Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 7:46:22 PM EDT
Well, damnit, I missed 8000 by a couple.. so hooray me for 8k posts!

Anyway, my project car, a 1969 Porsche 911T Targa is having ignition issues, so I was looking around on Egay for an MSD 6AL unit, as that's a pretty standard unit that Porsche enthusiasts use.  Well, mixed in there with the MSDs was a Procomp PC6AL unit.  Claims to be pretty much a copy of the MSD 6AL.  Same wiring, same soft rev limiter built in.  And it was less expensive.

I ordered one, and should have it probably tomorrow, and hope to install on Saturday.  I also ordered an MSD Blaster 2 coil.  I'll be running on the stock points setup in the Bosch distributor, with OEM style Beru wires and stock rated Bosch plugs.   I will soon be switching to an optical points replacement system, need a new cap and rotor, and will upgrade to some better wires.

Any opinions on this brand?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#1]
bump for days
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#2]
procomp stuff usually kicks ass, I'm going to go look for this now for my 'yota pickup.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, damnit, I missed 8000 by a couple.. so hooray me for 8k posts!

Anyway, my project car, a 1969 Porsche 911T Targa is having ignition issues, so I was looking around on Egay for an MSD 6AL unit, as that's a pretty standard unit that Porsche enthusiasts use.  Well, mixed in there with the MSDs was a Procomp PC6AL unit.  Claims to be pretty much a copy of the MSD 6AL.  Same wiring, same soft rev limiter built in.  And it was less expensive.

I ordered one, and should have it probably tomorrow, and hope to install on Saturday.  I also ordered an MSD Blaster 2 coil.  I'll be running on the stock points setup in the Bosch distributor, with OEM style Beru wires and stock rated Bosch plugs.   I will soon be switching to an optical points replacement system, need a new cap and rotor, and will upgrade to some better wires.

Any opinions on this brand?  

I had a MSD unit on my '66 and went back to old-school points.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, Gator, I've heard the MSD units are a great improvement in Porsches over both the old inductive systems and CDI ignitions.   Hopefully this unit will work out well... I think anything is better than the stock ignition in my car!  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, Gator, I've heard the MSD units are a great improvement in Porsches over both the old inductive systems and CDI ignitions.   Hopefully this unit will work out well... I think anything is better than the stock ignition in my car!  

All reports indicate that they are.

I think I got a lemon. I still have it around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I got the ProComp ignition installed last week.  After a few SNAFUs, and then killing the battery, then finding out I was flooding #4 (float valve in the right carb is sticking, I think)... finally got her started!  Took her out for a nice 10 mile shakedown, then had to go out of town.  Got back Monday, and took her out for about 60 miles.  The engine runs great.  Idles smoothly, though slightly fast.  I haven't gotten the tach working yet, but I'd guess she's idling near 1000rpm.  Sounds pretty good, but the timing likely is not correct.  Need to get a new cap and rotor, and replace the points or install an optical system, and get the timing set correctly.  Then we'll see how she does!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top