Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 11:01:23 AM EDT
They seem like a prison for the innocent to me; what say you?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Which zoo are you living in?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  Buy a family membership/donate to the local zoo every year.  I also support this site.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
Support might be a strong word.  I patronize them and enjoy letting my kids see the animals.  I also eat beef.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I wanted to click yes and I like beavers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#6]
lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

A guy named rino Hunter is worried about caged animals?

Ya. I take my kids to the zoo. We try to go every spring while the weather is nice. It cost us $30 for the fam to get in. I guess that is supporting the Sacramento zoo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I support zoos, but I don't like menageries. There is a difference. I don't like circuses either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes. Yes I do. Even though I hate going to the local one... The Cinnabon shop gives me a headache as I walk from Macy's Home to Williams-Sonoma.  Oh you said Zoo. I thought you meant Malls.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm With you.

I understand the origins, but in this day and age, I think they are completely unessacary.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wanted to click yes and I like beavers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#13]
No. I have nothing wrong with the idea but the ones around here are always filled with public school youth run amok on "field trips" that consist of unmonitored street urchins running around yelling.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm With you.

I understand the origins, but in this day and age, I think they are completely unessacary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm With you.

Where are your kids going to safely see Tigers, Lions and Bears? What about Penguins, Puffins and Peacocks? After all I'm sure they are all native to Florida?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#15]
User name is ironic
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I support zoos, but I don't like menageries. There is a difference. I don't like circuses either.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#17]
There are some zoos that seem like they shouldn't exist.  There are however a lot of them that do a lot for conservation both in and outside of their confines.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Depends on the purpose of the zoo.

I'm sure some zoos could be just exploiting animals in someones profit venture.  Others offer conservation and educational opportunities.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#19]

support - yes, financially (but not voluntarily).

our local zoo has evolved into a money-sucking black hole of taxpayer-subsidized ridiculousness.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, and Zoos support conservation. At least, my local Zoos are real involved with that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Zoos are keeping a lot of species from extinction.

They're called sanctuaries for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Where are your kids going to safely see Tigers, Lions and Bears? What about Penguins, Puffins and Peacocks? After all I'm sure they are all native to Florida?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm With you.

We can just have them look them up on the internet instead of wasting our own time with our own children in a fun & educational setting.  IMHO kids spend far too much time outside in the real world when they could be surfing the web.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes for the ones dealing with conservation.   It can be bad having all known breeding animals from a population living in one area.  It's the "putting all of your eggs in one basket" scenario.   Having genetic samples outside the area can help should there be a disaster, disease, or other problems.   Its happened in the past where the zoo kept animals actually helped reintroduce a virtually extinct species to the wild.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Zoophiles?

Those fuckers are sick.

No.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Zoos that keep animals from becoming extinct etc. I'm all for.  Zoos where we cage animals for nothing but our selfish pleasures should be abolished.  With the technology we have today, the special snowflakes can just watch animals on film.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Zoos that keep animals from becoming extinct etc. I'm all for.  Zoos where we cage animals for nothing but our selfish pleasures should be abolished.  With the technology we have today, the special snowflakes can just watch animals on film.
View Quote

This is my view as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes.

1) Life in the wild ain't no picnic. Animals live fast and die young.

2) Zoos can be an important reserve of genetic material for endangered species.

PETA hippies can FOAD.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I CC with extra mags when I go to the zoo hoping something gets out and threatens everyone so I can put it down. It is likely to be the closest to African game hunting I'll get to. So far, I've been unable to successfully harvest an animal. I'd really like to get a kudu to mount and hang in the great room. Maybe a big car of some sort for a rug. I've made a bunch of little rugs out of the local barn cats and set them next to each other in the living room, but it's just not the same look as a tiger or cheeta floor rug centerpiece.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#29]
We have a yearly pass, so I guess yes we do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top