Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/10/2017 1:21:31 PM EDT
Not from me though.
I want to know why OTHER people hate it.
Thinking of switching from non 24-hour health club to a PF closer to my house that is 24/7/365.
Pros
-Cheaper ($150/year cheaper)
-Closer to my living quarters
-Better for when I work overnights.
Cons
-Being made fun of on ARF
-??
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I can gather, the types of workouts that people do looking for serious "gains" are triggers for their lunk alarm lol. Making noise, dropping weights etc.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If you do heavy lifting you grunt, if you grunt you set off their alarms, if you set off their alarms you are kicked out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Pro:
Gym girlfriend
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Why is that I don't drop 125 pounds dumbbells but Enrique over in the left US dropping 45s? Or that I don't need to make constant noise. I've never been to PF but it's complaints seem blown out, though the fact that you can get pizza is a bit silly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I can gather, the types of workouts that people do looking for serious "gains" are triggers for their lunk alarm lol. Making noise, dropping weights etc.
View Quote
I do lift but don't throw dumbells around or anything. How sensitive are they about it? I don't want to be worried about getting shamed by a "judgement free" gym for being too loud.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Did they have deep dish?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]
May this thread be flooded with people doing strange exercises at planetfatness
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Planet Fitness is for wannabe fags. That retarded "lunk alarm" shit is fucking stupid and you can tell all the managers and 99% of their employees have never lifted a weight in their lives. Fuck that place.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#11]
No idea, I'm lazy
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/TUPDUkA.gif
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]
No squat racks.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not from me though.
Thinking of switching from non 24-hour health club to a PF closer to my house that is 24/7/365.
Pros
Cons
-??
View Quote

If you workout at midnight it probably isn't bad. I wouldn't think all of the gay stuff happens.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#15]
If you are serious into lifting, they don't want you there is my problem.

You hog up space by coming in 3+ times a week.  This makes the place crowded and the casual person may go somewhere else. 

So they toe the line between affordability and keeping the people shuffled out.  Think about it, they actually have a system to shame the people that are serious about their health.

As a businessman, I actually appreciate their business model.  As a lifter, I think it sucks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I love my local PF. I'm about to head there in about 20 minutes. They employ good people. They are all very young (mostly teenagers, a few young 20 somethings), but they do an impeccable job of keeping everything immaculately clean. The locker room is well ventilated and doesn't smell like ass, the showers are actually nicer than my shower at home, and I've NEVER had to wait to use any piece of equipment. For $10 / month, I feel like I'm getting away with robbery.
View Quote
I feel the same way about mine - I mainly do cardio (4-5mi per day), weights (nothing serious) and core workouts. I've been nothing but happy with mine - and it's a steal at the price point compared to other gyms.

The only thing I seriously wish they had was a pool.

There is some dumb shit they do - like put out donuts and pizza for people which is a great way to get people to stay fat and keep coming back - but people who that disgust me - why the fuck are you in a gym just so you can destroy your entire workout with 1-2 donuts, great job numbnuts.

Also I've noticed that while there are people in there working out - they're not really working out - it's more a place so people can say "yeah I go to the gym" but I hardly see anyone actually sweating like you would if you were seriously working out.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#17]
There is an Anytime Fitness at the entrance to my subdivision.  I checked out Planet Fitness based on price alone, but they had no barbells or squat racks.  I'm a big 4 lifter and that was a deal breaker for me because I refuse to use the Smith Machine for my major lifts.  In fact, the Anytime Fitness by my house used to have three barbells, but some jackhole broke one dropping it while using it with the landmine, so they never replaced it.

Now, there is one complaint about the Anytime Fitness closest to my house.  They ban the use of chalk for lifting...  Other than that, I can do everything I want to there.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pro:
Gym girlfriend
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you are serious into lifting, they don't want you there is my problem.

You hog up space by coming in 3+ times a week.  This makes the place crowded and the casual person may go somewhere else. 

So they toe the line between affordability and keeping the people shuffled out.  Think about it, they actually have a system to shame the people that are serious about their health.

