Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 11:02:36 PM EDT
Just curious about what one needs to do to go on a police ride along? Is this a very limited, difficult thing to get in on, or do most departments offer this? I'm in a suburb of Los Angeles and would like to go on one in the local area with either the city's PD or the LA SD (in the local area not a shithole like Compton).

I appreciate any information!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Most agencies welcome ride alongs. Bring a picture ID with you, and you'll sign a waiver saying that you'll do what the cop tells you to do and won't look for any trouble or sue the agency if you find it.

Oh yeah, do it at night. Dayshift ridealongs are teh suck.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Our ride-alongs are usually scheduled a week or so in advance.

Brian
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#4]
i wonder if they ask about chl's?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Really, can you carry if you go?  I'd hate to rely soley on the officer to protect me.

LEO's:  I know, i know, what sane cop would want some loose cannon n00b citizen packin heat while riding along in Compton at 2am for the first time?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Be prepared!

Bring two forms of ID and a few bucks for food.

Make sure you're in shape and physically able to ride along - Notify of any medical conditions.

Wear neutral clothing and long pants.  No flip-flops or weak shoes.

Do not bring any video cameras or other media for taking pictures, including cell phones.

Talk to your loved ones before making the decision to follow though with the ride along.

Do not wear offensive logo brand hats or clothing (includes police patches).

Bring a heavy-duty flashlight, like a Maglight or Surefire.

Demand some upper body armor.

Do not bring any firearms or weapons of any kind.

Don't get in the way or joke around too much.

Take care of any personal hygiene issues prior to showing up for the shift.

Be dedicated to the ride along and present a positive attitude.

Okay, I joke around a little, but you get the idea.

ETA:  To find out more, click here: www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Police+ride+along+&btnG=Search

Pick a few links and read the info.  You won't get a bullet proof vest, but they all have pretty strict rules.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:50:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:03:10 AM EDT
[#8]
The one I went on was preaty simple . Sign a few forms and ride around all night listening to Art Bell with a buddy .

I had to give up my knife for the ride . As soon as we got in the car he said "Nothing is going to happen . This red button right here unlocks the shotgun just so you know . "
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:37:39 AM EDT
[#9]
In my town the PD has a comuntity program that has classes that they give once a week for about 2 months along with a ride along.  Last year they took some of the people that participated to the range and let them shoot the PDs 9mm AR.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
in the agencies I've dealt with you go down to the dept and ask at the counter. they can schedule a time. you sign some waivers on the day of the ride along and hop in. pretty straightforward.

Been my experience.  Some seem to like to hear that you are interested in being a police officer.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They always ran me before and knew I had one.  They asked that I not carry.  The one guy left the shotgun unlocked for me and explained what rounds he had in it so that if I needed it I would have it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Most of us do a quick eval of the person riding with us prior to telling them about the shotgun lock.

And taking a camcorder is probably going to be frowned upon.  Primarily if you think you are going to use it while on calls for service.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine are always with friends - I don't know what the official policy is in this city (1,000,000 pop) but what I always get is: "You have your .45, right?"  "Yup."  "Well don't wait until I'm shot to get involved."  "Won't you get in trouble?"  "Fuck it, I can get OUT of trouble...I can't get out of dead."  "OK."
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want to volunteer your time to "ride along", I'd suggest to volunteer your time and join a local LE reserve unit.  Then... you could be the one giving "ride alongs".  

In my area, most people just cant walk in and sign up.  You usually have to be a student of police science, criminology, etc, at a local college before you're able to do so... or be an entry level reserve deputy.  

Good luck!

... and yes, at least do a swing shift if possible.  Stay away from the day shift.  It is usually full of slackers, old timers, and people who just dont give a ****.  Swing shift and grave yard shift is where the action is.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:14:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't pound the back of the seat and keep your mouth shut.................Ooops, sorry, you mean when its your idea.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Make sure you're in shape and physically able to ride along

How does one do that? I wasn't aware riding in a car for 8 hours was a physical activity...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:43:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does one do that? I wasn't aware riding in a car for 8 hours was a physical activity...

I am thinking he is talking about bladder issues or having a bad back.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am thinking he is talking about bladder issues or having a bad back.

