Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 6:33:52 AM EDT
I am in the market for a new edger and have found a walk behind "McClane" at Home Depot for $300. It has a 3.5 horse Briggs, the chassis has 4 wheels/bearinigs, the handle seems to be a little low and the weight is somewhat heavier than what I'd like.  HD is the only place I found the "walk behind",  It seems that most businesses offer only the shaft/weed eater style with a 30cc engine being one of the larger at about 1.3 HP but is priced at around $400(Stihl). These units are lighter but you have to basically carry the weight of the engine rather then just pushing a lawn mower type.  The weed eater style seems to be more easily turned then the walk behind but at 1.3-1.5 HP they may be slightly under powered.  I know these may seem somewhat pricey but they are the high end of what I have loked at.   What do ya'll think?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You must have a fine looking lawn to have one of those things.  I simply turn my weed eater 90 degrees.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the straighter lines you get with the edgers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I cant tell you about the edgers, but I use a Stihl weedeater and love the thing. ALWAYS fires right up and has plenty of steel in its nuts to get the job done.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a two stroke Ryobi "all in one" machine.

I just change the attachment from weed eater to lawn edger when I want to do a professional looking edging job.

I have had it for over 4 years now with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I also have a convertible trimmer. A Craftsman, to be specific. Bought it with the edger and blower attachment.

As far as weight is concerned - it doesn't bother me. It doesn't have a huge amount of power from that little engine, but once you've edged you yard the firsts time, subsequent edgings are a breeze. I edge at the pace of a  fast walk if you're wondering. It stores easily and I love not having to drag the electrical cord around like with electric edgers.

My mom had a walk-behind edger that I used eons ago when I still lived at home. It was OK, but slower and harder to maneuver around.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I just change the attachment from weed eater to lawn edger when I want to do a professional looking edging job.

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#8]
bump
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#9]
We have a walk behing trimmer.  Im not sure what brand it is.

Damn thing is LOUD and high pitched, more than a "weed eater".
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Yep, takes care of all your lawnkeeping needs
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:38:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You must have a fine looking lawn to have one of those things.  I simply turn my weed eater 90 degrees.  

+1.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:13:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I also have a Ryobi.  They make a 4 stroke model.  I have a blower, a weed eater, a cultivator (rototiller), and an edger.  It does a fine job.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:17:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Just buy a Weed Eater and turn it on it's side 90degrees. That's what I do and it looks perfect.  Sharp looking edges.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#14]
JFP- I'm with you on the walk behind edger.  I've been looking for a used one; they are getting harder to find.  I really don't want to spring for a brand new one.

The weedeater edging is fine, but if you need to give your curb a great, straight, lasting edge, then the walk behind edger is the best.  My neighbor will occasionally run his down my curb line to help me out; after that, the weedeater edging is a cinch.

IM me if you find something that works...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

IM me if you find something that works...

Stopped at several places that deal in used equipment but have only found two POS walk behinds ans no shaft type edgers   will keep looking..........
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't need no POS edgers, thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top