Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 12:34:10 PM EDT
So I'm sitting here doing the job of about three people (accounting) because we've laid folks off and there's fewer of us left.

I was just reflecting back to a meeting I had in the year 2000.  I had someone in our field office ask me to pay an invoice.  To do this, I would have to look through an 18 inch high pile, find it and pay it.  I asked them if they could just send me a copy.  (I was lazy.)

Anyways, we have a meeting about this with my supervisor in his office along with teleconference of two clerical level folks and their supervisor  in Phoenix.  After being on the phone for 20 mintues it was determined that I should not do that and I should dig through the pile instead of requesting copies.

It just dawned on me that companies have gotten away from these meetings.  There's just not enought people around to make a big deal out of TPS related issues.  I actually kind of enjoy this mess I'm in because I'm being productive and we don't have to have non-productive TPS meetings.  Anyone else notice this?

(The company I worked for was a construction company that built Target's headquarter building in Minneapolis.  The campus has two buildings, one called Target Plaza South.  So yes we actually did have TPS reports.  )
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have found that with the last few years of business being in the shitter, people have lots of times to come up with "problems" for me to solve.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

(The company I worked for was a construction company that built Target's headquarter building in Minneapolis.  The campus has two buildings, one called Target Plaza South.  So yes we actually did have TPS reports.  )

Yeah, but did you get the memo?  We're putting covers on all the TPS reports now...

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like my wife's job, she is also in accounting.  There used to be at least 10 people in accounting now they are down to 4 and the new owners still expect them to get the work done.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So I'm sitting here doing the job of about three people ... because we've laid folks off and there's fewer of us left...

Sounds familiar.

Oh, and... ummm... about Saturday?

If you don't come in on Saturday, don't bother coming in on Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#7]
someonestolemyredswinglinestaplerandtheykeepputtingmeinadifferentcubicle
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
If they feel the most efficient use of your time is to have you be paid to sift through a pile of paperwork in search of a specific document, I say go with it.

Its easy, mindless work...nothing to get stressed out over...just take your time and find that invoice.
Of course, dont forget to mention to the boss that there are time / productivity constraints associated with the choice....if you are spending an hour going through the pile, that hour wont be spent doing anything else....certainly not spent generating actual profit for the company.

Cant really say what is normal in the corporate setting any longer....havent been in cube world in many years. I dont miss the pointlessness of it all. Lots of process to govern little if any actual, tangible progress.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top