not open or online, the transaction will not be processed, instead, the memo is noted so that the customer can have access to the funds and the receiving bank can more quickly record the transactions and charge it's transaction fee to the sending banks. It's all about speeding up the flow of funds.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I t may also be that you have an open credit line, whether you know it or not.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I t may also be that you have an open credit line, whether you know it or not.

How do I find out.  My ATM card has the Visa symbol on it.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#6]
My bank allows you to overdraw on an ATM transaction, then hits you with an NSF fee, just like if you bounced a check.   No notification that the withdrawal is more than your available balance or option to decline, of course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top