Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/28/2011 7:01:16 AM EST
I'm new to plasma cutting, only done MIG welding. I am looking at a cutter rated to 1/2" steel. With plasma cutters, can I make multiple passes to cut through, say, 3/4" steel, or is the 1/2" a max, and multiple passes won't cut any more? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:03:52 AM EST
I suppose you could, but it'd be ugly & messy, not to mention hard on the consumables. You'd basically end up having to make multiple passes to make a 'v' then cut through the bottom of that. Not really recommended. Which cutter are you looking at? Is the 1/2" a cut or sever rating?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:04:46 AM EST
No way to get oxy/acetylene torch?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:06:49 AM EST

I suppose you could scarf away material to cut something thicker than the maximum, but it would be a mess.

Proper amps and slow down for the thicker stuff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:07:16 AM EST
What cutter are you looking at?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:07:20 AM EST
You get what you pay for in a plasma cutter. Get a Miller Spectrum 625 or better. It will cut in a single pass.

I bought mine on Craigs for 1/2 of what a new one goes for. Yes, you have to be very quick to catch a deal like that, and I camped out for a couple hours waiting for the meet, to insure I got the box.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:14:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2011 7:16:37 AM EST by SuperJanitor]
Where plasma cutters really shine is cutting 3/8 stock or thinner with great precision and little to no dross. Even if a machine is "rated" for 1/2 or thicker, those kinds of jobs are usually better left to a oxy/acetylene and if precision is needed, then a bandsaw.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:17:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By SuperJanitor:
Where plasma cutters really shine is cutting 3/8 stock or thinner with great precision and little to no dross. Even if a machine is "rated" for 1/2 or thicker, those kinds of jobs are usually better left to a oxy/acetylene and if precision is needed, then a bandsaw.

Good advice.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:22:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By SuperJanitor:

I was going to say something similar to this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:47:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By wildearp:
You get what you pay for in a plasma cutter. Get a Miller Spectrum 625 or better. It will cut in a single pass.

I bought mine on Craigs for 1/2 of what a new one goes for. Yes, you have to be very quick to catch a deal like that, and I camped out for a couple hours waiting for the meet, to insure I got the box.

Millers are definately nice machines, even nicer if you can find a deal on one. I have a Thermal Dynamics that does a nice job.
Top Top