Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2023 8:03:39 AM EDT
Do we have any forum folks going to attend the Powertrip in Indio, lineup is pretty damn hard

I've got accomodation sorted out also, just need to choose how to get there and back from LA
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Come for for the fun, stay to beat a commie!
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Which band is not so old and used up that they will be able to give a passable performance?

I like AC/DC's new album, but they can't perform live anymore.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#3]
California can and will eat a dick.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Came for the band Powertrip. Leaving disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which band is not so old and used up that they will be able to give a passable performance?

View Quote

Tool is the only REMOTELY relevant one of those bands. The rest are washed up boomer crap rock.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are getting up there, but this is a rare chance for me to see them all.

If I would start writing favourite bands down, most of those would be the in the first ones, AC/DC being probably #1

Damn team mate was talking about "seeing AC/DC three times and Maiden 9 times..." when we were talking about gigs at our little Christmas party, so good chance this came up now

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Geriactrip.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#8]
..So, not exactly a lot of interest here then
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Some kids sound really retarded constantly throwing out “boomer”. Maybe lookup what that means.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maiden still sounds good live and they've been going at it for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Axl will be there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Thought it would be these guys when I saw the thread title

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#14]
2 of those bands need to hang it up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Axl will be there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Axl will be there.

Axl is out.
Brian Johnson is back in. They put out an album a while back. The Youtube videos are good, but none of them are shot live. Brian can sing, but Angus has his hair glued into his cap, and he can't play a guitar like he used to. The songs are written so he just has to noodle a bit.

You can tell they barely have the energy to shoot individual videos, let alone perform live for any length of time.

AC/DC - Through The Mists Of Time (Official Video)
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some kids sound really retarded constantly throwing out “boomer”. Maybe lookup what that means.
View Quote

It’s not just a generational thing, it’s also a state of mind.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Want to go sooooo bad.  Maiden will ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thought it would be these guys when I saw the thread title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syQlbI9QLEM
View Quote

Same. Powertrip ? Power Trip
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Not going - but I have four clients on stage using my technology ("Schaffer Replica") TOOL, AC/DC, Metallica and Guns 'N Roses.

Hope it's going to be fun for all the involved 'uns
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Lol. Anyone under 60 there???

Pass on the boomer rock and soiled diapers
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#21]
That's a hell of a line up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Axl is out.
Brian Johnson is back in. They put out an album a while back. The Youtube videos are good, but none of them are shot live. Brian can sing, but Angus has his hair glued into his cap, and he can't play a guitar like he used to. The songs are written so he just has to noodle a bit.

You can tell they barely have the energy to shoot individual videos, let alone perform live for any length of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-bIFDMSFA
View Quote
As someone who has adored them and worshipped them for my entire life (since I was 10 in 1978) - then ended up working with them for a few years, this is all true.

I still love as if it was yesterday all of their original work and listen to it daily.

But AC/DC is no more.

For good reason: it's too hard to play it "right".

People have foolishly thought (for decades) it was easy to play AC/DC material not understanding that it's incredibly hard to play AC/DC like AC/DC.
You can slop all the way to the bank as everyone does, but only AC/DC can play AC/DC - and coming to that, only a younger AC/DC can.

I'm saying this with all my love, by the way.
I love the legacy.

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Tool is the only REMOTELY relevant one of those bands. The rest are washed up boomer crap rock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You obviously didn’t see Iron Maiden on the bill.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Axl is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-bIFDMSFA
View Quote

That video almost hit me as sad. I know the Young’s said they would play till it wasn’t possible anymore, even if it was bar gigs. I feel like it’s just Angus doing what he and his brother always agreed on. Can’t fault a guy for doing what he does even if he’s slowing down a lot. AC/DC was always a good fun show. I’m not sure if I’d want to go now or just remember how it was.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Want to go sooooo bad.  Maiden will ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

They will likely be the best in the show.

Saw them last year and Dickenson was still great.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That video almost hit me as sad. I know the Young's said they would play till it wasn't possible anymore, even if it was bar gigs. I feel like it's just Angus doing what he and his brother always agreed on. Can't fault a guy for doing what he does even if he's slowing down a lot. AC/DC was always a good fun show. I'm not sure if I'd want to go now or just remember how it was.
View Quote
No - not until it was possible, but until it was fun and enjoyable.
That's what Mal said (and Angus agreed).

Angus and Ella (wife) are now running the show - I hope Angus realizes what it's come down to and he probably did.
These may be the very last bits we see of them before they call it - I expect a small tour in 2024 and then the announcement that AC/DC retires.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#28]
@Solo_
Are you the guy that set up Mal's guitars and equipment and listed everything he was using? I  was just thinking about it the other day that someone posted it in an old thread.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@Solo_
Are you the guy that set up Mal's guitars and equipment and listed everything he was using? I  was just thinking about it the other day that someone posted it in an old thread.
View Quote
Nope - I worked with Angus (and then, with Angus' techs Taku Suetsugu, Rick St. Pierre and lastly the current one, Trace Foster) with my technology "The Schaffer Replica" - which I brought back from obscurity (a vintage wireless device used by many that had a great sound of its own).

