Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 10:05:33 AM EDT
Our SERT team has been placed on standby for possible deployment to NO from Mass. We are primarily a land-based search and rescue (lost persons) and crowd control team. We do not do technical rescues or SWAT/high risk entry stuff.  What should I/we bring for a 7-10 day mission? I am almost positive personal weapons/long arms (Ar15) will not be allowed.  I'm stuck with issued P226 .40cal. No boats/ATVs/heavy equipment will be brought. We have not been told what our role will be yet.

It's easy to come up with the basics of food, water, shelter, medical supplies, and communications but what else?

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Upto date on your shots?

Hep A&B
Teatnus
Pneumonia

You will be exposed to all kinds of sick people and unsanitary conditions

Take tons of purell with you, it literally could be a life saver
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
We DO have shotguns available. Also some M14s, although not everyone is trained.  I was thinking more along the lines of personally owned AR15s.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
BUG SPRAY, I'm taking two thermo-cells wit me.  Have no idea where I'll be sleeping.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Work from your head to your toes.

Unsure of your uniform regulations.  Sun is an issue.  Boonie hat/ stetson?  Any leeway in allowable sun cover?

What load bearing gear do you use?  Bring black zip ties to repair or modify it if attachments shit the bed.  White zip ties break more easily and lose strength more quickly in a hostile environment.

Feet - smart wool socks if available.  Otherwise, goretex or better if you can swing it.  How many extra pair of duty footwear do you have in your rotation?

Incidentals:  asprin/tylenol/vitamin I; bug spray; hand sanitizer; nitril gloves; paper towels/TP; bic lighter; a quality pocket knife/multi tool; more water than you thought you'd need; candy/powerbars/comfort food, not just what you're issued or told to bring; aloe; personal first aid kit; toothbrush, shave kit, etc, etc; immodium AD - only take half a pill if you want to poop within the next 24 hours; tums;

Think about what you use in a week. Base your packing list off of it.
I wish you the best.

-Ben
South Coast
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Work from your head to your toes.

Unsure of your uniform regulations.  Sun is an issue.  Boonie hat/ stetson?  Any leeway in allowable sun cover?

FEMA says they will issue T-shirts to wear. Sunscreen is your friend.

I'd also consider ballistic protection (vest). It may just wind up making your bag heavier, but better to have it if you need it than the other way around...

What load bearing gear do you use?  Bring black zip ties to repair or modify it if attachments shit the bed.  White zip ties break more easily and lose strength more quickly in a hostile environment.

FYI - Black Nylocks (zip-ties) have an anti-UltraViolet stabilizer in them, to resist breakdown from exposure to sunlight. As an unintended consequence, they also are more resistant to most normal nylon breakdown agents, like battery fumes and gas vapors.

Feet - smart wool socks if available.  Otherwise, goretex or better if you can swing it.  How many extra pair of duty footwear do you have in your rotation?

Good call. Our agency issues all leather Red Wing "fire boots" as out day-to-day attire. I'd consider a set of the leather nylon "jungle boots", or other composite style, if only for rapid drying and breathability. Make sure whatever boots you get have an steel shank plate - there's sure to be broken glass and nails all over the place.

Incidentals:  asprin/tylenol/vitamin I; bug spray; hand sanitizer; nitril gloves; paper towels/TP; bic lighter; a quality pocket knife/multi tool; more water than you thought you'd need; candy/powerbars/comfort food, not just what you're issued or told to bring; aloe; personal first aid kit; toothbrush, shave kit, etc, etc; immodium AD - only take half a pill if you want to poop within the next 24 hours; tums;

Good list. Consider taking a carton of smokes, even if you don't - it'll make you fast friends with the chain smoker from Way Hell'N'Gone FD or Wheredafukarewe PD. Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). Wally World sells a big container for like $3 (You might run up against something that your body doesn't like)

Earplugs (the foamy kind) - makes for a quieter night if you're sleeping in a hanger full of guys on different shifts.

A few of the LED flashlights / headlights and a big pack of AAA batteries. Once again, a valuable trade item.

Hot sauce (Tabasco) for the MRE's.

Also consider an Esbit or multi-fuel stove for cooking / heating MRE's.

An entrenching tool and carrier.

Leather work gloves - not the fabric / leather combos, but a set of "driver's" style gloves. 2 or 3 pairs. Fire gloves would probably be overkill.

FEMA says bring a sleeping bag. Don't forget one of the roll-up combo foam/inflatable pads, or at very least a GI style ground pad.

Think about what you use in a week. Base your packing list off of it.
I wish you the best.

-Ben
South Coast

Me too. We've filled out our apps and are waiting for our  HMFIC to yea or nay it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Upto date on your shots?

Hep A&B
Teatnus
Pneumonia

+25       That place is going to be a Hep A nightmare with all of the raw sewage (brown trout) floatin' around.  Good Luck.  Some of our guys on Texas TF are already there doing Tech and Collapse rescue.  Also sent 10 AFD paramedics and a chief or two.  They are telling bad stories.  

Debo
Austin Fire Department
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#9]
FOP is coordinating relief efforts for officers in Gulf Coast region.

http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=25739

http://www.grandlodgefop.org/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top