Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 9:46:25 AM EDT
So we declared independence on 1776.

We fought until 1783.

We wrote a constitution and completed it 1787.

We adopted it 1789.

That's 13 years.

So what if the Iraqis want an extra week or two?  Why is the sky falling?

G
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The Articles of Confederation were adopted in 1777 and finally ratified in 1781. It was our constitution until replaced.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#2]
They have an interim constitution and government.

G
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Exactly. But, now that they're late, the best grade they can hope for is a "B"...

Thirteen years to write ours, and it still took ten amendments right off the bat to make it good enough.

—Dan
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Why?

We have become a "we want it right now" society who has the patience of a 5 year old child.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Aldo Ray's speech to the press in "The Green Berets" said it best.
The reported asked why Vietnam was taking so long to get their constitution in order.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So we declared independence on 1776.

We fought until 1783.

We wrote a constitution and completed it 1787.

We adopted it 1789.

That's 13 years.

G

We wanted our freedom. We took the initiative and rebelled. The Iraqis were complacent to live under Saddam. I hope they make a good go of it but I have no confidence in the Iraqi people. They want a theocratic dictatorship, you can count on it. We are making historic progress, no doubt about it. An extra week, fine an extra month fine.

All we can do is provide them the tools and hand it to them. If they screw it up (and they will) it does not reflect on us if we see this through. If we pull out before its finished, then yes any failure will be on us. We must do all we can do and do it properly, that way WHEN the Iraqis screw it up. Our hands will be clean.

I still think we should have crushed the Sunni completely and spilt Iraq into two nations. Kurd and Shia. Thos two may be able to co exist in a  federation, the Sunnis will not and can not.

I have the utmost faith in our boys. Unfortunately I cannot say the same of the Iraqi people. Sorry, its just how I feel about them. At least we are setting up an arena to destroy the terrorists far fro home. that right there is worth it to me.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
They want a theocratic dictatorship, you can count on it.

I don't think so, and I don't think even the Iranians want that.  They'd toss the mullahs out if they could get organized.

Rebellion isn't as easy as you think.  These days the government has access to technology - monitoring communications, cracking down on demonstrations with non-lethal weapons, observing crowds via cameras and helicopters - that makes it easier to crush the people.

Look at the Chinese, they wanted democracy and got tanks running them over.  Not a peep out of those folks for 20 years...

G
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top