Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2012 2:50:32 PM EDT
Title says it all.

I've been living here for 13 years. The landlord has had a very "hands off" policy. In exchange for cheap rent, I did everything. Toilet broke, I fixed it; sink broke, I fixed it; faucets, light fixtures, outlets... I did it.

When the place started looking a little ratty, I painted it. All out of my pocket. Never bothered my landlady or her son for anything. Also, I always took out my landlady's garbage, and shoveled the snow in the winter.

(Heck, one time my wife and I went on vacation, so we put our garbage out early before we left. Fucking Sanitation cops tagged my landlady with a summons for it. Told her, "Give it to me, and don't worry about it." Paid it, and all was well.)

Now, as we're emptying the place out in anticipation of moving... it looks a little ratty again. Not "frat party" bad, but a little frayed around the edges. I mean, it's been 13 years.

Now that my landlady has passed, I don't want to screw her son. On the other hand, he hasn't exactly been "Johnny On The Spot" when stuff went wrong, either.

So, how far do you think I should go in sprucing up the place when we spilt? (Acknowledging that, now that his mom is gone, he is probably just going to sell the building for a shit-ton of money.)

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever was in your lease contract. I would leave it clean.

How much he makes on it doesnt have anything to do with you doing the right thing.

It will come back to you. Do the right thing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Empty it out and mop, dust, clean windows and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Whatever was in your lease contract.

Lease? Never had a lease.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
We leave the place as clean as when I moved in.  The last apt. complex I lived in actually called me when they did the inspection after I moved out and said that it was the cleanest anyone had ever left an apt. and they were more than happy to refund my deposit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be more worried about not having equity in my own home.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

We leave the place as clean as when I moved in.  The last apt. complex I lived in actually called me when they did the inspection after I moved out and said that it was the cleanest anyone had ever left it and they were more than happy to refund my deposit.
Impossible.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
If you were dating a girl that you thought was "out of your league", and she was going to come to your house for the first time,

how clean would the house be if you didn't want her to think you were a basement-dwelling, no-life having, loser who had

no future?

That is how clean.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If it was your place how clean would you like the renter
to leave it?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Not if you saw my investment portfolio.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#10]
We always left a rental in better condition than we found it. Luckily, we had good landlords.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
We leave the place as clean as when I moved in.  The last apt. complex I lived in actually called me when they did the inspection after I moved out and said that it was the cleanest anyone had ever left it and they were more than happy to refund my deposit.
Impossible.

My mom will bring the rug shampooer cleaner thingiemabob she has and do all the carpets.  Wipes down everything, etc.  Her and my aunt are kinda anal about things like that so who am I to stop them?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Leave it Clean.

Normal wear and tear is normal wear and tear.  After 13 years they should expect to replace carpet/paint and generally update it anyway.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Was that really necessary?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We leave the place as clean as when I moved in.  The last apt. complex I lived in actually called me when they did the inspection after I moved out and said that it was the cleanest anyone had ever left an apt. and they were more than happy to refund my deposit.

Last place I moved out of screwed me, gave me back $45 of $150.  Everything else was cleaning fees . . . got to keep her buddies employed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Leave it clean and tidy with a 6 pack. Anything above that is gilding the lily. The next renters/owners might be gutting the place.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I had to pre pay a move out cleaning fee, so I'm not doing a damn thing.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Normal wear and tear is normal wear and tear.  After 13 years they should expect to replace carpet/paint and generally update it anyway.
Thank you. Exactly what I was thinking.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Impossible.

no kidding-

i had same landlord as OP
fixed EVERYTHING- shoveled/mowed..everything.
time to move out––-landlord "finds" everything possible wrong with the place...and keeps our deposit...even sending us a bill for more.
may all of fuck be on him, and i will have my revenge...in ths life or the next....
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same here.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same here...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Sweep, vacuum and clean out all the cabinets. Don't leave any trash. You did your part.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last place I moved out of screwed me, gave me back $45 of $150.  Everything else was cleaning fees . . . got to keep her buddies employed.

punch her in the cooter
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I repair any holes I made in the walls or woodwork, but that is about it. General painting, new carpeting etc. is the responsibility of the owner.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I repair any holes I made in the walls or woodwork, but that is about it. General painting, new carpeting etc. is the responsibility of the owner.  

This.  I leave it clean but depreciation is factored into my rent and I'm certainly not painting or recarpeting any more than I'd buy new appliances to replace old worn out ones.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good on you for asking!!!

My wife has a 2 bedroom rental.
Shit happens and shit wears out.
As long as I don't have to get a dumpster to empty closets, fridge and basement...it's a WIN.

Last guy trashed the place, I kept bills from the maintenance guy and dinged his deposit.

Usually we have the carpets cleaned between tenants, this guy's dog pissed everywhere so he bought the new carpet and padding.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Congrats, you've bought into the big lie –– the lie that convinced 'mericans that their houses were supposed to be a sink for wealth storage and generation instead of a place to live.

For the standard 30 year loan, most people are –– in essence –– RENTING their house from the bank during the first 15 years anyway.  

Go run an amortization for a $100K purchase on a 30 year note with 5 or 6% interest.

