Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2011 10:14:07 AM EDT
Does anyone know if there is any possibility to change a RE4 re-entry code? I got out honorably as a Corporal. So far I have been hearing that I'm stuck with it and can't rejoin.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
What is your sep code? what caused the RE-4? what branch are you trying to join?
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 4:02:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Sep code: MBK1  I was court martialed for Article 134: Communicating a Threat. I kept my rank, money and honorable discharge. I'd perfer going back to the Marines, but I'd to go to any branch that will take me at this point.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I doubt it.  But contact your recruiter and give it a try.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd try Army Reserves or National Guard.  There are 53 separate National Guard recruiting programs.  Keep trying - you might have to drill in Guam, though : )  Tough to upgrade that code after a court-martial, however.

An RE-4 code is supposed to keep you out, however.  You were lucky to get an honorable discharge.

Merry Christmaunakh!

backbencher
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I had an awesome JAG attorney who made sure I got my honorable
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
How is it you got whacked for something I've heard a million Marine NCO's yell at tons of dumbass privates?
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#8]
My First Sergeant wanted to fry me. He went through half the UCMJ before he found something he could get me tried for in court.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 1:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]
RE-4- Not recommended for reenlistment

Individuals with a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard RE Code of "4" are normally not eligible to reenlist in their service, nor join another service.

Doubtfull. Never hurts to apply though. Someone in recruiting command may require a waiver. Codes don't say "never", just not recommended.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I received an honorable discharge in 1991, due to a locally imposed Bar To Reenlistment.  I got the Bar for getting in too much trouble in a short time frame (alcohol abuse, fighting, telling a CPL "Fuck 'em," about a SGT).  My RE code was RE4.

After I had been out awhile, I looked into reenlisting.  I was told that it was possible, but would require a waiver, signed by the recruiting company commander.  I had to get several letters of recommendation from respected members of the community.  For those, I chose a high school teacher, a manager at work, and the Adjutant of the American Legion Post where I was a member, who happened to be a deputy sheriff and retired Navy CPO.  I then had to interview with the commander, himself.  He asked about my alcohol use, if I'd been in any legal trouble since my discharge, etc.  He then stressed to me that if he put his name on a waiver, any thing I did while in the Army would reflect on him and his judgement.

It took me five years, but I was able to overcome an RE4 and reenlist.  But, that was in the mid-90's.  The times are quite a bit different now.  Then, no one wanted to join the Army and the recruiters were all but having to beg on the street corners.  These days, the military is at the beginning of a major drawdown, and recruiters are turning people away for the smallest reason.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]
You want honesty or you want me to sugar coat it.  In the SOF community the answer is NO.  In the other side of the house, the answer is a very slight maybe, and only after a very long and quite drawn out waiver process requiring a few congress critter and other persons of influence to grease the skids.

If you want to still make a contribution, join the peace corp.  We work with them as NGO's and they are great to be with and work wonders with the hearts and minds side of the OP.

MSG R
18Z50    

Quoted:
Thanks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top