Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 3:20:24 PM EDT
So I keep getting mail solicitations for all these different LEO-benefit charities, like the 11-99 Foundation, and the Officers Memorial Fund and whatnot.

I've heard some people proclaim that donating to one and affixing the sticker to their car gets them out of tickets, but I think that's a bunk reason to donate.

Of the various organizations, which would be the best to donate to (from a LEO's perspective)?

Thanks in advance.

-Lee
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd call my local LE organization and ask if they sponsor any charitable events. Before the "no-call" list, I used to call the Sheriff's union every couple of months when I got a call to verify whether "charity X" was legit.

I once had some scammer tell me if I sent $25, I'd get a sticker "just like the ones the officer put on the back of their own cars".  

I responded "really - just like an active FOP member sticker?"

"Yes!" I was told.

"So why don't I just walk down the hall and ask my local secretary for one?"

"Ask your local secretary?"

"Yes, at my FOP Local... at City Hall... where I work..."

"Well, you have a pleasant night...   <CLICK>"
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
My vote would go to your local Law Enforcement Chaplaincy or similar program.

These are community volunteers who help cops on scenes where support is needed for greiving families, friends and witnesses.  They offer support to all parties involved in major incidents and do things like speak at schools, minister to the community, help out with funerals and perform death notifications.   Some of them are even reserve officers.

Our Chaplains also council LE troops in time of loss or dealing with tough calls.  In my book, these guys and gals are invaluble.  They come out at all hours of the night and day and they do it for free.

If you are interested, IM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

NorCal

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top