Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 8:02:50 AM EDT
Finally bought a new house where I have room to put up a US flag, but just have a couple questions.  The most common size of flag I have seen is 3'x5', but that seems a little big to me for a house - is it?  If so, what size is typically used?  

Second question is about lighting - I have heard that you are supposed to illuminate the flag at night, but most flags I see at night are not.  Does it matter?  If you do need to illuminate the flag, how do you typically do it?  Wire in a exterior light specifically for this?  Use a plug in light and just run an extension cord outside?  Whats the deal?

Thanks for the info...
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:42:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're going to leave your flag up 7x24 you should light it. Home Depot and the like sell vertical spotlights that mount flush in the groud and point upwards.

Get yourself a nice embroidered star flag. I get mine from Uncle Sam's sources. My favorite is one off the USS Midway - the flag I re-enlisted for the first time under. That flag has flown over every command I've been assigned to since. There are plenty of sites like Pearl Harbor, the USS Consistution, and the Senate building you can get a "real" flag from. Plan on replacing that thing at regular intervals when it gets weather beaten.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You fly it upside down during times of distress.......

[url]http://www.nctimes.net/news/2001/20010928/61620.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top