Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2006 10:01:07 AM EDT
Much as I dread to invoke the "N" word I actually have studied this system and started long before Sho Kosugi started making ridiculous movies. I'm not a Grand Poobah anything but I actually know something about it. I'm not here to relate anything dramatic but simply basic information which may prove useful to the membership.

Contrary to popular myth we never spent time learning how to do backflips, dodge bullets or shoot fire out of our hands. We learned things like basic psychology and working with the existing environment.

Now in the movies and popular legend there is only one way for a ninja to become invisible. You throw down a pyrotechnic smoke device which detonates upon contact with the ground and then run away or hide leaving the illusion that you "disappeared."

And sure there is something to this method although the smoke grenades in the movies are a bit of a strech compared to what traditional genin would have carried and even a modern operator doesn't have access to equipment that performs exactly like that. A military smoke grenade is about as sophisitcated as the technology gets. It just looks cooler when one doesn't have to pull a pin first.

But let's talk about actually being invisible rather than just pulling a hide and seek.

Invisibility is simply not being seen when you are still there.

Everyday hundreds of people are invisible to us. We don't notice them, we don't remember seeing them and we couldn't describe them if we had to. That is invisibility.

Now when most "ninja" today want to be invisible the first thing they do is throw on a Shinbi Shozuku (black ninja outfit) and start doing ninja rolls from bush to bush.

The problem with that is generally when most people observe a guy in an all black ninja suit sneaking around in the bushes they tend to notice and definitely remember. In these cases invisibility is hardly achieved.

When I used to train students years ago in Iowa part of their instruction was a practical exercise 4 times a year (one for each season). As a prelude to the exercise the planners would be instructed to do a basic recon and map the area in detail that they would be working in. They were advised to do this discretely so they didn't raise any kind of suspicion prior to working in the area. This was actually part of the exercise.

And the new guys just couldn't wait to throw on the black ninja suit and go do some covert reconnaissance eager to return with detailed maps of the area and reports of activity. If they had paid any attention to their instruction they prepared by noting the phase of the moon to detemine how light or dark it would be and they actually knew dark grays blended in a lot better than dark black which tends to create sharper silhouettes where the moon or nearby lights illuminate the area.

But the guys who really learned something wouldn't even dream of the black traditional outfit. They preferred to be invisible.

One great example was the guy who simply put on jeans, boots, flannel shirt, tool belt and hard hat. He then climbed a telephone pole in an area with little activity and belted himself in. He remained on that telephone pole for a half hour with a clipboard drawing several detailed maps. He was in full view of everyone but nobody saw him. He looked as if he belonged there. He was invisible.

He remembered what he was taught. He remembered the day he was sent to sit in the mall on a bench for 2 hours to observe which people who walked by stood out and which people didn't and to note why. He remembered that a genin wants to use the most effective method and not the one he likes best or is traditional.

He looked at his environment and task and figured out what "most belonged" and would be normal for that environment. He knew daylight was the best time for a detailed analysis and that running around in a black suit would stand out like a John Kerry button at a NRA convention. Sadly a couple guys would actually hide in the bushes wearing their "ninja outfits" during the day to do their recon, only random luck and limited traffic in the area kept them from being noticed.

This concept is of course nothing new. The traditional agent frequently assumed identities such as priests, actors, laborers or merchants to effectively work unobserved in their environment. His modern counterpart simply assumes different roles such as security guard, mailman, construction worker, businessman, etc. to blend in and work in his given area of operation.

Just remember that if you are gonna dress up as a mailman or delivery person to work close to your target you will need to actually pass. A uniform alone won't do it. You're gonna need a mailbag full of bogus mail or a delivery clip board and be able to pass a basic inquiry. And try not to get seen by the real mailman because you won't be invisible to him.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Very interesting post.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#2]
So I should stop carrying my wakizashi around...?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Ninja stuff - smoke pyrotechnics, black suits, and,   ....uh, some other stuff I can't remember. Got it!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Ninjitsu sounds better than ninjutsu.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Man such a disappointment. "Field craft 101"

Here I thought you were going to talk about channeling your Chi to become dim

edit 'cause I didnt run my spellchecker 1st
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ninjitsu sounds better than ninjutsu.  

Jutsu is the currently accepted Romanization.

Jitsu went out with Tokio.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Man such a disappointment. "Field craft 101"

Here I thought you were going to talk about channeling your Chi to become dim

edit 'cause I didnt run my spellchecker 1st

That would be "advanced" study. That stuff is up their with clouding the mind of the observer. And we don't discuss such things with those outside the Kai.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish I still had this old book on Ninja "technique" from the 80s.

I used to LOVE reading this book when I was like 12-16 or so. I thought ninjas were the heat. It had a TON of bad ideas in it, but one that actually (kind of) works is, when walking up stairs, avoid walking directly in the middle of the step. Keep your feet to the outside, it's where the nails that hold the tread are and odds are, it will creak less.

