Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2009 10:22:34 PM EDT
I've seen the specs on 32 H&R Magnum, but these seem to be based on use in a snub nose. Do you think the significantly longer barrel on the Nagant revolver could have a positive effect on the ballistics of the round?
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I've seen the specs on 32 H&R Magnum, but these seem to be based on use in a snub nose. Do you think the significantly longer barrel on the Nagant revolver could have a positive effect on the ballistics of the round?

You sure it's safe to shoot that? I just got a M1895 Nagant and have no ammo for it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2009 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure it's safe to shoot that? I just got a M1895 Nagant and have no ammo for it.

Most people online seem to think so, I've put about 100 rounds through it with no issue. Sometimes the cases bulge at the base but it's barely noticeable and doesn't even effect extraction.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
bump
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's generally not a good idea to do so, unless you get a replacement cylinder for .32 H&R Magnum or .32 ACP.

With stock cylinders, only the original 7.62 X 38R cartridge should be used. .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum can be fired out of a factory cylinder. But it's not really a safe practice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's generally not a good idea to do so, unless you get a replacement cylinder for .32 H&R Magnum or .32 ACP.

With stock cylinders, only the original 7.62 X 38R cartridge should be used. .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum can be fired out of a factory cylinder. But it's not really a safe practice.

Really? I did a lot of research before doing it and I didn't see anyone with an issue?
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? I did a lot of research before doing it and I didn't see anyone with an issue?[/quote]

Perhaps not......but do you want to be the first?  
You might be the guy that posts here
"hey.....I just blew my hand up with my Nagant".

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? I did a lot of research before doing it and I didn't see anyone with an issue?

I'm aware that the only problem generally experienced was with bulged shell casings after firing. But there is potential for other problems with this practice.

The 7.62 X 38R cartridge has different dimensions than the two American .32 revolver cartridges. And the revolver, with the original chambering/cylinder, was designed to take advantage of the unique "gas sealing" system. The unique cartridge/operation combo makes using the more widely available American rounds, in the original cylinder, iffy at best.

My next point is a matter of common sense safety: Unless there is ESTABLISHED compatibility with multiple chamberings in one cylinder, as with the .357 Magnum/.38 Special/.38 Long and Short Colt, it's best to stick with the round it was chambered for. Unless, of course, you change the cylinder (much like the 9mm cylinders once offered for .357 Ruger Super Blackhawks).

It's generally better, and safer, to simply replace the cylinder with one that will allow safe firing of the .32 H&R Magnum. I don't know the current availability of these replacement units. But Century Arms, the last time I checked, still offered the .32 ACP replacement cylinder. In the past, they've also offered M1895s in .32 S&W Long.

A big note here: replacement cylinders have been offered in 7.62 X 25 Tokarev. But due to the higher pressures generated from that round, it's highly recommended that one avoids using them with the M1895 Nagant.

I own a M1895 Nagant myself (Tula Arsenal, dated 1941, Century Arms import). J&G Sales has Hotshot brand 7.62X38R ammo in stock (and lots of it). And it's not terribly expensive, compared with commercial ammo prices today (in general). That's the route I take. I enjoy my piece of firearms history too much to risk fucking it up out of simple convenience.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not do it myself but I have a couple customers that buy a fair amount of  .32 long from me for their nagants

they have done it for years but they get alot of bulged and split cases

it would suck to catch something in the eye trying to save a few bucks shooting a $80 revolver
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top