Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2002 11:18:32 PM EDT
Are you religious? If so how often do you attend church?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If I dont work on Sunday I like to get to church.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope, not religious.

I am very spiritual.  Church?  I go every time I go camping.

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a Christian but haven't attended church lately.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope, I'm a Complete Athiest, So there would be little to be gained in my attending Church.

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not Religious. But I am GOD fearing and Bible beliving. There is a difrence.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:03:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, 'religious' in the sense of the term that means a Christian that observes God's laws.

I try and go just about every time the door is open.

And it's open quite a lot.

Eric The(Religious)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:47:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I am not that relegious....Once a year or may be twice a year.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#9]
To me, religion is about rules people follow to make them feel better about themselves. Its the "look what I was able to accomplish, how good I am" syndrome.

My faith in God is about what He did with a relatively worthless person like me. The emphasis is on the goodnesss of God, NOT the goodness of garandman.

Or at least that's the way its supposed to be. Not that I've mastered that yet.

So, when I quote a scripture or disagree with someone's actions, its not about me, or what I think. Its about what God says.

So, in that sense, I'm not religious.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:26:16 AM EDT
[#10]
garandman,

Robert Capon, an Episcopal theologian, once observed exactly what you said.  He said that all religions are based on a quid pro quo (this for that) bargain, but the Gospel was different.  Since humanity can't bagrain with God (eg "I'm so good you have to do thus..." we're literally at the mercy of God.  And in Christ's mercy he gives us new life in, with and through him.  You're right, the emphasis is on the goodness of God and not the goodness of garandman, Schnert etc.

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:29:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope hate religion....

Wasted far to many Sunday mornings in my youth.  Whiling away the hours in church.

I recall as far back as I can remember thinking "what a waste of time"

Now I spend most Sunday Mornings at the Club with my son.....

Now that is quality time!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:32:08 AM EDT
[#12]
once or twice a year, for weddings and funerals. the creator doesn't live in a house, and you cant admire it by looking to man's works.

i dont need a social club to validate my ethics.
a forest is the best church, and the sistine chapel, lovely as it is, is no match for a sunset.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:34:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Am I religious?  Yes, about brushing my teeth, cleaning my firearms, wearing deodorant etc.

Do I fear God, believe that He gave His Son to die on a cross to pay the price for my sins? Yes.  When the doors are open, we're at church.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:37:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Am I religious?  Yes, about brushing my teeth, cleaning my firearms, wearing deodorant etc.

Do I fear God, believe that He gave His Son to die on a cross to pay the price for my sins? Yes.  When the doors are open, we're at church.
View Quote

That was what I was going to say, but you said it better so I'll just say...

Amen brother[:D]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I am very religous, I never go to a church though, my gods don't require it of me.

Everywhere you go, there they are, why go to a specific place to commune with them?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:57:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
garandman,

Robert Capon, an Episcopal theologian, once observed exactly what you said.  He said that all religions are based on a quid pro quo (this for that) bargain, but the Gospel was different.  Since humanity can't bagrain with God (eg "I'm so good you have to do thus..." we're literally at the mercy of God.  And in Christ's mercy he gives us new life in, with and through him.  You're right, the emphasis is on the goodness of God and not the goodness of garandman, Schnert etc.

View Quote

Schnert -

Well said.

With religion, man attempts to bargain with God. AS you pointed out, that is a VERY futile activity for we have nothing to bargain with.

With the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Jesus bargained with God - His death and resurrection for our redemption. Christ had something to bargain with - His sinless life here on earth.

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:57:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not religious.

I do not belive in a higher power.

I do try to live my life in a good way. Just because I don't belive in a god, doesn't mean you have to act like an ass.

Av.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I believe in God, but I don't believe in religion or church.  As far as I'm concerned, all they want is your money.  I don't need a religion to believe in God.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
once or twice a year, for weddings and funerals. the creator doesn't live in a house, and you cant admire it by looking to man's works.

i dont need a social club to validate my ethics.
View Quote

The social club aspect IS frustrating.

a forest is the best church, and the sistine chapel, lovely as it is, is no match for a sunset.
View Quote

I'm curious here -

You seem to decribe being in the forest, or seeing a sunset as a "religious" experience" (My reading of it anyway) And I can understand that, as nature, to me, has ALWAYS been the most visable indication of God I've ever seen.

So here's my question -

Is this a religious experience with God because of His creation, or with yourself, or with Darwin and natural selection????
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I believe in God, but I don't believe in religion or church.  As far as I'm concerned, all they want is your money.  I don't need a religion to believe in God.
View Quote

This is how I feel too.I believe in God.I DO
NOT believe in MAN however.Man is FOS,always has been
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Church is not a bilding. Church is a body of beleavers, every one has his part, if it is there for a socal club you are in the wrong house.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:34:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm a scientist at heart, an analytical person, with a basic understanding of most of the natural sciences.  