Some observations:  

1.  It takes nearly 20 years before the inflection point where you're finally paying more dollars to equity than to interest.
2.  In the first 10 years, you wind up with less than 20% of the original purchase price in "equity" –– and that assumes the property has not gone upside down, has not had to have capital repairs and expenses (reroofing, carpeting, plumbing issues, etc).
3.  There's no guaranty the mortgage interest deduction will continue.  In fact, its on the chopping block right now in the fiscal cliff negotiations.
4.  As hinted above, total cost of housing doesn't just equal the mortgage payment.  There's insurance, there's taxes, there's repairs, there's new roofs, and new driveways, and all sorts of other expenses a landlord takes care of when you rent.  

There are certainly arguments that buying makes sense for a lot of folks.  But its a myth that everyone ought to be a buyer.  There are lots of arguments for renting rather than owning, especially if equivalent rentals are the same cost per month as an expected mortgage payment.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Leave it Clean.

This.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#28]
If you have class, you clean it up to the point where it was when you first moved in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good on you for asking!!!

My wife has a 2 bedroom rental.

Shit happens and shit wears out.

As long as I don't have to get a dumpster to empty closets, fridge and basement...it's a WIN.

Last guy trashed the place, I kept bills from the maintenance guy and dinged his deposit.

Usually we have the carpets cleaned between tenants, this guy's dog pissed everywhere so he bought the new carpet and padding.
Oh God, I'd never leave "stuff" behind. The place will be empty when we move.

It's just that, the landlord's son was in charge of the rehab before we moved in. Everything (carpets, appliances, fixtures, you name it) was the cheapest stuff he could find.

The place is showing it's age. I just don't want to insult the guy when we leave.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If you have class, you clean it up to the point where it was when you first moved in.
Again, impossible.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#32]
As a landlord I would recommend taking your strands of hair from the fridge with you when you move out........

Had a tenant who had strands of her hair in the fridge...like she was brushing her hair in the fridge.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This, exactly this.

When I rented, I would leave a place ready for the next tenants. I always got my entire deposit back.

And once again, impossible.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Leave it Clean.

This right here. No reason to leave it dirty, but normal wear and tear is expected.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#35]
My credit is getting back on track so I will be moving soon,I will try to leave this place a little better than when I moved in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#36]
same condition or better than I found it
remember that if youre looking for another place they often call the prior landlord that you rented from
also in most cases they have a deposit and can take mouey out for someone to clean or repair what you have left..its usually expensive too

even if she is going to leave it to her son I wouldnt do more just same as I oud it at minimum
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Has anyone read the OP?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Clean it, don't paint it.

ETA: normal wear and tear is normal.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Has anyone read the OP?

Fuck NO, this is GD.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Last house we rented was owned by a crack whore.
The rental agency and the owner let us move in before it had been cleaned.
It took about two months before we got the place squared away.

When we moved the place was spotless, the property manager told me that it was the cleanest hose she had ever seen.

The property management company refunded out pet deposit in full, the fucktard owner kept the security deposit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

i just left a similar situation when i bought my house.

i cleaned up the trash and swept the floors thats about it. i knew the landlord would be repainting and renovating some things so there is no need to patch nail holes and repaint. i put a few thousand over the years into the upkeep in exchange for cheap rent i didn't feel obligated beyond that.
This is what I was thinking.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#43]
OK, been in the business for the past 23 years. Just so you know where I'm coming from

Vacuum and dust.  They can't charge you for items that are normal wear and tear. After 13 years, having to replace the carpet, for example, is normal wear and tear.

If the son tries to give you grief let me know and I'll help you tear him a new one.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

OK, been in the business for the past 23 years. Just so you know where I'm coming from

Vacuum and dust.  They can't charge you for items that are normal wear and tear. After 13 years, having to replace the carpet, for example, is normal wear and tear.

If the son tries to give you grief let me know and I'll help you tear him a new one.
Thanks. Carpet was actually one of the big things that I was worried about. My carpet is the cheapest indoor/outdoor Odd-Lot crap fest ever. People have better carpet on their patios.

Again, I wasn't having frat parties or taming lions, but it's been 13 years. It looks like shit.

They guy went on the cheap when he redid the place. It's all looking ratty. I'm not rehabbing it before I leave.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Has anyone read the OP?

I did, and stand by my post.

I realize that my idea of what you do when moving out is different than most people. I grew up on Army bases, and when you leave base quarters they are expected to be ready for the next family before you leave. This applied to everybody, whether you had been there for six months, or 15 years.

Funny story, at least to me.  My buddy and I go and visit a platoon buddy who lives in on-base housing.  He had two big-ass dumb dogs that were very obviously pissing where ever they chose.  Mu buddy just walks over to the corner of the kitchen and starts pissing.  Dude is like, "What the fuck man!"  My friend says, "Shit, everyone else is pissing over here."  Sometimes, it's less messy in the barracks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#47]
"Broom swept"
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We always left a rental in better condition than we found it. Luckily, we had good landlords.

This, be a man clean up after yourself...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#49]
We've always vacuumed, swept, given it a quick scrub in the bathrooms and kitchen, except for one dump with the worst asshole landlord I care to ever know.  We just yanked our shit out of there and left.  It was still a thousand times better than we found it though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Could you at least clean the place up.

I'm a landlord. I'd be happy if you took all the lamps, trash, and furniture with you.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top