Do we have someone here that worked with Mal? I know most of the guys (by name), it would be cool
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#30]
That's a heck of a lineup. I can't wait to see Maiden again. Their last tour set was amazing. While I do think they can keep going, I am concerned about Nico after his stroke. He was clearly having some problems during this last tour.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#31]
That would have been super awesome if it were 1991.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Monsters of Metamucil
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X Not Boomers
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X Not Boomer rock.

Steppenwolf would be Boomer rock.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nope - I worked with Angus (and then, with Angus' techs Taku Suetsugu, Rick St. Pierre and lastly the current one, Trace Foster) with my technology "The Schaffer Replica" - which I brought back from obscurity (a vintage wireless device used by many that had a great sound of its own).

Do we have someone here that worked with Mal? I know most of the guys (by name), it would be cool
View Quote

Yes, there is poster here that worked with Mal and he was very detailed with the equipment and settings used. Someone here must know.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, there is poster here that worked with Mal and he was very detailed with the equipment and settings used. Someone here must know.
View Quote
Damn.

I know most of the stuff myself - I am known internationally for my work with AC/DC, my research etc. - but it's be amazing if the two of us could be put in touch!

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not going - but I have four clients on stage using my technology ("Schaffer Replica") TOOL, AC/DC, Metallica and Guns 'N Roses.

Hope it's going to be fun for all the involved 'uns
View Quote

Huh, neat.  I was vaguely familiar with your product and the concept behind it.  Didn't know you were here.  Howdy.

Also didn't know AC/DC was continuing after Malcolm.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Did they burn up all their money or they like the fame?

Give it a fucking rest and retire
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Not going to that one. We just had this one. It was awesome.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
..So, not exactly a lot of interest here then
View Quote
I'd love to go if I wasn't on the other side of the country.
I like all those bands, particularly Maiden and Priest. Guess I'm a "boomer".
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Wow, there's gonna be a lot of 50-something yr old dudes rocking out.  AARP beer discount?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68845/LTL23_Social_1200x1500-scaled_jpg-2965742.JPG
View Quote
Damn, that's a lot of acts!
Did you go all 4 days?
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Did you go all 4 days?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68845/LTL23_Social_1200x1500-scaled_jpg-2965742.JPG
Did you go all 4 days?

No, went Thursday/Friday.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Huh, neat.  I was vaguely familiar with your product and the concept behind it.  Didn't know you were here.  Howdy.

Also didn't know AC/DC was continuing after Malcolm.
View Quote
Isn't ARFcom amazing? (I mean it) - good to see you.

In many ways, AC/DC didn't continue after Malcolm.
I spoke to Angus (and Ella!) about many things when Mal was at the hospital back in 2014.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#45]
That sounds like a good lineup. I've seen three of the bands live.

I saw AC/DC and Metallica as part of the 1991 Monsters of Rock European tour on 9/7/91, along with Motley Crue, Queensryche, and The Black Crowes. It was three weeks to the day before the big show in Moscow.

I saw G'nR in Nashville a month ago, with Heavy Metal Carrie Underwood opening for them. I was pleasantly surprised at how well Axl did. I didn't have high hopes given the videos I'd seen recently, but he did a great job. It was the first chance I'd actually been able to see them, even though I've been a fan since the 80's. I missed out on seeing them in Mannheim, Germany in 91 because tickets sold out so quickly and then my buddy and I got stuck on motor pool guard the night of the concert (we'd planned to catch a train and get tickets from a scalper).

Have fun and enjoy the show, OP.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maiden still sounds good live and they've been going at it for a long time.
View Quote

Yep, that's the reputation and I'd bet Metallica and Priest are still damn good in concert.

GnR really wasn't that bad, back in 1990, with Metallica, once Axl got his mandatory fit out of the way. Doubt I'd be all that excited to see them nowadays.

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Ive seen on that list except ACDC in the last few years and was still solidly entertained.  Are they older? Duh. So am I.  Do you like the music?  Then enjoy it for what it is.  Dont worry about the naysayers here.  Some people arent happy unless they are pissing in someone else's Cheerios.  

As far as getting from LA to Palm Springs/Indio, I dont know how you'd do it without a rental car or a $$$ uber or other driver service unless there is a bus/party bus you can find on a fan site.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wow, there's gonna be a lot of 50-something yr old dudes rocking out.  AARP beer discount?
View Quote

This thread makes me feel like the old faggots that go to genesis or bruce springsteen concerts.  I don't want to be one of them.

So I just enjoy the excellent quality live music Metallica puts out for free every few days.  It sounds better and I don't have to spend $1k to hang out for a night with a bunch of washed up old geriatric fuckers reminiscing about something cool that happened to them 40 years ago when they were in their 20s.

Link Posted: 9/25/2023 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top