Thos could both be taken care of with frequent stops at the local Asian "health" spa...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a friend that went for a ride along with the local cops and ended up in a shoot out.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#20]
A good friend of mine is a Columbus Detective now, but when he was a Patrol Officer I had several Ride-Alongs with him. FIRST thing to be sure of is that you have no outstanding want or warrants for YOUR arrest. He ran my SS & Drivers License every time I rode along per Dept. Policy, and signed the usual waivers and disclaimers. For the most part it's pretty boring driving around looking for "trouble", but I've been along for a drug deal gone bad/murder of a 25 year old gang banger. I found a stolen car MYSELF off the Hot list one night, and numerous OMVI's, DV calls, and a couple of "gun runs".  I have an Ohio CCW and I was NOT allowed to bring my pistol along!!!  There were a couple of times I would have felt MUCH safer if I was allowed to have it with me but no go. I think everyone should be required to do a ride-along to see what the Police actually go through in the course of a day.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the responses guys.

I am not interested in going into LE, so hopefully my city's PD won't have that as being some sort of prerequisite for riding along. I have no record and don't have a carry permit (this is S. CA after all) so all that stuff is a non issue. Hopefully it's as simple as just walking in and inquiring about it and signing some forms before I hop in the seat.

I definitely would rather do the swing or graveyard shift.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Something I always wanted to do as well..    lots of good info here.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, dont slow the cop down I am a good runner and very agile we were responding to a hot prowler and we ran about two blocks and jumped 2 fences, I stayed right with the cop, but If I didn't he probably would have been pissed...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I was a pd intern up here over the summer, i put in about 120hrs of rides. Your relationship with the officer is highly important, they usually encourage that you ask questions but you must stay out of the way and safe when things heat up. I was never offered the use of armor, and on two occasions wished I had it. I was shown the protocol for emergency situations and access to the shotgun, on one incident I came uncomfortably close to having to need it. The officer will explain the house rules when you are first assigned, but if not it is acceptable to ask what is expected of you, or any signals for him to give if he wants you back in the car or to go for help. I enjoyed some of my day rides as much as my night rides, mainly due to the character of the officer more than the events that occured.

Bring $$ for food, and pee when you can. Weapons are usually disallowed up here, my PP hasn't cleared yet so I didn't have to worry about it. Being an intern and riding with the same guys day after day gave me on opportunity to take a more active role, acting as an assistant and having dialogue with people in trouble. Some of the best experiences of my life, and beneficial to my future career path.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The one I went on was preaty simple . Sign a few forms and ride around all night listening to Art Bell with a buddy .

I had to give up my knife for the ride . As soon as we got in the car he said "Nothing is going to happen . This red button right here unlocks the shotgun just so you know . "

+1 on the shotgun. Samething I was told
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I was a pd intern up here over the summer, i put in about 120hrs of rides. Your relationship with the officer is highly important, they usually encourage that you ask questions but you must stay out of the way and safe when things heat up. I was never offered the use of armor, and on two occasions wished I had it. I was shown the protocol for emergency situations and access to the shotgun, on one incident I came uncomfortably close to having to need it. The officer will explain the house rules when you are first assigned, but if not it is acceptable to ask what is expected of you, or any signals for him to give if he wants you back in the car or to go for help. I enjoyed some of my day rides as much as my night rides, mainly due to the character of the officer more than the events that occured.

Bring $$ for food, and pee when you can. Weapons are usually disallowed up here, my PP hasn't cleared yet so I didn't have to worry about it. Being an intern and riding with the same guys day after day gave me on opportunity to take a more active role, acting as an assistant and having dialogue with people in trouble. Some of the best experiences of my life, and beneficial to my future career path.

Enjoy.

im sorry not laughing at you but that is too damn funny
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Enjoy.

Damn, only took about 2 hrs and my driver had me harrasing Mexicano's and stomping crack pipes on the sidewalk. Best part was shining the Stinger in their eyes, Travis said it makes em see spot's
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Depends on who and where you go with but my son was handed the AR and asked to watch a Deputies back while he was checking out a few empty warm 925c's.  Up in the area of Cheney Trail or Millard Canyon for those of you who might know where they are.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't tie your dog up to the fence behind the station!

I did a ride along in college to get info for a paper.  It was cool, but nothing happened.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd be talking high school shit all nite,and who was/is single.BTW had a boss who was a state trooper in IN,car spent more time picking up parts at Freightliner dealer(amazing,as there more cheats n thieves at that place than anywhere else on earth!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top