Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2001 5:27:37 PM EDT
I recently won a bid on ebay for an item that ended up costing me $420.00.  The seller was a Canadian company with over 1000 positive feedback comments and only 7 negative.  

I mailed my payment about 8 days ago and have not heard from the company.  I contacted them after 5 days had passed and they said that they had not yet received my money order, but would contact me as soon as they got it.  I live in NY, and the Canadian city that I sent payment to is only about 420 miles away.  

Is it normal for it to take this long to mail something to Canada (I would think not) and if its lost in the mail, is it easy to stop payment or cancel the money order?  I don't think there is any funny stuff going on with the company because they have sooo much positive feedback.  

Just wanted to get some opinions as it is a large sum of money for me...

Thanks all

Semper Fi...
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I always send my money orders (US Postal Money Order) via Certified Mail. I don't trust the mail with just sending it regular mail. I would give it some more time, with all the crazy mail stuff going on, I have noticed mail is a little slower, maybe even slower to Canada? I would not be too worried about them trying to screw you, if they have good eBay feedback. Give it a little more time, after another business week, I would start worrying that it got lost in the mail. Good luck
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently won a auction on ebay and sent $74.90 by USPS Money Order.  That was 20 November and it went First Class Mail.  The guy in Arizona still has not seen it.  

I called the Post Office customer service line and the guy told me that there was no guarantee first class mail would reach its destination...and then he said not even in one year.  I said "Well then that pretty much means you guys are useless!"  I was a bit upset.

Wait until a another 10 days or so pass and then you'll have the next great joy of taking about 6 months to get the money back from your USPS MO.......and then after you  file and waiting for pay back it will show up in Canada.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
You can check to see if the m.o. has been processed by calling 800-868-2443.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Did the seller say USPS money order was OK ?

I've *heard* that USPS couldn't be cashed in Canada , but that may be incorrect.

FWIW
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#5]
USPS offers domestic and international money orders, I would assume that an international MO would be needed for Canada.

I also suggest that you give it some more time.  I sell on eBay all the time, and I have noticed that when 1st mail used to take 3 days now takes about 7. Priority also takes a little longer too (even though it isn't guaranteed).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought an item from another member back in September & sent a PMO for $200. As of today he still has not received it. I sent another one back in early November & he received it in 3 days & the item that he sent me was received in 3 days. I am in the process of trying to get my $$$ returned from the USPS & as was posted before it's a very slow process. Red tape, BS & alot of people working for the USPS that don't know jack shit about their job!!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bought an item from another member back in September & sent a PMO for $200. As of today he still has not received it. I sent another one back in early November & he received it in 3 days & the item that he sent me was received in 3 days. I am in the process of trying to get my $$$ returned from the USPS & as was posted before it's a very slow process.
View Quote

I've had one lost before (USPS), it did get refunded several weeks after turning in the paperwork.  I was just thankful I could get my money back, it would've been more difficult if it'd been a different m.o.  The fact you can check to see if they've been processed is an advantage IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top