User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2013 2:38:33 PM EDT
An elk on duty in a residential area.
District Attorney Stan Garnett today announced
that Boulder police officers Sam Carter and Brent Curnow were arrested
this morning in connection with the Jan. 1 shooting of a towering bull
elk on Mapleton Hall, saying investigators determined the two men
conspired to kill the elk as a trophy and for its meat.

The officers are facing felony counts of tampering with physical
evidence, attempt to influence a public servant and forgery, as well as
misdemeanor charges of unlawful taking of a trophy elk, conspiracy, a
Samson law surcharge, killing an elk out of season, use of an electronic
communication device to take an elk, and official misconduct.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
good
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
good

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if they really thought that deleting those text messages would make them inaccessible to an investigation
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I never knew or heard about the Samson Law.

For those as retarded as me:

The
additional fine is the result of the so-called Samson Law passed by the
Colorado legislature. The Samson Law came about as the result of a
poacher shooting a 1,000-pound elk near Estes Park. The new measure
places mandatory fines on top of existing penalties. The added amounts
range from $4,000 for an antelope up to $25,000 for a bighorn sheep. The
surcharges are levied only when a trophy-sized animal is taken.

"The
Samson bill is a valuable instrument on the wildlife books. People have
said they don't want to see their wildlife resources plundered and have
taken a hard line to deter poaching," Trujillo said.

The fines for poaching trophy-size animals, as defined by the following measurements, are:

• Pronghorn antelope with a horn length of 14 inches or more $4,000

• Bull elk with six or more points on an antler beam $10,000

• Whitetail deer buck with an inside antler spread of 18 inches or more $10,000

• Mule deer buck with an inside antler spread of 22 inches or more $10,000

• Any bull moose $10,000

• Any mountain goat $10,000

• Bighorn sheep with a horn length of one-half curl or more $25,000

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
People's Republic of Boulder. Police not respecting the law. I wonder where they ever got the idea....Oh, wait, that's the essence of what is poured into the empty heads of those matriculating at CU.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

People's Republic of Boulder. Police not respecting the law. I wonder where they ever got the idea....Oh, wait, that's the essence of what is poured into the empty heads of those matriculating at CU.

Hate on Boulder all you like, but it really is a nice place to live. Sure, there are hippy, liberal freaks, but it has a lot to do, is clean, little crime, tons of outdoors stuff to do, etc.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Now if they could only get rid of the scumbag dirty cop up in Ft Collins who once again lucked out.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Does that charge mean that you are not allowed to use radios in a hunting party, or is it specific to the poaching charge?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does that charge mean that you are not allowed to use radios in a hunting party, or is it specific to the poaching charge?

electronic game calls. It's ok to trick them by rubbing two sticks together, but you'll go to jail forever for using an electronic mating call.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

electronic game calls. It's ok to trick them by rubbing two sticks together, but you'll go to jail forever for using an electronic mating call.

It's illegal to use two way communication devices to coordinate the taking of game in a lot of states.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
good

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess the officers now know what a book being thrown at them looks like.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Good.

Headlines should read:  Boulder Police Hiring.  Apply at City Hall.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now if they could only get rid of the scumbag dirty cop up in Ft Collins who once again lucked out.  

? Details

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#16]
How many times have I heard this in GD?

"If you don't want to get arrested, dont break the law"

Time to pay up coppers
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#17]
After reading some of the side stories at the sights, I've concluded the people there are odd.

"Boulder residents mourn Mapleton elk at candlelight vigil"

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_22322028/residents-mourn-boulder-elk-at-candlelight-vigil?source=pkg

I'm all for the poaches being charged in this case, but a candlelight vigil for an elk??
I know a lot of us have had a lot of anger, a lot of questions, a lot of uncertainty,” he said. “Tonight's a celebration, a celebration of the elk. We loved him. But I think he loved us, too, because he returned to this neighborhood.

WTF!
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#18]
The elk was acting like an asshole, not obeying lawful commands, and goaded the officers into the act.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#19]
They should have stuck to dags.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Neighboring communities were outraged. " Suck my balls " was overheard repeatedly at the rally.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Wait, Elks don't have dogs, this story makes no sense.  Why were they even there?    

Boulder may be left leaning but oink is right, I lived right outside of Boulder for a few years, not a bad place overall.  Hard to complain about a city that close to some very beautiful country with food that good.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Meh, 15 years ago the Sheriff of Boyd county Ne. got ass-raped for poaching a elk.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's illegal to use two way communication devices to coordinate the taking of game in a lot of states.

I think it was legal when I hunted in NJ and I don't remember if Pennsylvania had a rule on it or not. I think it was legal in New York, too. This is going back a few years, though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hate on Boulder all you like, but it really is a nice place to live. Sure, there are hippy, liberal freaks, but it has a lot to do, is clean, little crime, tons of outdoors stuff to do, etc.

And there was an amazing amount of really HOT girls that liked to party back in 1995 when I lived there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And there was an amazing amount of really HOT girls that liked to party back in 1995 when I lived there.

Why would you move away?

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seems like a law that could cause safety issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top