The other 99 or whatever pages were pretty much useless except as toilet paper!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How not to be seen

The original is so much better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I used to LOVE reading this book when I was like 12-16 or so. I thought ninjas were the heat. It had a TON of bad ideas in it, but one that actually (kind of) works is, when walking up stairs, avoid walking directly in the middle of the step. Keep your feet to the outside, it's where the nails that hold the tread are and odds are, it will creak less.

I'm guessing it was written by Ashida Kim.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLY CRAP that was him! How did you know? Did you use your Ninja skills on me???

click

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How not to be seen

The original is so much better.

Ok, Here
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
dammit.

and i just got my XXXXL ninja suit from botach last week.

WTF am i supposed to do now?

You could always join these guys... click (from another thread)
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought you were invisible because you chopped off the heads of anyone that looked at you?

TRG
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Around here, just leave your teeth unbrushed, put on a dirty flannel and t-shirt, some torn jeans and worn-out boots, a dirty hat, throw some change in a cup, and sit down somewhere. Works best if you have a beard and longish hair, though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I pull off the invisiblity thing very well... especially with women.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Keep your feet to the outside, it's where the nails that hold the tread are and odds are, it will creak less.

I read the same book and to this day the only thing I can remember is the stair advice.

I actually got pretty good with the shurikens? Did I spell that right? The throwing stars. The one that was basically a 2" square shape was my favorite. I had all kinds though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#20]
StyerAug,

How do I know that you are really not the mighty Ashida Kim trying to be "invisible" on Arfcom?

You seem to know  a lot about the black arts of the Ninja, now it's time you tell us about the awesome power of Kuji Kiri!

I think now I know who trained the original mall ninja...

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLY CRAP that was him! How did you know? Did you use your Ninja skills on me???

click

www.dojopress.com/pics/cvr-SoN.jpg

The Junin knows all.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Around here, just leave your teeth unbrushed, put on a dirty flannel and t-shirt, some torn jeans and worn-out boots, a dirty hat, throw some change in a cup, and sit down somewhere. Works best if you have a beard and longish hair, though.

Funny you should mention the beggar identity.

A wonderful excuse for sitting on your ass all day to observe your target environment. And you could make $10.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I had this  one. My first dojo sold the full line of ninjitsu wares back in the day.

BOT, learning to be the gray man is critical.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
StyerAug,

How do I know that you are really not the mighty Ashida Kim trying to be "invisible" on Arfcom?

You seem to know  a lot about the black arts of the Ninja, now it's time you tell us about the awesome power of Kuji Kiri!

The Kuji In shall not be discussed. The secrets of the Mikkyo are mine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had this  one. My first dojo sold the full line of ninjitsu wares back in the day.

BOT, learning to be the gray man is critical.

Actually Andrew Adams wrote a pretty good book. Nice intro to the system and history. I think that book is what got Hayes to go to Japan.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Actually Andrew Adams wrote a pretty good book. Nice intro to the system and history. I think that book is what got Hayes to go to Japan.

I agree. I read it cover to cover many times until it was lost in one of the great moves of the mid '90s.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
This concept is of course nothing new. The traditional agent frequently assumed identities such as priests, actors, laborers or merchants to effectively work unobserved in their environment. His modern counterpart simply assumes different roles such as security guard, mailman, construction worker, businessman, etc. to blend in and work in his given area of operation.

Really
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#28]
This reminds me of "Without Remorse."  He was invisible in the ghetto as a homeless person.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#29]
When my neighbors were being investigated years ago a very non descript white van pulled up and a man in a coveralls with a clipboard began walking door to door.  I thought it was the gas company or maybe the electric company.

Here, it was a three letter agency with pictures and questions about my neighbors.  Had ther man not come to my door I would have assumed it was just some utility guy.  

Had he pulled up in a van that said Flowers By Irene I might have been a lot more suspiscious.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Now:how does wearing camo BDUs with a chest rig, ALICE pack, and carrying a rifle fit into this observation?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
StyerAug,

The Kuji In shall not be discussed. The secrets of the Mikkyo are mine.

I knew it, you are POWERFUL...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#32]
So with Stephen Hayes... Is he still married to Hatsumi's daughter? Was there some sort of controversy with "shadows of Iga"?  It's been years since I was into this stuff.
Midwinter

Oh, ARFCOM needs: Ninja, Pirate, and Zombie smilies.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Some of the best bodyguards & assassins, back in the day, were disguised as gardeners.

Also, being a musician, you could setup on a corner & watch all day long too. Just try not to attract too MUCH attention. Or you could always try the "wandering Monk". White button down, tie, backpack, bible, & you're set to walk around almost any area unbothered.

=)
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I think I had that book!