Organized Religion is not much better than the mafia, IMHO.  I don't need it.

Belief is for the heart.  My heart wants to believe, and always has.

Science is for the brain.  Logic and proof rule my understanding.

Garandman said...
"You seem to describe being in the forest, or seeing a sunset as a "religious" experience" (My reading of it anyway) And I can understand that, as nature, to me, has ALWAYS been the most visible indication of God I've ever seen."
View Quote

My brain tells me of evolution, natural selection and 'nature's way'...

My heart says that there must be something divine about this place, with all it's mystery and beauty...

I know that quote was directed at someone else, but, I feel the same way.  

we live in a wonderful, mysterious world.  a world which I BELIEVE we will never understand completely.  

Anyway...
I do not call myself religious.

wannabe

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:55:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Went to church once or twice, read Da Book from cover to cover a couple of times, decided that judaism is the religion of whiners with delusions of grandeur, and christianity the religion of smug slaves.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I am devoutly religious and attend church regularly...
hehehe.  Sorry, I couldn't resist.
[:D]

Although I am not a theist, I still sometimes go to church for family occasions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm curious here -
You seem to decribe being in the forest, or seeing a sunset as a "religious" experience" (My reading of it anyway) And I can understand that, as nature, to me, has ALWAYS been the most visible indication of God I've ever seen.
So here's my question -

Is this a religious experience with God because of His creation, or with yourself, or with Darwin and natural selection????
View Quote

good question. short answer - all of the above.
the "religious experience" is about insignificant little me and my relation to the universe. what name you give it doesn't matter. what matters is what you do, and what's in your heart.
i could be more specific, but dont see much point. on the surface we are very, very different. but if you peel back the veneer, we're very, very similar.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a bad experience as a young boy in Church, it really soured me on organized religion. As I grew up, I grew in my relationship with God and accepted Christ as my personal savior...but stayed away from organized religion.

My father felt the call and became an ordained Baptist minister at a small church in Oregon. Believe me this almost does not qualify as a Church as they only had a few members, started out in a small building, and you do not need to dress up to attend. It was a great place to get reaquainted with religion.

Sorry aout the length of this post, but I did not see the choice I wanted on the poll. Why does everyone assume that the measure of religiousness is regular attendance at church? In recent and distant history, churches have been the root of a lot of problems, Jim and Tammy Faye Baker, the Spanish Inquisition, and many other injustices in the name of organized religion. IMHO, humans screw up most everything they get their hands on, including God's perfection.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#28]
[b]"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."[/b] ~ Matthew 18:20

And for those who feel bored or like they're wasting their time in Church - "GIGO".

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#29]
No I'm Atheist, thank god. LOL

pgo
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Why do ya'll feel it impossible to use the common everyday definitions of something so simple as the word 'religious'?

Just look at the yourDictionary.com definitions and see where the most common and accepted meanings of the word:

Main Entry: [b]re.li.gious[/b]
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French religieus, from Latin religiosus, from religio
Date: 13th century

1 : relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity

2 : of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances

3 a : scrupulously and conscientiously faithful b : FERVENT, ZEALOUS
- re.li.gious.ly adverb
- re.li.gious.ness noun

And, again, in the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Thesaurus, we find this:

Entry Word: [b]religious[/b]
Function: adj
Related Word: faithful, staunch, steadfast, true; ethical, moral, noble, righteous, virtuous; honest, honorable, just, upright
Text: Synonyms DEVOUT, godly, holy, pietistic, pious, prayerful
Contrasted Words - godless, ungodly
Antonyms - irreligious

So you must be thinking of some other word when you so steadfastly and cavaliery deny that you are 'religious' in the Tammy Faye Bakker sense of the term!

'Cause there is no 'Tammy Faye Bakker' sense of the term 'religious.'

Quite possibly, you are thinking of words such as hypocrite, dissembler, dissimulator, lip server, pharisee, Tartuffe, whited sepulcher,
pietist, actor, attitudinizer, bluffer, charlatan, faker, four-flusher, fraud, humbug, impostor, masquerader, phony, poser, poseur, pretender, quack, sham, or some other word or term that you could apply to someone who affects virtues, qualities, or attitudes he or she does not actually have, possess, or demonstrate!

I hope that when the time comes, my Lord will find me: religious, faithful, staunch, steadfast, true, ethical, moral, noble, righteous, virtuous; honest, honorable, just, upright, devout, godly, holy, pietistic, pious, and prayerful.

PS - Is 'mother' a bad word in your lexicon, as well? Then shame on you!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Post from The_Mcallan -
And for those who feel bored or like they're wasting their time in Church - "GIGO".
View Quote

'GIGO'? [b]Get in or get out?[/b]

Now, that's [u]righteous[/u]!

