Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2010 7:57:12 PM EDT
This was a gun a friend of mine owned several years ago. It was supposedly given by a high ranking minister in the third Reich to another Nazi. Turned out that it was bogus, but the workmanship cannot be denied and it is still a work of art. Gun is covered in 24k gold, but is not plated.

Enjoy.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That is beautiful
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#3]
WOW!that's justWOW!,,,
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh... my...

I've always contended that the two most beautiful guns ever made were the Luger and the Colt SAA... and I'm pretty sure the former is the more attractive of the two.

My granddad has a 1941 Mauser (byf) manufactured Luger with Third Reich stamps. It has the black, bakelite grips so it's one of the "Black Widows." Matching numbers on all parts except the mags.

Do want.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]
what does that engraved plate on the grip say?
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Very, Very nice!!!!

Any idea what it's worth?
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
3rd pic from the bottom. Look at the directional marks in the wood from when it was chiseled. You hardly ever see such detailed, closeup pics like that. The minute "imperfections" are what sells me on stuff like this. You can see the remnants of the master's hand. Truly a work of art.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Morning bump
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh snap, that shizzle haz some bling.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Great pictures of a beautiful gun.  The imperfections in the engraving and carving can be seen in these photos.  When viewed as a whole, they can disappear in the mass of engraving and ornamentation.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It is very diffiicult to read. Basically it says that it is given to Franz Von Papen, deputy foreign minister of the third reich. By Joachim von Ribbentrop.

Quoted:

Very, Very nice!!!!

It has been sold a few times, always in the $25-45,000 range.

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Old school pimptastic.

Range report?

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#14]
How does it shoot?

Does it feed +P+ hollow points or do you stick to 147gr NATO sub gun FMJ?

You need some more clips for it

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 5:04:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Well SOMEONE spent a whooooole lotta time tapping a engraver.. nice piece in a display sort of way.  Interesting history I am sure regardless of the original story.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 5:06:08 AM EDT
[#16]
that is really cool. I always like seeing a apiece of history like that. I like it, unlike the blinged out crap you see from the cartels.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 5:16:21 AM EDT
[#17]
He get it at Simpson LTD in Galesburg? The have some beautiful guns go through their little shop in nasty Galesburg.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

He get it at Simpson LTD in Galesburg? The have some beautiful guns go through their little shop in nasty Galesburg.

Simpson was the one to sell it for the family that allegedly brought it home as a war trophy. He "authenticated" it as well. Yes, he has some nice stuff, I remember going in the back when he had a Pantera and a pair if MG74 post samples on an AA mount.

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 5:23:14 AM EDT
[#19]
So they have pimps in Germany too!
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 5:27:31 AM EDT
[#20]
No napkin, no drink, no measuring device, no food.  This has got to be the worst dinner pic ever!!! 0/0

Cool gun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 5:30:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Beautiful engraving.
Has some problems though.

The first 2 digits of the serial number look like a possible force match in this pic.

The one and the eight are struck way too deep compared to the others.

There are no numbers at all on the side plate, leading to questions about it being a match.

Also were the mags still wood bottomed that late?
I thought they were aluminum bottomed by then.

It has some issues to have gone that high, but it sure is pretty.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/lugerman_album/von%20papen/plate2.jpg
Quoted:
It is very diffiicult to read. Basically it says that it is given to Franz Von Papen, deputy foreign minister of the third reich. By Joachim von Ribbentrop.

Quoted:
Very, Very nice!!!!

It has been sold a few times, always in the $25-45,000 range.

It's fake but it sold for $45,000?
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 5:33:37 AM EDT
[#23]

I want it
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Not a big fan of gold on guns..........but still, thats a whole lot of pretty right there .

Great pics BTW .
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Beautiful engraving.

The first 2 digits of the serial number look like a possible force match in this pic.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/lugerman_album/von%20papen/serial.jpg

There are no numbers at all on the side plate, leading to questions about it being a match.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/lugerman_album/von%20papen/takedown.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/lugerman_album/von%20papen/magbottom.jpg

Interesting. Tag for P08's response.

Link Posted: 2/24/2010 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Beautiful engraving.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/lugerman_album/von%20papen/serial.jpg

Yes, they do, however it would be a restamp of the complete serial number if they did. If the whole number were scrubbed the contour of the front of the frame would be different.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/lugerman_album/von%20papen/takedown.jpg

It's been a long time, but I recall that the serial on the side plate was in a commercial style location. I no longer have access to the gun to look at it again either.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w260/lugerman_album/von%20papen/magbottom.jpg

A 1939 Banner police should have aluminum bottomed mags, you are correct. However with presentation guns they pretty much did what they wanted to. Hell, it should have had the complete serial number and letter suffix plus a 1 and 2 on each mag.

Remember that this gun is considered by many in the collecting community to be bogus at this time. The story is the most suspect. But the quality of the work is undeniable. Aanyone who would pay $25k for a gun has a problem anyway.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top