Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2011 8:01:16 AM EDT
I'm new to plasma cutting, only done MIG welding. I am looking at a cutter rated to 1/2" steel. With plasma cutters, can I make multiple passes to cut through, say, 3/4" steel, or is the 1/2" a max, and multiple passes won't cut any more? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I suppose you could, but it'd be ugly & messy, not to mention hard on the consumables.  You'd basically end up having to make multiple passes to make a 'v' then cut through the bottom of that.  Not really recommended.  Which cutter are you looking at?  Is the 1/2" a cut or sever rating?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#2]
No way to get oxy/acetylene torch?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]

I suppose you could scarf away material to cut something thicker than the maximum, but it would be a mess.

Proper amps and slow down for the thicker stuff.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#4]
What cutter are you looking at?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#5]
You get what you pay for in a plasma cutter.  Get a Miller Spectrum 625 or better.  It will cut in a single pass.  

I bought mine on Craigs for 1/2 of what a new one goes for.  Yes, you have to be very quick to catch a deal like that, and I camped out for a couple hours waiting for the meet, to insure I got the box.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Where plasma cutters really shine is cutting 3/8 stock or thinner with great precision and little to no dross. Even if a machine is "rated" for 1/2 or thicker, those kinds of jobs are usually better left to a oxy/acetylene and if precision is needed, then a bandsaw.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Where plasma cutters really shine is cutting 3/8 stock or thinner with great precision and little to no dross. Even if a machine is "rated" for 1/2 or thicker, those kinds of jobs are usually better left to a oxy/acetylene and if precision is needed, then a bandsaw.

Good advice.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was going to say something similar to this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You get what you pay for in a plasma cutter.  Get a Miller Spectrum 625 or better.  It will cut in a single pass.  

I bought mine on Craigs for 1/2 of what a new one goes for.  Yes, you have to be very quick to catch a deal like that, and I camped out for a couple hours waiting for the meet, to insure I got the box.

Millers are definately nice machines, even nicer if you can find a deal on one. I have a Thermal Dynamics that does a nice job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top