Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/28/2012 3:05:15 PM EDT

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2254315/Pictured-The-Russian-orphans-loved-American-families-facing-asylums-addiction-suicide-Putin-signs-ban-US-adoptions-law.html

Giggling with happiness, four-year-old Vitaliy looks like any youngster enjoying time with his parents.
But this picture of content family life may never be realized - as the couple, Aaron and Jenny Moyer, are now banned from adopting the Russian boy and returning with him to their home in Georgia.
Until this week, the only things separating the Moyers from their adoptive son was paperwork and a lengthy flight - but now they are held apart by something much more impenetrable: Russian law.
On Friday, President Vladimir Putin signed a law banning U.S. citizens from adopting Russian children in retaliation to U.S. officials withholding visas from corrupt Russian politicians.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2254315/Pictured-The-Russian-orphans-loved-American-families-facing-asylums-addiction-suicide-Putin-signs-ban-US-adoptions-law.html

Giggling with happiness, four-year-old Vitaliy looks like any youngster enjoying time with his parents.
But this picture of content family life may never be realized - as the couple, Aaron and Jenny Moyer, are now banned from adopting the Russian boy and returning with him to their home in Georgia.
Until this week, the only things separating the Moyers from their adoptive son was paperwork and a lengthy flight - but now they are held apart by something much more impenetrable: Russian law.
On Friday, President Vladimir Putin signed a law banning U.S. citizens from adopting Russian children in retaliation to U.S. officials withholding visas from corrupt Russian politicians.

Good. There's plenty of children in this country that need adopting.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel for the number of affected families, but you don't need to travel thousands of miles to find a child in need of adoption.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I feel for the number of affected families, but you don't need to travel thousands of miles to find a child in need of adoption.

Then just ban all future adoptions. This blocks those who've been jumping the hoops, sometimes for years. Those kids weren't going to be adopted by any Russians, and if a family wanted to give them a chance at a future, it's on them. You don't pick the kids you fall in love with and want to make your family...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Their loss, not ours. Piss on the Russians.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
wow, imagine a government having a knee jerk reaction to something and immediately passing a law to protect the children that will have no effect other than to make the children miserable.  Where have I heard this before?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Russia is serous they ain't putin you on
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Domestic adoption is often slower (think years not months) and more expensive. That's why many American families choose foreign adoptions.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And unfortunately the barriers for good couples here in the states are ridiculous, hence the reason some couples look overseas.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]
There was a women in tenn or alabama a few years back that got a demon child from russia, sent him packing on a plane back to russia by himself.   I think shes in jail right now for it,  I am not to up to date on adoption but it seems like we have enough needy kids here, is it like dogs where everyone wants puppies

when i get a wife i am going to adopt a couple kids and set up a 24 hour reloading room and a lawn care business
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#11]
A family member of mine adopted a baby girl from Russia back in the '90s.

To hear them tell it back then the process was bribe, bribe, bribe and then bribe a few more people into the country... find your kid at a decrepit, dickensian orphanage and pick them up... then bribe, bribe and bribe some more to get out of the country... all that only to find out the pretty little girl you adopted has more problems than football bat because of how mistreated / neglected she was as a baby. It is/was apparently very common that adopted babies from Russia suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome and a dictionary of other ailments.

The baby they adopted is like 12 or 13 now and the last time I saw her was at a family funeral. The girl was obviously "not right" and could barely speak or behave. I have been told she has been diagnosed with every acronym they have in psychology books. I have also heard this is quite common with adopted Russian children from "that era"... I have no clue how it is recently.

Needless to say even without Putin's new law I'd rather adopt a local kid than a basket case from another country.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#12]
White babies are hard to get in the US.

I know people  waiting years and never getting an all white baby.

Changed the preference to mix or black or ANYTHING and had prospects by the weekend.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Umm ugh Thanks? This is a good thing
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Our congress passed a law against corrupt politicians?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I agree, I don't think any child anywhere should be kept from a willing, loving family.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#17]
We have enough corrupt politicians of our own.  We don't need to import any.  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Our congress passed a law against corrupt politicians?

You mean they outlaw themselves?  Wouldn't that be nice.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Their loss, not ours. Piss on the Russians.

This,

We don't need all their Fetal Alcohol Syndrome kids here.  Let them deal with their own mess
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Changed the preference to mix or black or ANYTHING and had prospects by the weekend.

Not to bash a race here, but this is certainly the case. Actually heard some stats on the radio the other day regarding out of wedlock children. 25% of white children, 53% of Hispanic children, 75% of black children born out of wedlock. Can't help but regard this as a cultural issue,

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I know a guy and his wife who just adopted two Chinese kids a few months ago.  Both of the kids have physical problems at that, and even they were hard to get.  Spent a shitload of money to get them, too.  To make matters even more fun they already have three college aged kids and are well middle aged.

From what he told me the two kids have no mental problems, and their physical ones are supposed to be fully repairable with surgery(s.)

