Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 12:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2003 12:56:17 PM EDT by Tras]
I don't have a DVD ROM on my computer.  My wife's does.  I have a couple music DVDs that I'd like to be able to copy onto mine.  I'd prefer to maintain the best picture/audio quality possible.  What's the easiest or best piece of software to handle this lil' job?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2003 1:07:04 PM EDT by cluster]
[url]dvdrhelp.com[/url]

they will have the free programs u need if yor too cheap tp buy one [:D] ..

[url]http://www.dvdrhelp.com/convert[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:24:51 PM EDT
The best free program IMO is DVDshrink. It is very fast and yields good quality.

I usually use Instant copy, it give the best quality for making back up copies of DVDs. It is much slower than DVDshrink and cost me $20. I'm a quality freak [:)].

You can find all the info you need on the great site post above.

and [url]www.doom9.org[/url]

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:42:17 PM EDT
Not cheap but 321Studios makes some of the best video DVD backup programs out there.
[url]http://www.dvdxcopy.com/default.asp?a=&PROMO=321StudiosWS[/url]

I'm not sure what type of DVDs you're wanting to copy(excuse me, back-up)...
But you will need a DVD RW drive in your computer, not just a DVD ROM.

DVD burners are manufactured to use either -R/-RW or +R/+RW, I use the +R/+RW media, just make sure you buy the proper medio for the type of burner you have.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:42:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2003 1:44:18 PM EDT by brouhaha]
I've been using DVDShrink quite a bit lately.

I like it.

Other than that, I create my own DVD's by ripping ones I like and removing all the fluff that I don't want.  For that, I use DVDDecrypter, VOBrator and IFOedit.

You can also use NERO 6 to copy music DVD's, I believe.  I use it to make the DVD's that DVDShrink rips for me.

The thing about DVDXCopy is that it puts a retarded warning message up before the FBI warning and it forces you to split DVD's onto 2 disks.  DVDShrink avoids both of those problems.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:43:33 PM EDT
DVD Decryptor is what you want. It will transfer all the files from the dvd to harddrive then you can copy them over to your machine and use a dvd player software to watch them. Remeber they can be as big as 9GB each. The movie and audio may be only 4-6GB and the rest are extra features. It will also let you pick just the basic movie as well.
It should be in one of the links above start at doom9.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:28:47 PM EDT
DVD Xcopy does not force you to split DVD's into two DVD's.

I use Xcopy, it's a lot easier than using any of that free shit - toss the DVD in, hit "copy", when it's done then hit "burn".

If the stupid little Xcopy warning is such a bother then copy it to your hard drive and edit it out before you burn your DVD.

I can also edit DVD's in Xcopy, take out the stupid "extra" stuff that I don't want.

Originally Posted By brouhaha:
I've been using DVDShrink quite a bit lately.

I like it.

Other than that, I create my own DVD's by ripping ones I like and removing all the fluff that I don't want.  For that, I use DVDDecrypter, VOBrator and IFOedit.

You can also use NERO 6 to copy music DVD's, I believe.  I use it to make the DVD's that DVDShrink rips for me.

The thing about DVDXCopy is that it puts a retarded warning message up before the FBI warning and it forces you to split DVD's onto 2 disks.  DVDShrink avoids both of those problems.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:56:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KA3B:
View Quote

Uhh...it does if the disk is dual layered.

DVDShrink gets around that by compressing the video even farther.

You don't have to talk to me like I'm a child.  Do you have stock in 321Studios or something?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:40:31 PM EDT
Name me a dual layered DVD that requires me to use two discs with Xcopy.

T2 is about the only one I can think of and it fit on one DVD just fine using Xcopy.

Me talk to you like a child? You are the one who called xcopy "retarded".
You also implied that ALL dvd's copied with xcopy would split the movie up into two DVD's.

Only AFTER I called you out did you say anything about about dual layered DVD's.

Just to give you the benifit of the doubt I tried to copy Ice Age with DVD Shrink. This is what I got:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue this operation.
Failed to decrypt data: drive region incompatible?
the reason is: unknown

BAAHAHAHAHAAA!!

Go to the forums and what do they say?

