Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:26:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/15/2004 8:26:40 AM EDT by Torf]
This time of year my family and I like to sit out on the screened in porch for dinner, but in the evenings it is rather chilly. We have a heat lamp that runs on those small disposable propane bottles, but they are rather expensive compared to the free propane we get at work. We own a warehousing business and use propane trucks to move product.

What I am looking for is an adapter and a hose that will fit the input on the heatlamp, and attach to a propane cylinder under the table.

Practical problems with the disposable cylinders:

1. They don't last very long. Maybe 1.5 hours on High setting?
2. They tend to freeze up due to their small volume and rapid depletion.
3. Freeze up reduces the flow of gas to the lamp. Heating with warm water or your hands will help restore gas flow, but who wants to babysit the thing? When the bottle freezes the heater is barely able to produce much heat.
4. Bulk gas is cheaper, and lasts a long time between needing attention.
5. Larger gas cylinders don't freeze up much even when attached to a large grill.

It is for these reasons that I was inquiring about an adapter. Does anyone know of any, if they exist? Would it be possible to make one for a few bucks?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:30:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:32:02 AM EDT
Check the camping section at Wally World or a sporting goods store. They run about 8-10 bucks and one of my friends uses his all the time. Even though the warning says you shouldn't refill the small green ones, he uses them for many refills.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:32:02 AM EDT
Such hookups are sold at many sporting good stores. Also check Cheaper-Than-Dirt.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:32:58 AM EDT
I got one at lowes for my mini weber grill, small bottle to regular bottle adaptor. it was around 15 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:43:06 AM EDT
Cool! Thanks! I wonder why I never noticed them before?!?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:45:42 AM EDT
Got a three foot hose w/adaptors @ WallyWorld - $7.00

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:09:52 AM EDT
I got one from Harbor Freight online. Cost $15 plus $10 shipping and handling. I couldn't find one locally. It's the one that allows you to fill the small cylinders from the twenty pound cylinders. Works well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:14:06 AM EDT
It is a stock item at Cabela's.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:19:59 AM EDT
academy has them as well

to fill a disposable propane cylinder from a regular propane cylinder is as follows:

its all about pressure differential, absolutely drain the disposable of all pressure
attatch hose between the two
turn regular cylinder upside down (you want liquid, not vapor)
open valve

i know i use the shit out of mine at gunstock
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:33:15 AM EDT
I found one a few years back for my table top tailgate grill at WalMart so check there first. Around here we have Propane City (or something along those lines) and they have everything for grills, heaters, etc... Hope you find one, they're definitely handy!!
Top Top