As a businessman, I actually appreciate their business model.  As a lifter, I think it sucks.
View Quote
Which is why it's better to go later at night. Anything after 11:30p and before 5:30a on weekdays. If you can work it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No squat racks.  
View Quote
What kind of gym doesn't have squat racks?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#21]
My planet fitness doesn't even have a link alarm.  The biggest downfall is the lack of a barbell instead it has a smith machine. I've been able to lose weight and gain muscle while going to planet fitness.  If gaining strength is the goal, you can top out at planet fitness and may need to switch gyms at that point.

ETA: along with the lack of a barbell, there are no squat racks either.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Planet Fitness is okay as a general fitness place.  It's cheap on a membership price, it is very clean, equipment is always in good shape, and the general populace can get a decent workout in.  You won't become a powerlifter or olympic lifter by working out there - you'll lose a few pounds if you're overweight, increase cardio capacity, and maybe build a little muscle.  PF gets a lot of hate and rightfully so for the already stated reasons in the many PF threads.  If you're an average person who wants a cheap place to workout and get a little stronger and healthier, PF will work for you.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not from me though.
Pros
Cons
-??
View Quote

You have issues if you care what anyone on ARF thinks...

I go to PF, because it's close and 24hrs.  The fact it's cheap is good, but not a big deal for me.  I don't care about their stupid gimmicks... have never been to one of their ridiculous pizza parties or any of the other nonsense they do.  You'll probably find when you're going later in the evening, most of the people there are just there because they don't want to deal w/ a crowded gym, etc..
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I feel the same way about mine - I mainly do cardio (4-5mi per day), weights (nothing serious) and core workouts. I've been nothing but happy with mine - and it's a steal at the price point compared to other gyms.

The only thing I seriously wish they had was a pool.

There is some dumb shit they do - like put out donuts and pizza for people which is a great way to get people to stay fat and keep coming back - but people who that disgust me - why the fuck are you in a gym just so you can destroy your entire workout with 1-2 donuts, great job numbnuts.

Also I've noticed that while there are people in there working out - they're not really working out - it's more a place so people can say "yeah I go to the gym" but I hardly see anyone actually sweating like you would if you were seriously working out.
View Quote
Pretty much agree w/ everything here as well and I'm pretty much the same as him w/ my workouts (mostly cardio, weights but nothing serious)......

The pizza and donuts thing drives me nuts... however I always laugh.. the PF I go to is the anchor of this big strip mall... and their is a Dairy Queen on the edge... I can't tell you the number of people I've watched go from PF to the DQ... it kills me
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I do lift but don't throw dumbells around or anything. How sensitive are they about it? I don't want to be worried about getting shamed by a "judgement free" gym for being too loud.
View Quote
Do they even have any barbells, or is it all machine replacements?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Pro- cheap. convenient.

Con- Only one peck deck. (everyone waits to use it).  no free barbells.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
The one I go to has an assortment of dumbbells but that's it... the rest is machines.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
The one I go to has dumbbells as well (up to 80lbs) but no barbells.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I belonged for three years. Paid $99 a year and went over every morning to use the treadmills and a few machines.

Never had pizza there or even a Tootsie Roll.

If it was closer I would probably still belong.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#31]
24 Hour Fitness costs me $215 a year, with access to any gym in the world.

Dunno if they still offer contracts like that now, though. Their regular monthly contracts fucking blow.

Planet Fitness has a real lack of equipment. Barbells should be the basis for any strength training program, which PF lacks. Don't grunt, ever.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#32]
dumbells only go up to 75 at my PF and no real barbells
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#33]
The one by me has 4 smith machines, dumbells up to 85 and a bunch of cable machines.
I am willing to give it a try, but I don't understand the pizza thing. It seems counterintuitive.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Love me some smith machine, get that deep stretch and burn

vinkovacki bilder 220kg - momak je prejak za nas smrtnike
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I like that i can wear my crocs there
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#36]
9 bucks a month. I'll take it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#37]
meh,
so glad I've got my own gym.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#38]
isnt planet fitness just curves with a new name?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you do heavy lifting you grunt, if you grunt you set off their alarms, if you set off their alarms you are kicked out.
View Quote
While they say this, it has been my experience that they do not give a crap as long as you are in the weight area.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#40]
The Planet Fitness near me is full of ugly housewives and ghetto trash