Use DVD Decrypter to "rip" the DVD to your hard drive in "File" mode - and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "All files" (NOT "movie files").
Then use DVD Shrink to "Open files" (NOT "Open Disk") - and select "VIDEO_TS.IFO"
OR
Start PLAYING the DVD, then PAUSE it. Then try DVD Shrink...

So now I have to download ANOTHER program to rip a DVD since the free piece of shit one dosen't work.

Meanwhile, xcopy says:
SIMPLE or ADVANCED
SIMPLE gets me a complete copy of JUST the movie.
ADVANCED lets me cut and trim the crap off the DVD I don't want, plus it automaticly reduces the DVD, in this case an overall compression of 63%.

Meanwhile, back at the DVD Shrink ranch...

View Quote

Uhh...it does if the disk is dual layered.

DVDShrink gets around that by compressing the video even farther.

You don't have to talk to me like I'm a child.  Do you have stock in 321Studios or something?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:01:34 PM EDT
View Quote

Hmm...ok.  In the past week alone:

Both of the LOTR disks.  Season 4 of The Sopranos.  Basic.  T3.  The Recruit.  I'll go through my archive if you like of the disks I've done in the past 3 months, but that'll take some time.  To keep it short, the only disks that didn't give me problems were cartoons (which probably take up all your free time...thus the reason you've not had any problems) or classics such as "White Christmas".

That's only the ones I've done since last Wednesday.

As to your problem with DVDShrink...well, I can't help it you don't know how to work a computer.  I'm surprised you figured out how to log on to this site.

Since you apparantly have trouble with directions, I'll help.  It's simple.  "Open disk".  Let it analyse for about 2 minutes.  Choose the files you want deleted.  Insert blank DVD.  Then hit "backup".  Then just wait.

I've since moved on to better (and not costing $100) programs.

Again...have stock in 321Studios?  Or are you attempting to make yourself feel better about being ripped off by a shoddy program?

Don't bother responding, as I find myself wasting time on you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:11:26 PM EDT
Boohoohaahaa,
Face it, you know I am right.

View Quote

Hmm...ok.  In the past week alone:

Both of the LOTR disks.  Season 4 of The Sopranos.  Basic.  T3.  The Recruit.  I'll go through my archive if you like of the disks I've done in the past 3 months, but that'll take some time.  To keep it short, the only disks that didn't give me problems were cartoons (which probably take up all your free time...thus the reason you've not had any problems) or classics such as "White Christmas".

That's only the ones I've done since last Wednesday.

As to your problem with DVDShrink...well, I can't help it you don't know how to work a computer.  I'm surprised you figured out how to log on to this site.

Since you apparantly have trouble with directions, I'll help.  It's simple.  "Open disk".  Let it analyse for about 2 minutes.  Choose the files you want deleted.  Insert blank DVD.  Then hit "backup".  Then just wait.

I've since moved on to better (and not costing $100) programs.

Again...have stock in 321Studios?  Or are you attempting to make yourself feel better about being ripped off by a shoddy program?

Don't bother responding, as I find myself wasting time on you.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:56:03 PM EDT

Just to give you the benifit of the doubt I tried to copy Ice Age with DVD Shrink. This is what I got:

View Quote
Just out of curiosity, did you uninstall Xcopy before trying DVDshrink? If not, you could have had a software conflict that was causing the error.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:08:21 PM EDT
Yes, I did uninstall xcopy before I tried (again) dvdshrink.

brouhaha was actually really nice to me and was very helpful when I was first looking into DVD ripping / copying programs.

I have no problems with people who think their way is the only way, what I have a problem with is people who refuse to believe the truth.

DVD Shrink is a good program for those who want to mess around with making a couple of programs work.

Xcopy is a good copy and burn program.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:41:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:58:39 PM EDT
I just use dvd decryptor "select main movie files" and then rip to ISO then burn.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:14:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:
tag
View Quote
me, too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:11:44 AM EDT
you're it...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:15:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2003 3:16:32 AM EDT by skipperJ]
DVDXcopyExpress copies full length movies on one disk. It will copy all content/extras or can strip out all but the actual motion picture with less compression.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:39:40 AM EDT
I'm marking this one for after work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:55:42 AM EDT
FWIW, I used DVD Xcopy to make backups of LOTR. It defaulted to compression to make the film fit onto the same number of discs as the original, but gave me the option to copy it uncompressed at a 2 disc to 1 ratio.
Top Top