Eric The(LOL)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#32]
religion is man's attempt to reach God.
Jesus (Christianity) is God's attempt to reach man.

'nuf said.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Post from The_Mcallan -
View Quote

'GIGO'? [b]Get in or get out?[/b]

Now, that's [u]righteous[/u]!

Eric The(LOL)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Actually it's "garbage-in-garbage-out".

But I like yours too. Works just as well [:D]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#34]
yap, being "religious" changed my life.
Although sometimes I go back to the old angry character, but it would be worse if I didn't turn into "religious".  In my sense, I'm a better peron when I'm "religious"
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Am I religious, NO.
Do I attend church regularly, YES.

I agree with ARlady.

I attend church several times a week, but that is no measure of one's faith, or spirituality.
My Dad was a preacher, so I know the difference between faith, and religion.

I have accepted Christ's sacrifice for my sins.
I have a relationship with the God and Creator of the universe that is real and personal.
I am a person who is learning more and more to live by faith.

By the way, it was the "religious" who crucified Christ.

Have a nice day. [:)]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I voted [:D]

Tyler
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Post from jd123 -
View Quote

No. It was the 'whited sepulchres' that Jesus warned against that crucified Him!

Those who outwardly profess 'religion', but inwardly are nothing but dead mens' bones.

They were blind guides and hypocrites, and the Lord warned us [red][b]'That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.[/b][/red] Matthew 5:20.

Sounds like a pretty narrow way to salvation to me! And few there are that find it!

Eric The(TheOtherWayIs'Broad')Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Church is not a bilding. Church is a body of beleavers, every one has his part, if it is there for a socal club you are in the wrong house.
View Quote

Normally I hate the spelling police......

However you really should consider going to school instead of church.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm a Christian who does no belong to an organized religion and, as such, do not attend religious rituals.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Post from jd123 -
View Quote

No. It was the 'whited sepulchres' that Jesus warned against that crucified Him!

Those who outwardly profess 'religion', but inwardly are nothing but dead mens' bones.

They were blind guides and hypocrites...
View Quote

i think that might be why he put the word religious in quotes to begin with.  they may not have been righteous, but they called themselves religous (meaning righteous).
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#41]
My Pastor always says "religion will cause people to fight, families to split up, and destroy what Christ was here to accomplish.

It doesn't matter what denomination you are, or how many times a week you attend church. What matters is the fact that Jesus Christ is Lord in your life and you have a personal relationship with him, that gets you into heaven...not religion".
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Despite what people may call themselves, they are either religious or they are not.

And claiming to be religious while actually being irreligious, doesn't make one 'religious.'

We simply must have respect for the meanings of words, otherwise we have already lost the battle.

As we have on 'mother' and 'gay.'[:D]

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#43]
I 'NEVER' confuse going to church with being religious.

Never.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#44]
That's strange, 5subslr5, I never confuse [b]not[/b] going to church with being religious, righteous, or saved.

It's like an Emergency Room for restless and troubled souls, what would you expect to find there but folks in need of spiritual attention?

What need the healthy of the Physician?

And if it's like inside the Church, one can only wonder what the state of those outside the Church can be!

Jesus, whose 'zeal' for His Father's House, was said to have 'consumed' Him, gratefully visited the Temple in Jerusalem with full knowledge that those who ran the Temple, had charge over the Temple, and were the High Priests and overseers of the Temple, would one day plot His death!

Yet, He could not be kept away!

Since none of us face trial, humiliation, and death by going to Church, what in God's Name prevents us from going there? He did! He would. And He will.

You may find Jesus on the highway. You may find Him at the Mall. You may find Him in your neighborhood. But the safest and surest way to find Him is in His Father's house.

Eric The(Bingo!)Hun[>]:)]  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes.
Christian.

I have an "issue" about attending church, and I'll not post it in this thread.
Please check the Topic about 'Women Pastors' and help me out with this.

I would be grateful for your sincere thoughts on this issue.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Tough question, I am an observant Jew, I do not do productive work on the Sabbath, I keep the commandments, I do belong to a temple, but we observe at home whis is permissible.
I read the T*r*h and am working on my degree to be a Rabbi.
There was nothing for me to check on the poll. And Stealth is right, it is easier to find G*d in the woods
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a devout atheist.  The only reason I can think of to go to church would be to pick up chicks.  Chicks in dresses are hot and I don't see enough of them.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Not even one cell in my body is religious.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Tough question, I am an observant Jew, I do not do productive work on the Sabbath, I keep the commandments, I do belong to a temple, but we observe at home whis is permissible.
I read the T*r*h and am working on my degree to be a Rabbi.
There was nothing for me to check on the poll. And Stealth is right, it is easier to find G*d in the woods
View Quote

you can do all those things you mentioned, yet you can't spell out the name of your own holy book or the name of God?

please explain why people do this.  i simply do not understand this kind of reaction to this topic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top