The LA Fitness near me has 9's and 10's in yoga pants
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Planet Fitness is okay as a general fitness place.  It's cheap on a membership price, it is very clean, equipment is always in good shape, and the general populace can get a decent workout in.  You won't become a powerlifter or olympic lifter by working out there - you'll lose a few pounds if you're overweight, increase cardio capacity, and maybe build a little muscle.  PF gets a lot of hate and rightfully so for the already stated reasons in the many PF threads.  If you're an average person who wants a cheap place to workout and get a little stronger and healthier, PF will work for you.
View Quote
Exactly.  For me it works great.  If you are looking for something different then go there.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/TUPDUkA.gif
View Quote
Business casual with a tie and pizza slice?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey it's still better than sitting on your ass at home.

It's like the caliber debate. Better a .380 than nothing at all.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Go get a guest pass for a couple free workouts, do your normal work outs and see how folks react, then make your decision.

When I first got to NOVA I worked out for free for over a month on guest passes at various gyms.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#45]
PF doesn't have squat racks, so no work out can be done there. The free pizza is enticing but no one has ever gotten any stronger or healthier from spending time in PF.

It's not better than nothing. It's worse than nothing as it a waste of time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pro:
Gym girlfriend
View Quote
And that's about it. If you are into lifting seriously and heavy then PF is not a good bodybuilding gym. Oh but I forgot their pizza Fridays and the loud noise no-no.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#47]
I joined PF tho get back in shape and then move on to another gym when I felt limited. I stopped going for a few months when my son was born, but am back at it and am close to the point of changing gyms.

The good:
Super cheap
Pretty much empty when I go 3-5am
Clean
Pizza and bagels if you are into that.
If you get their Black card one location around here provides a haircut each month.

The Bad:
No squat racks or barbells for bench presses. People use the Smith machine to bench press. Or use dumbells but are limited to 50lbs I think.
It's basically what I consider automated workouts, Cairo and weight machines. Their free weights are lacking.

Depending on your goals it could be ok, but if you are looking for a more intense workout I would look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
PF doesn't have squat racks, so no work out can be done there. The free pizza is enticing but no one has ever gotten any stronger or healthier from spending time in PF.

It's not better than nothing. It's worse than nothing as it a waste of time.
View Quote
For dinner you're gonna order an extra-large pizza with everything on it. Literally everything. If you don't like sardines, don't put 'em on, but anything else that you like you have to load it on there. After you pay the delivery guy, I want you to take the pie to your coffee table, open that fucker up, and grab a bottle of oil. It can be olive oil, canola oil, whatever. Anything but motor oil. And I want you to pour that shit over the pie until half of the bottle is gone. Just soak the shit out of it.

Now before you lay into it, I want you to sit on your couch and just stare at that fucker. I want you to understand that that pizza right there is keeping you from your goals.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never been in one with a barbell.  Most have dumbbells that go up to 50 or 80 lbs depending.  There's a ton of "cardio" equipment a handful of machines and some dumbbells.

I travel quite a bit for work and I figure that a drop-in fee is better than going back to the hotel and watching TV.  That's about the only use I have for them, it's better than watching TV.

True story, I've been asked to leave 2 different PF locations.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've never been in one with a barbell.  Most have dumbbells that go up to 50 or 80 lbs depending.  There's a ton of "cardio" equipment a handful of machines and some dumbbells.

I travel quite a bit for work and I figure that a drop-in fee is better than going back to the hotel and watching TV.  That's about the only use I have for them, it's better than watching TV.

True story, I've been asked to leave 2 different PF locations.  
View Quote
That's a badge of honor.  

Couple years ago there was bro that had a set of bumpers and bar in his car.  Dude would drive around, find a parking lot and post up.  Open the doors, crank the music and lift.  Always wanted him to go do it in front of a Planet Fitness, see how long before they kick him out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top