To this day, when I go up/down the stairs at night in my house I don't step in the middle.  But, it doesn't always work 100%.  I've found that going up stairs on all fours reduces the amount of weight on each step and they creak even less .
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#35]
You can go anywhere with a dog leash.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny you should mention the beggar identity.

A wonderful excuse for sitting on your ass all day to observe your target environment. And you could make $10.

Or, if you choose the right location $300 (even more).

Dave.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Good tips.     BUT what I want to know.........

What inspired your posting.    

Were you watching KUNG FU?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Sometime back 60 Minutes did a report on not being able to observe things in plain sight.  The one I remember best was where you were asked to watch and count the number of times the players in white passed a basketball.  They showed the clip twice.  After the second time they asked about the guy in the gorrilla suit.  I did not see such a guy. Then they showed the clip a third time.  There indeed was a guy in a gorrilla suit that walked through the players.

That was trippy.

Dave.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
So with Stephen Hayes... Is he still married to Hatsumi's daughter? Was there some sort of controversy with "shadows of Iga"?  It's been years since I was into this stuff.
Midwinter

Oh, ARFCOM needs: Ninja, Pirate, and Zombie smilies.

Rumiko was not Hatsumi's daughter. Perhaps you are thinking of Seagal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. I read it cover to cover many times until it was lost in one of the great moves of the mid '90s.

It's one of the few that I managed to hang on to.

"Zen And The Martial Arts" is the one that never seems to find it's way home. I'm probably on my 12th copy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

shit, i taught myself that trying to sneak back in the 'rents house drunk!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

shit, i taught myself that trying to sneak back in the 'rents house drunk!

+1 that and remember to WD40 the door hinges  hinges on my old pos truck i had at the time

I finally found out years later when i blasted a stry cat thatwas fighting with our cat right in front of their bedroom window
that they will not wake up for shit
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I actually saw a show about the effectiveness of ninjas vs swat teams a while ago. The goal was to assassinate a target located in an undisclosed room who was protected by body guards. First they sent in a 5 man SWAT team who took out the guards and target swiftly, as one would expect.

Next they had a 1 man team who I'm guessing was schooled in ninjitsu. He blended in to find out exactly where the target was. It took him several hours to finally reach the target but it was very interesting. He posed as a set tech and pretended to work on the cameras inside the house that were used to film everything. At first the guards paid no attention to him but they wouldn't let him anywhere near the target. He eventually gained their trust in different ways to make them think he was actually a worker. And they let their guard down long enough for him to take out the target. I guess the guards expected some dude in a black ninja suit busting in through the ceiling or something. Very cool.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I actually saw a show about the effectiveness of ninjas vs swat teams a while ago. The goal was to assassinate a target located in an undisclosed room who was protected by body guards. First they sent in a 5 man SWAT team who took out the guards and target swiftly, as one would expect.

Next they had a 1 man team who I'm guessing was schooled in ninjitsu. He blended in to find out exactly where the target was. It took him several hours to finally reach the target but it was very interesting. He posed as a set tech and pretended to work on the cameras inside the house that were used to film everything. At first the guards paid no attention to him but they wouldn't let him anywhere near the target. He eventually gained their trust in different ways to make them think he was actually a worker. And they let their guard down long enough for him to take out the target. I guess the guards expected some dude in a black ninja suit busting in through the ceiling or something. Very cool.

how did he get out?

or di he off the target in a bathroom or something ?

It seems to me nomatter how benign appearing a guy would be they would never let a person that has just been around a few hours or even days to be alone wit the protectee
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Well that was one thing that bothered me. The whole point was to assassinate the target, never said anything about getting out. Once he was killed, it was over. The target actually was located in the bathroom with 2 guards stationed at the door. It was just impressive seeing him making it to that point and actually getting the kill. Had it been for real, the guards would have killed him immediately after.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I will take this knowledge with me when ninja are hired for a contract on me.

I will then kill every security guard, mailman, construction worker, and businessman within 20 yards.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dammit.

and i just got my XXXXL ninja suit from botach last week.

WTF am i supposed to do now?

You could always join these guys... click (from another thread)

Thread link?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#48]

One great example was the guy who simply put on jeans, boots, flannel shirt, tool belt and hard hat. He then climbed a telephone pole in an area with little activity and belted himself in. He remained on that telephone pole for a half hour with a clipboard drawing several detailed maps. He was in full view of everyone but nobody saw him. He looked as if he belonged there. He was invisible.

I'd be tempted to show up with an easel and some paints, and spend the afternoon painting scenery pictures....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Well that was one thing that bothered me. The whole point was to assassinate the target, never said anything about getting out. Once he was killed, it was over. The target actually was located in the bathroom with 2 guards stationed at the door. It was just impressive seeing him making it to that point and actually getting the kill. Had it been for real, the guards would have killed him immediately after.

That was actually Stephen Hayes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will take this knowledge with me when ninja are hired for a contract on me.

I will then kill every security guard, mailman, construction worker, and businessman within 20 yards.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top