Edit:

They couldn't adopt any kids in the US because of their age, so they were forced to adopt them from another country.  Worth noting for some of these people.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The .gov will subsidize minority adoptions as well. Affirmative action now begins in the womb.
If you adopt a white child, you receive $0 from the .gov unless the child has problems - which is as it should be.
If you adopt a minority child, you get anywhere from $20 - $25/day through age 18.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I agree, I don't think any child anywhere should be kept from a willing, loving family.

I don't think US children should be kept from a loving family. We need to take of own people first.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#24]
We were loosely looking into foreign adoption.  Guess we know where NOT to go now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And unfortunately the barriers for good couples here in the states are ridiculous, hence the reason some couples look overseas.

Then those couples are impatient, ignorant and wrong in their thinking. Too many starving and mistreated kids in this country for anyone to go outside it and buy one elsewhere.

This country needs to be fixed from the inside out and importing babies while our own starve for food, love and attention is misguided and not helping matters
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't think US children should be kept from a loving family. We need to take of own people first.

I don't think who other people adopt or don't adopt is really any of your concern.  Frankly.

First, we need to mind our own business.  That's what we really need to do, first.  First and last.  That alone would fix most of what is wrong with the USA.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I thought he was doing this because some family loaded up their hellspawn on a plane & returned it to sender?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I know a couple who adopted a Russian baby several years ago.  Enormous red tape; several trips to Russia; and incredible expense.  I never understood it.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
lol

I guess I couldn't have said it any better....
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There was a women in tenn or alabama a few years back that got a demon child from russia, sent him packing on a plane back to russia by himself.   I think shes in jail right now for it,  I am not to up to date on adoption but it seems like we have enough needy kids here, is it like dogs where everyone wants puppies

when i get a wife i am going to adopt a couple kids and set up a 24 hour reloading room and a lawn care business

I think that was Minnesota. That said, I agree we need to streamline the US adoption process so American families will adopt American children. Because of idiotic laws, we have lots of kids right here at home who would love to be adopted and can't. As for expense, I can't imagine it being more expensive than flying overseas several times to "choose" your child, then paying for the adoption on top of it.

Then you've got celebrities(one couple in particular) who seem to import children because it's fashionable.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Wouldn't expect anything less from the cock suckers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I know a couple who adopted a Russian baby several years ago.  Enormous red tape; several trips to Russia; and incredible expense.  I never understood it.  

The guy I know who adopted two Chinese kids spent somewhere in the area of $75,000 when it was all said and done.  That's including the cost of going to China, for, I believe five weeks, missing wages from work.  Neither he or his wife have particularly good jobs, either.  I think they got quite a lot of donations from their church.

The five week stay was to avoid having to come back multiple times, from what I gather.  At least from what I'm told I think that was the only time he was there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think who other people adopt or don't adopt is really any of your concern.  Frankly.

First, we need to mind our own business.  That's what we really need to do, first.  First and last.  That alone would fix most of what is wrong with the USA.

We don't mind our business. Everyone is about foreign aid, foreign babies, giving to the poor in other countries and being the world police. Our country is falling apart and bringing in children from foreign countries because it is easier and cheaper leaves American children to rot in foster care, group homes and spending their whole life in the system. Those kids need to be taken out of the system, into loving homes and given a chance. If we turned all that time, money and effort inward in this country, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Frankly, I couldn't give a shit less about where someone gets there kid from. When you buy a foreign kid, you're keeping one more American child in the system. That's one more kid that, more likely than not, will stay in the welfare system their whole life. That's one more American kid that doesn't get a chance to have loving parents that will teach them to be upstanding citizens and give them a chance to do something with their lives instead of drawing a check from the government. Don't bitch about entitlement spending, welfare this and EBT that when, outside of the lazy fucks burning every dollar and Obamaphone minute they can get their worthless fucking hands on, we have American children that are forced into the system and raised to think it is acceptable behavior to wait for their government cheese.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#35]
[

when i get a wife i am going to adopt a couple kids and set up a 24 hour reloading room and a lawn care business[/quote]

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I have adopted two great kids from Russia. My son came from St. Peterberg and is smart 10 year old. He was 15 months when the adopted him. My daughter is 6 years old and came from Samara at 16 months. She is great fun loving child with mild FAS. The adoption process in the US is retarded and not any cheaper than Russia.CPS handles most adoptions because they remove children from homes for drugs, molestation ect. CPS is a pain in the ass and good case workers are few and far between.Try and get a parents parental rights terminated here it takes an act of congress[ we all can guess how long that takes].

I choose Russia due to the fact the children are in orphanages, there is no parent to deal with, only the state. Once the adoption is complete there is no worry that the parent is going to change their mind and take the child back which happens in the US. I also wanted children that fit in with my family. My wife is of Polish eastern european ancestry.

Some posters here have no idea what they are talking about. This is GD what do you expect though
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The .gov will subsidize minority adoptions as well. Affirmative action now begins in the womb.
If you adopt a white child, you receive $0 from the .gov unless the child has problems - which is as it should be.
If you adopt a minority child, you get anywhere from $20 - $25/day through age 18.

