Cool.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
those are good pics.  

and congratulations
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool.

You guys are getting hydrogen sulfide out of the hole?  Nasty stuff, stay safe.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
So ... gonna "move to Bever-leeeeee"?

If so, can I meet your cousin Ellie May?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
congrats!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
That brings back good memories. I spent 10 years working on rigs, started out roughnecking and ended up pushing. Loved it... fullclip
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
You're drilling for tannerite!

Nice pics Brou.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very cool.

We didn't see any H2S.  But it's always a danger in the area, thus the warnings.

It's still possible that we might get a little in a gas well.

For those that don't know, H2S is EXTREMELY poisonous.  If you hit a pocket of gas that contains H2S and have a blowout, everybody on the rig could die.  If you're ever on a rig and smell rotting eggs, RUN.  If the smell suddenly goes away, that means it has overwhelmed your senses and you're fucked.  

Really?  Even in open air it's that dangerous?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]
How big is the drill bit? Dont suppose you could set a pop can on it for comparison? How much do they cost? What are they made of? How fast can a drill dig? Is the mud reusable? How do you measure where the drill bit is? How do you keep it drilling straight? How can you drill a hole, then drill at an angle or drill sideways to open it out? How tall is the drill rig?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very cool.

We didn't see any H2S.  But it's always a danger in the area, thus the warnings.

For those that don't know, H2S is EXTREMELY poisonous.  If you hit a pocket of gas that contains H2S and have a blowout, everybody on the rig could die.  If you're ever on a rig and smell rotting eggs, RUN.  If the smell suddenly goes away, that means it has overwhelmed your senses and you're fucked.  

What precautions do you take?

Cool pics.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How big is the drill bit? Dont suppose you could set a pop can on it for comparison? How much do they cost? What are they made of? How fast can a drill dig? Is the mud reusable? How do you measure where the drill bit is? How do you keep it drilling straight? How can you drill a hole, then drill at an angle or drill sideways to open it out? How tall is the drill rig?

Well aren't you Mr. 20 Questions.

Cool pics brou.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well aren't you Mr. 20 Questions.

Cool pics brou.

Call me curious. Ever since touring a refinery I've been hooked.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#15]
High Kelly, dull bit. Same ol driller, same ol shit! Damn oil field trash, anyway! Dopers paradise - a drilling rig....you work on a rig, they have joints 30 feet long, five gallon buckets of dope.....and a pusher on every rig!

Congrats! 368 feet, that's a pretty good pay. Gonna frack it? Water flood?

If that puppy actually makes some oil...you gonna be able to what you WANNA do.

None of my working interests ever made much money....but it's fun trying!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#16]
OIL RIG

Oxidation Is Loss [of electrons]

Reduction Is Gain [of electrons]

sorry.  MCAT in 16 days.  gotta be in the right mindset
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Really?  Even in open air it's that dangerous?

Not only is it bad, it's extra bad.  

Seriously, too many people have died from it.  It's a god damn shame.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I got to visit an oil rig like that one on field trip in school.

Way cool.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#22]
howard hughes' fortune was based on a rotary drill bit i think his father patented. remember reading something about them getting 30k to rent them. they never sold them i think.

this is all vague memory from something i read somehwere.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I demand that you abandon that well immediately and move the rig to my land.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#25]
This is your friend when working anywhere that H2S might be
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very cool.

What precautions do you take?

Cool pics.

They probably have a "Mud Logger" on site. Basically what it does is check for gas in the mud being circulated out of the hole. It will pick up traces of gas in the mud and break them down to see what kind of gas it is. They will have alarms on the rig to sound if the H-2-S shows up. Give you a head start. Cliff version.. fullclip
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

drill collar

1.  n.  [Drilling] ID: 1358

A component of a drillstring that provides weight on bit for drilling. Drill collars are thick-walled tubular pieces machined from solid bars of steel, usually plain carbon steel but sometimes of nonmagnetic nickel-copper alloy or other nonmagnetic premium alloys. The bars of steel are drilled from end to end to provide a passage to pumping drilling fluids through the collars. The outside diameter of the steel bars may be machined slightly to ensure roundness, and in some cases may be machined with helical grooves ("spiral collars"). Last, threaded connections, male on one end and female on the other, are cut so multiple collars can be screwed together along with other downhole tools to make a bottomhole assembly (BHA). Gravity acts on the large mass of the collars to provide the downward force needed for the bits to efficiently break rock. To accurately control the amount of force applied to the bit, the driller carefully monitors the surface weight measured while the bit is just off the bottom of the wellbore. Next, the drillstring (and the drill bit), is slowly and carefully lowered until it touches bottom. After that point, as the driller continues to lower the top of the drillstring, more and more weight is applied to the bit, and correspondingly less weight is measured as hanging at the surface. If the surface measurement shows 20,000 pounds [9080 kg] less weight than with the bit off bottom, then there should be 20,000 pounds force on the bit (in a vertical hole). Downhole MWD sensors measure weight-on-bit more accurately and transmit the data to the surface.

See: bit, bottomhole assembly, circulation system, collar, keyseat, measurements-while-drilling, outside diameter, saver sub, sub, weight indicator

www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com/Display.cfm?Term=drill%20collar  

follow the link for hyperlinks that will give a world of info on drilling... Fullclip
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Cool thread!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#30]
That brings back memories. Cool pics!
I had a buddy I worked on a rig with that his dad's company lost everyone on a rig but the engineer, sad.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:16:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Congrats on the 10k and those are real nice pictures.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:23:08 AM EDT
[#32]
AHH  the sweet smell of H2S, the smell of money. I love it when I get nice fat Royalty checks every month from Exxon. My Dad did the same thing, prospected a site and through his and my Uncles contacts got it done. Both were Mud Engineers for many years.  Congrats  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:35:31 AM EDT
[#33]
People went apeshit in the Valley north of Anchorage when various coal bed gas drillers started exploring around residential areas there (it's what most people would consider rural, not suburban or built-up in the lower 48).  They were afraid it contaminates the water.

Did Schlumberger log your well?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:37:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Brou, best of luck on your payday man.  Class 3 all the way.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top