Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 1:22:15 PM EDT
So I get this check in the mail from what seems to be ACCC Insurance Company for $3,380
Says based on a previous survey I filled out im to be a mystery shopper. Now I usually dont fill out forms like that, but it may be possible. Im pretty sure its one of those scams, most of the money they sent they want me to western union a large amount to a secret person they have listed on the form. $300 is for me and also to spend $80 at a k mart, or walmart and write up a review on buying a product.

Im just curious what would happen if I deposit it and wait a few months and not touch it. I have 2 free checking accounts with no money in them that ive been saving for something like this. Ive read about check scams like this where you would deposit it, spend the money but then in a month the bank says the funds are bad and want the money back.

What do you think, risk depositing it, and doing nothing. See if this company tries to contact me again. See if it clears in a few months. Say its legit, im sure the person who sent me the money cant do anything to me if I sit on it as they sent me the check with my name on it.
See if the bank or check cashing place would just cash it.

Looks like the letter is addressed from texas, but was sent from canada, as it has french postage and french and english words made by the post office, the marks from when it was scanned into the system.
A google search comes up with nothing I could figure out.
The insurance company name on the check comes up with websites but nothing that says a scam.

No where on the check does it say it expires, or is not a real check.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Western Union involved?  Big time scam.

Check will come back as stolen or no good, either way, trying to hook you for 2 grand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You can deposit the check but it will just come back as bad. Personally I'd have it framed and hang it on the wall.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the financial institution that issued the check and check if they are legit; they might be phishing for your account's routing number. I would also check the institution with the Better Business Bureau to see if people have been scammed in the past with bogus "Mystery Shopper" checks. The long of the short? DON'T TRUST IT.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#4]
"Possible scam" ??? Really dude??? Ya think???  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
yep the old, cash the check, wire them most of the money, you keep some for your trouble...then the check bounces and you get stuck paying for it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Jus forward it to the State Attorney General.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]

First thing I notice is that Interstate 35 doesn't go through Houston and 78*** zip codes are in Austin.

-p.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
well if anything I would just cash it and keep it, im not falling for the western union scam. plus it would be in a checking account I dont use, has no money in it. Bank name on check says amegy bank of texas. I would love to just cash it at a check cashing place.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Turn it in to the FBI.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No where on the check does it say it expires, or is not a real check.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top