Say wha?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#38]
meh, Fuck the Russians
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We don't mind our business. Everyone is about foreign aid, foreign babies, giving to the poor in other countries and being the world police. Our country is falling apart and bringing in children from foreign countries because it is easier and cheaper leaves American children to rot in foster care, group homes and spending their whole life in the system. Those kids need to be taken out of the system, into loving homes and given a chance. If we turned all that time, money and effort inward in this country, we wouldn't be where we are today.

Frankly, I couldn't give a shit less about where someone gets there kid from. When you buy a foreign kid, you're keeping one more American child in the system. That's one more kid that, more likely than not, will stay in the welfare system their whole life. That's one more American kid that doesn't get a chance to have loving parents that will teach them to be upstanding citizens and give them a chance to do something with their lives instead of drawing a check from the government. Don't bitch about entitlement spending, welfare this and EBT that when, outside of the lazy fucks burning every dollar and Obamaphone minute they can get their worthless fucking hands on, we have American children that are forced into the system and raised to think it is acceptable behavior to wait for their government cheese.

Perhaps you mistook me.

When I said "we" should mind our own business, what I really meant was "You."
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm available for adoption to any parents that have an ammo fort.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I have adopted two great kids from Russia. My son came from St. Peterberg and is smart 10 year old. He was 15 months when the adopted him. My daughter is 6 years old and came from Samara at 16 months. She is great fun loving child with mild FAS. The adoption process in the US is retarded and not any cheaper than Russia.CPS handles most adoptions because they remove children from homes for drugs, molestation ect. CPS is a pain in the ass and good case workers are few and far between.Try and get a parents parental rights terminated here it takes an act of congress[ we all can guess how long that takes].

I choose Russia due to the fact the children are in orphanages, there is no parent to deal with, only the state. Once the adoption is complete there is no worry that the parent is going to change their mind and take the child back which happens in the US. I also wanted children that fit in with my family. My wife is of Polish eastern european ancestry.

Some posters here have no idea what they are talking about. This is GD what do you expect though

Good for you, seriously.

I have almost zero understanding of all of this, but I have friends of the family that adopted from Korean. One of their fears was the biological parents trying to come back in the picture years down the road and driving a wedge in the relationship. For that reason alone, I see no problem with adopting abroad. I'm sure the process is byzantine in the US

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few couples I know have gone through the adoption process.  They looked at Russian, Chinese, and Korean infants.  The Russian infants one might seem like an easier adoption but it's not.  Very expensive to "buy" a white baby vs. an oriental.    Add to that that the Russian orphanages have lots of damaged goods,  babies left in cribs w/o interaction and cause all sorts of social misfit problems.  At least that's what they got from adoptive groups.  

The lady that started it all with the Ruskie adoption problem was likely saddled with one of these.  She couldn't cope and flew the kid back and left him.  Very sad all around.

Anyways I just assume not pay for another societal drain.  cold and callous maybe.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Perhaps you mistook me.

Perhaps you mistook me for someone who values your opinion.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps you mistook me.

And yet, you're so quick to offer yours regarding other people's private affairs.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I know that 10 years ago it cost about $75K to get a white/light skinned kid at one of those "baby farms" they run out in CA.

The adoptive parents had to foot all expenses including the plane ticket back home for the birth mother.

That said they got what they paid for as the mother got the best of prenatal care/testing and lived at the "farm" till the baby was delivered.

The waiting list was longer than for Redskins season tickets.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#46]
The process in Russia was time consuming. The first adoption took about a year and a half. Our second adoption took about the same amount of time two years later. That was in the 2003 2007 time frame. We had no problems in court or handleing the process. They were expensive though. I will be doing one more adoption as money allows through eastern europe sometime next year. Shame Russia takes the stance that they do over some dumbass people who never should have adopted to begin with. They are just causing problems for their own children.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps you mistook me.

And yet, you're so quick to offer yours regarding other people's private affairs.

At least I'm offering an opinion actually pertaining to the subject, not just "shut up, doody head."
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Does this in any way affect my  ordering a Russian bride?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The process in Russia was time consuming. The first adoption took about a year and a half. Our second adoption took about the same amount of time two years later. That was in the 2003 2007 time frame. We had no problems in court or handleing the process. They were expensive though. I will be doing one more adoption as money allows through eastern europe sometime next year. Shame Russia takes the stance that they do over some dumbass people who never should have adopted to begin with. They are just causing problems for their own children.

If that was the real reason for this, then they're indicting themselves far worse than they are prospective American adoption parents.

It's basically a tacit admission that their screening process sucks and they can't weed out the handful of bad apples from the overwhelming majority of decent people.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#50]
You should research open vs closed adoptions.  There is a reason that people adopt internationally.  It has something to do with deadbeat parents trying to track down their kids later on.  Its harder to do with an ocean between the two of you.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top