Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2001 4:39:53 AM EDT
Question. What happens to the files you fill out when you purchase a firearm from a FFl if he closes down? I have bought several guns from one store and it closed down for good..
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Why they go to the ATF and they keep the records there.

(C6) What records am I required to forward to ATF upon discontinuance of my business? [Back]

The records consist of the licensee's bound acquisition/ disposition (A/ D) records, ATF Forms 4473, ATF Forms 5300.35 (the Brady forms), ATF Forms 3310.4 (Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers), ATF Forms 3310.11 (Federal Firearms Licensee Theft/ Loss Report), records of transactions in semiautomatic assault weapons, and law enforcement certification letters. If the licensee was granted a variance to use a computerized recordkeeping system, the licensee is required to provide a complete print-out of the entire A/ D records, and an ASCII text file (conforming to common industry standards) along with a file description. [27 CFR 178.127]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:49:09 AM EDT
[#2]
When "out of business" the dealer is required to send in his 4473s to the BATF guys.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Used to be that the dealer could destroy the records after 20 years.  I'm not sure if that part of the law got changed or not.

Around 1994, a lot of (soon-to-be-ex-)dealers had floods, termite problems, and fires.  It was a terrible year in a lot of ways.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why they go to the ATF and they keep the records there.

(C6) What records am I required to forward to ATF upon discontinuance of my business? [Back]

The records consist of the licensee's bound acquisition/ disposition (A/ D) records, ATF Forms 4473, ATF Forms 5300.35 (the Brady forms), ATF Forms 3310.4 (Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers), ATF Forms 3310.11 (Federal Firearms Licensee Theft/ Loss Report), records of transactions in semiautomatic assault weapons, and law enforcement certification letters. If the licensee was granted a variance to use a computerized recordkeeping system, the licensee is required to provide a complete print-out of the entire A/ D records, and an ASCII text file (conforming to common industry standards) along with a file description. [27 CFR 178.127]
View Quote

hmmmmmmmmm, then they have the paperwork I filled out to get the Bushmaster V-Match.  Good thing I sold it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top