Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2004 4:30:21 PM EDT
Were the soldiers of the Confederacy pensioned by the US government and were they allowed to be buried in national cemetaries when they died post-war?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope not.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Were the soldiers of the Confederacy pensioned by the US government and were they allowed to be buried in national cemetaries when they died post-war?

No and No...I think.  I do not believe they were pensioned.  Even if they were allowed to be buried in a Nat. Cemetary...I highly doubt they would have wanted to be.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure about the Federal government. But the soldiers were pensioned at the State level. Housed in old soldier homes. Buried in Condfederate cemetaries along with Union dead.

The war was about State Rights vs. Federal Government rule.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Most pensioned by the individual states.  Most were buried in local cemetaries, many of which had veterans sections.  Those that went on and had Federal Service in Spanish-American  War, Fitzhugh Lee, Fighting Joe Wheeler, etc, egained eligibility for burial in a Veterans Cemetary.

Veterans Cemetaries at locations other than battlefields or Military Installations started in the 1930's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I hope not.

Sgtar15

calm down sarge,these boys fought valiantly against  a superior enemy for that in which they believed.yankee cocksucker.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm not sure about the Federal government. But the soldiers were pensioned at the State level. Housed in old soldier homes. Buried in Condfederate cemetaries along with Union dead.

Fucker! This thread is doomed now!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope not.

Sgtar15

calm down sarge,these boys fought valiantly against  a superior enemy for that in which they believed.yankee cocksucker.

They tried to cede from the Union.  They are lucky Lincoln let them back in the way he did.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope not.

Sgtar15

They tried to cede from the Union.  They are lucky Lincoln let them back in the way he did.

Sgtar15

Somebody should have shot that fascist tyrant a few years earlier.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
what we got here is faliure to communicate
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#10]
They tried to cede from the Union. They are lucky Lincoln let them back in the way he did.

Sgtar15

Just think of it, if the Confederate States were not allowed back in, they won in the long run. And then they could stop Yankees from moving here. Plus charge tolls to those wanting to get to Florida.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#11]
i am glad we are back.i just think that if i were around in the south back then that i would have joined the cause.not to over simplify,but,lets say that the liberal northeast compelled the u.s. army to impose their (the n.e.'s)anti 2nd amendment agenda on the south.i would fight.kinda the same.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Read this book before you make up your mind. Remember, history is as varied as the people who write it. You need to understand it from both points of view.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd argue the point but then you'd surrender

Again

Anyway I would hope they would have received some benefit from the states, though I would have thought that the feds would have outlawed or restricted benefits to rebel soldiers.

at least the south fought to the end in defense of their rights.what have you new yahkers done other than surrender them one by one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#16]
There is at least one (I'm thinking TWO, for some reason) confederate soldiers buried at Shiloh National Military Park's Nat'l Cemetary.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I've met Aimless and shot next to him on the firing line for two days. He is a standup guy who I would trust at my back anyday. Don't let that NY address under his name fool you into thinking he's like some of the ner-do-wells in that state. We have some in our state too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope not.

Sgtar15

Sgtar15

Damn, Sarge we agree on something!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#19]
ibtl

I've seen the papers where my great-grand uncle (whatever!) applied to the state of SC for his pension in something like 1902!  I don't remember the date exactly, but it was after the turn of the century.  Apparently the law setting aside funds for Confederate vets took a little time to get passed!

-YJ
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've met Aimless and shot next to him on the firing line for two days. He is a standup guy who I would trust at my back anyday. Don't let that NY address under his name fool you into thinking he's like some of the ner-do-wells in that state. We have some in our state too.

I agree with the address part. One of my good friends has NY, NY address. He was victim of the Yankeeism until I talked some since into him. But from what I can tell some of them have an extreme case of it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

No, they didn't fight to the end, in the end they Lee surrendered..

