Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 11:14:02 PM EDT
Just recently I've started experiencing an issue with my 11.5 Bushy, it started blowing gas in my face with each shot...enough to make shooting an unpleasant experience. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You feeding it Mexican ammo? Seems to cause a lot of problems with gas.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you running a can?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

http://instantrimshot.com/

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
No can.... 11.5 heavy barrel Bushy.  I've never had this problem in the 13 years I've had this rifle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Once again, another outstanding Avatar.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Nolwenn is my girl of the moment.  

No idea what's wrong with that rifle though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Gas in the face usually means lots of back pressure (a can) or a poor chamber seal like excessive head space, or oversized chamber. running wolf (or other steel cased ammo) can mimic the oversized chamber symptoms because the case is not as elastic as brass and you get a poor seal.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gas in the face usually means lots of back pressure (a can) or a poor chamber seal like excessive head space, or oversized chamber. running wolf (or other steel cased ammo) can mimic the oversized chamber symptoms because the case is not as elastic as brass and you get a poor seal.

What about worn out gas rings or maybe an old gas tube?  I kinda suspect that if either of those two wore out gas might start escaping to weird places.  Since it's an 11.5", and I understand those to be somewhat over gassed, I guess it could keep running even though it was blasting a bunch in his face?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you made sure it's plugged in, and have you tried rebooting it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about worn out gas rings or maybe an old gas tube?  I kinda suspect that if either of those two wore out gas might start escaping to weird places.  Since it's an 11.5", and I understand those to be somewhat over gassed, I guess it could keep running even though it was blasting a bunch in his face?

I don't really know, the worn rings sure sound like they could cause such problems, the only way I see the gas tube causing a problem is if the tube has a hole or is even broken off in front of the gas key but if the gun is running good I doubt that is the problem.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't really know, the worn rings sure sound like they could cause such problems, the only way I see the gas tube causing a problem is if the tube has a hole or is even broken off in front of the gas key but if the gun is running good I doubt that is the problem.

I think the gas tube has a little bulge on the exterior diameter near the end that fits into the gas key.  Over time, this wears down...
What I figure is that, if it's the gas tube, the bulge has worn down and now some of the gas blasts out around the key when it cycles.  My guess was that if this were the case, the overgassing of the short system would still cycle it.

You've got a good point about the chamber seal though.  I didn't think about it earlier, but when I shoot kinda wimpy steel cased ammo through my Mauser, like the Romanian surplus stuff, lots of propellant gases and crap get blasted back into the action.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Take it apart and perform an autopsy.  That's really the only way to determine what's wrong.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#16]
what about gas port erosion causing excess gases to escape barrel? I could see the gas rings being worn but not directly causing gas to escape to the rear and not out the ejection port. Check all these areas (gas port you cant really check w/o bore scope) and I think it should narrow itself down. Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top