Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2001 6:39:40 PM EDT
Got pulled over today for expired inspection sticker. The cop was a young guy so I was sure I would get a ticket. But, I was pleasantly surprised.

I had my hands on the steering wheel as he approached and told him that I had a CHL and a pistol under a jacket in the passenger seat. He looked kind of stunned like he had never been in that situation before. He asked me to get out of the car because my wallet was in my back pocket. I got out and gave him my licenses and he told me my tag was expired.

He then asked if I had insurance to which I replied, "yes". He asked if it was in the car. When I said yes he said not to worry about it. He then asked if I had any warrants and I said, "no". He told me he was going to run my license and if everything was cool I could go. When he got out of his car he asked what I carried and if it was a good shooter.

He let me go and said, "I appreciate you being honest with me" to which I replied, "I appreciate you not giving me a ticket". We were both at the same intersection when leaving. I looked over his way to see if traffic was coming and he gave me a wave. I waved back and drove on.

There are some good cops out there that realize CHL holders are generally good people. I know that if I hadn't had the CHL I probably would have gotten a ticket.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to hear that side of the story also sometimes.

Aviator  [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been pulled over eight times in the last five years or so. Every time I was guilty as hell (usually speeding, once for a headlight out, once for too many people in the cab of a pick-up, etc.). I have always been very polite to the officer and have had no tickets except failure to wear a seatbelt. One of the speeding stops was for 90 in a 55.
One new deputy did take my S&W 686N and unloaded it before he handed it back to me. Kinda pissed me off at the time, but not too major a deal. I sat there and reloaded it before either of us left the scene.
Most officers I have dealt with are decent folks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I am over 50 and have more than my share of stops by officers.  Not once have I been asked about weapons.  At times my hair has been long, at times it has been short.  Sometimes I have been dressed in suit and tie, other times nasty jeans and t-shirt.  I think it all has to do with attitude.  You act suspicious, you get treated accordingly.  If he asks where are you going and you have nothing to hide, why create a problem by 'exercising your rights'?  Yes, you have the right not to answer any questions, but refusal to do so raises questions to the officer.  You forget the dregs of society that they constantly deal with.  I am not defending them and I had one hassle with a cop about 9 years ago.  I got his ass canned because he apparently had been previously complained about.  I have probably been pulled over 40 to 50 times in my life and less than half the time I got a ticket.  I did not kiss their butts, I just responded to the officers in the manner in why I would have liked them to respond to me and with the one exception, no problems have occurred.  

I even got pulled over in Ohio and if I had been a dickhead, I would have probably gone to jail due to the pistol in the glove box.  I was courteous to him and he responded in kind.  His younger partner wanted to search the car simply because I was out of state and was told to chill by the more senior officer.  By the way, I was pulled over for speeding and did not get a ticket.

I repeat that not one time was I ever asked about a weapon so I don't know why some seem to have problems.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks you, Bunghole(lol), for your topic selection.  All the stereotyping of LEOs  really gets old.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top