Fixed it for you (no option for gray so I had to use blue ).  And after seeing how dishonorably Washington acted after the surrender he regretted it.  Not even going to go into the others that didn't surrender (Price, Shelby to name a few).
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd argue the point but then you'd surrender

Again

Anyway I would hope they would have received some benefit from the states, though I would have thought that the feds would have outlawed or restricted benefits to rebel soldiers.

at least the south fought to the end in defense of their rights.what have you new yahkers done other than surrender them one by one.

No, they didn't fight to the end, in the end they surrendered.

Oh and I had my NY state concealed carry permit long before you sheep in Tennessee were allowed to carry concealed, how come y'all didn't rise up and fight for the many decades TN wouldn't let you carry concealed?

Now stop arguing with your Yankee Overlords, it's considered rude behavior among the conquered.

did you see what happened last year when they tried to pass a state income tax on us?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Because they were in the end, ALL American soldiers. It was called the reformation, and Lincoln and his successors worked very hard to ensure that the south could be brought right back into the United States. Persecuting them would not heal the divisions.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#29]
states were sovereign at the time and not controlled totally by one federal gov. preceding the war.  there was an illegal embargo and tarrifs placed on southerners which was causing cotton and rice to rot in warehouses.  the harbors had been blockaded and people were pretty much at the end of their ropes.  the concenses was that if a republican went into office then the states would have to succeed which they had the right to do because of the sovereign rite of statehood.  the federal government illegally declared war on states that were acting within the law.  no compensation has of yet been paid...the state attacked by an opposing force had the right to defend  its boundaries.  
i jotted this down real quick between tv shows so please overlook the spelling.

after the war the board of freedmen was organized to (supposidly) give property to freed slaves. instead northern official conspired to acquire land which was titled to a black family and then seize the property and sold or kept for themselves....and we also know that no black person ever received their 40 acres and the mule they were promised either.....

southern is a heritage i hold dear and i swore to uphold and defend the constitution of the united states and by God's grace i will live to see them both survive.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
did you see what happened last year when they tried to pass a state income tax on us?

LOL sure did, I was in Nashville as the crowd with pitchforks and torches assembled around the capital. I gotta give you credit on that front, our taxes are ridiculous, we lose businesses all the time to some of the southern states. Not sure how much of that is cultural v. population density, give it 20 years, the South is "less South" and more "generic american" every year.

I've still had a pistol permit longer than you though, and I didn't have to take any stupid .gov course to get it either.

fair enough.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#31]
[shitstirrer]Weren't Jummy Carter and Bill Clinton both Southerners?[/shitstirrer]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Some said something about killing Lincoln years before...you need to read history son...Lincoln was the Souths best friend as the war was ending.....

He wanted to show no malice toward the South and to welcome it back with open arms with no reprecussions...to help it rebuild and to rejoin the Union..

Booth, single handed, set the South back almost 50 years...when Lincoln died the hard liners that wanted to make the South pay, did just that.

10 years of reparations..that destroyed the South's ablitity to rebuild it's economy and to repair it's infrastructure...they allowed Carpetbaggers to come down and rape the South of it's resources and made the South house Troops for the 10 years....

Booth is the reason way at the turn of the Century that the south was almost like it was at the end of the war...broke, dis-spirtited and bitter...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Weird that they take federal greenbacks down there if they never threw in the towel.

Damn carpet baggers wouldn't take the "real" money from us!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Confederate Soldier's pensions were paid by their respective states.  Our hallowed dead are burried in cemetaries maintained by their decendents, mainly the UDC (United Daughters of the Confederacy), of which my mother and daughter are members.  Because if this, we have no need of a nanny state looking after our honored dead.  

Save your Confederate money boys, the South will rise again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#38]
as one of the original postings stated about the war being about the rites of a state to govern itself verses an all powerful government imposing unfair taxes and tarriffs on crops and goods produced which the country had just fought england over, it would be foolish to expect compesation and federal cemetary's to care for southern soldiers.  just think if it had been the other way....maybe we wouldnt be paying taxes out the yingyang and being told what we have to do every day by the federal gummit....think about it!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
states were sovereign at the time and not controlled totally by one federal gov. preceding the war.  there was an illegal embargo and tarrifs placed on southerners which was causing cotton and rice to rot in warehouses.  the harbors had been blockaded and people were pretty much at the end of their ropes.  the concenses was that if a republican went into office then the states would have to succeed which they had the right to do because of the sovereign rite of statehood.  the federal government illegally declared war on states that were acting within the law.  no compensation has of yet been paid...the state attacked by an opposing force had the right to defende  its boundaries.  

after the war the board of freedmen was organized to (supposidly) give property to freed slaves. instead northern official conspired to acquire land which was titled to a black family and then seize the property and sold or kept for themselves....and we also know that no black person ever received their 40 acres and the mule they were promised either.....

southern is a heritage i hold dear and i swore to uphold and defend the constitution of the united states and by God's grace i will live to see them both survive.

Put down the crack pipe. Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#40]
yeah,,,its funny ....lots of this stuff is hidden in books....
most of the world will never see it
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Put down the crack pipe. Seriously

sorry, thats illegal where i live, i really dont know anything about that stuff, i'm sorry that you have to be exposed to things like that in Pa.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
yeah,,,its funny ....lots of this stuff is hidden in books....
most of the world will never see it

Most of the world will never see it because it is untrue. Sorry to burst your bubble.

BTW, I am a degreed historian who studied under Dr. Gary Gallagher, the John L. Nau III Professor of the History of the American Civil War at University of Virginia. I believe I have probably researced this topic a tad more than most folks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
states were sovereign at the time and not controlled totally by one federal gov. preceding the war.  there was an illegal embargo and tarrifs placed on southerners which was causing cotton and rice to rot in warehouses.  the harbors had been blockaded and people were pretty much at the end of their ropes.  the concenses was that if a republican went into office then the states would have to succeed which they had the right to do because of the sovereign rite of statehood.  the federal government illegally declared war on states that were acting within the law.  no compensation has of yet been paid...the state attacked by an opposing force had the right to defende  its boundaries.  

PAEBR332 obviously has little knowledge of US history.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PAEBR332 obviously has little knowledge of US history.

Please see my post above. I would be willing to bet I have more years of formal undergraduate and graduate level US History study than all the posters combined on this thread so far. And just to head off the obvious, I got my undergraduate history degree in Texas, which I beleive was actually in the Confederacy (subtle sarcasm).

Try to keep the yankee bashing to a minimum when you reply.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#45]
The South was perfectly within its rights to leave the Union.  Prove me wrong by showing me the relevent language in the Constituion.  BTW  I have a history degree too.  But mine is only undergraduate.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#46]
may be you should get out from under  that doctor and spend some more time on the pond. the sun light should do you good.  i'm glad you got degree'd and all, i bet your moma is sure proud of her boy...i guess you're mad cause them ol'e southern boys tore up pennsylvania so bad back then...i know sherman made a mess down here when he was fighten women and children on the way to the coast.  yep, burned and destroyed just like they did all the native american plantations a few years before to seize land for resouces like gold and timber and drive them out to live on reservations....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Article VI:

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

Federal Government is SUPREME per the Constitution itself. A superior entity cannot be dissolved by an inferior one. The individual state's acts of secession were laws in violation of Article VI, and per this article were null and void.

I also recommend you read Federalists 1 through 20 wherein Madison, Hamilton and Jay make it quite plain that the Consitution being debated is to establish a PERMANENT UNION.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
may be you should get out from under  that doctor and spend some more time on the pond. the sun light should do you good.  i'm glad you got degree'd and all, i bet your moma is sure proud of her boy...i guess you're mad cause them ol'e southern boys tore up pennsylvania so bad back then...i know sherman made a mess down here when he was fighten women and children on the way to the coast.  yep, burned and destroyed just like they did all the native american plantations a few years before to seize land for resouces like gold and timber and drive them out to live on reservations....

I live 30 miles from a place called Gettysburg. The South did not do too well there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top