Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 9:48:08 PM EDT
My old car (with the guy I sold it to) was on Pinks on SpeedTV this week (an Import vs Domestic shootout).

I had the car setup for road racing; the new owner pulled all of the suspesion mods,, swapped the t-56 for a TH400, added a 100 shot on top of the 17 lbs of boost, and set the car up for drag racing.

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2791613315565467864&q=pinks
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Very intresting show I've never seen it before. I like how Calm and cool Jeff was the Whole time. May I ask how much you sold The car to him for? and how much MORE money he put into it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:42:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I had about $40k in the car and sold it to him for ~ $18k; he put about another $15k into it, but offset some of that by selling off all of the RR stuff.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]
truely pathetic. 20 car lengths? no nitrous? geezus....got whooped by a guy with a broke car while being given 2 car lengths. Show was cool when they had the first one with corvette and blue nova wiht both pushing over 1,500 hp and racing heads up
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Good to see Old Royce getting his air time.
I'm within earshot of the track!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
truely pathetic. 20 car lengths? no nitrous? geezus....got whooped by a guy with a broke car while being given 2 car lengths. Show was cool when they had the first one with corvette and blue nova wiht both pushing over 1,500 hp and racing heads up

I believe that Jeff sold the Honda back to it's owner for some reasonable price. While he had it he had his tuner (the guy in the video doing his negotiations) fix it and tune it on his shop dyno. It made 589 FWHP, which isn't bad for a little car.

As far as Jeff's TA goes, he's currently testing for his NHRA license; the car is finished and runs consistent 8.40's.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember when you used to line up along side each other and see who was faster. non of the 20 car length head start crap.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#7]
lol
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
What's with the car covers and covered trailers?

I watched pinks all last year, you can see they got some sponsorship money this season..
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought the kid's group whining that their wastegate hose was cut was a joke.  If the wastegate line were cut, it would spill pressure, lowering the pressure to the wastegate.  Lowering the pressure the wastegate "sees" makes the wastegate not spill off as much pressurized air, which raises the boost... improving performance.

At least... that's the only way I've ever seen a wastegate setup installed with valves for adjustment.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I thought the kid's group whining that their wastegate hose was cut was a joke.  If the wastegate line were cut, it would spill pressure, lowering the pressure to the wastegate.  Lowering the pressure the wastegate "sees" makes the wastegate not spill off as much pressurized air, which raises the boost... improving performance.

At least... that's the only way I've ever seen a wastegate setup installed with valves for adjustment.

Apparently they caught the wastegate hose in the hood latch. Guess the TV folks edited that part out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently they caught the wastegate hose in the hood latch. Guess the TV folks edited that part out.

WoW. the whiney lil bitches went around accusing the other team of sabatoge. THe firebird dude shouldve jus taken his car after he rolled on the start. He got the car anyways, but geez. Worst Pinks show ever. Like others have said, Run what ya brung and do heads up, none of this 20 car bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I watch Pinks regularly and saw that episode last week.  The 20 lengths weren't helping the import reputation at ALL, to say the least.  ~600 FWHP is damned impressive for a 1.8L, though.  Too bad it's a bitch to launch b/c it's WRONG wheel drive.

He said he "broke" second gear in the F-Body.  Ever figure out what the deal was there?

The specs said 396 ci with a s/c (you mentioned 17 lb) AND a 100 shot.  That would make enough torque to snap many a tranny, especially w/slicks.

PS - I've never understood FWD drag cars.  Why do it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't mind the covered cars and trailers, etc.  Its theatrics, but not annoyingly so.

This "negotiation" business is bullshit though.  Defeats the whole damned purpose of drag racing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
PS - I've never understood FWD drag cars.  Why do it?

Because little johnny-ricer can't stand the fact that his civic will never be able to run with the big boys, but they want to try anyway.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Reminds me of my high school days.  My best friend had a mildly buiilt Dodge Omni GLH turbo.  We lived at about 4500 ft elevation which really gave the little turbo a big advantage.  I saw him whip many v-8 rear wheel drive muscle cars with that thing.  The looks on the faces of the guys driving the mustangs, camaros, roadrunners, etc. was absolutely priceless

ETA- That car was amazing. we figured it ran high 12's or low 13's and it would get 40mpg on the highway!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Reminds me of my high school days.  My best friend had a mildly buiilt Dodge Omni GLH turbo.  We lived at about 4500 ft elevation which really gave the little turbo a big advantage.  I saw him whip many v-8 rear wheel drive muscle cars with that thing.  The looks on the faces of the guys driving the mustangs, camaros, roadrunners, etc. was absolutely priceless

ETA- That car was amazing. we figured it ran high 12's or low 13's and it would get 40mpg on the highway!

There's an ARFCOM member who owns a built-up one of those little cars.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow!  They were rare even back then and they really weren't built to last.  I owned an 84 naturall aspirated model and an 85 Turbo, but mine was never anywhere near as quick as my friends.  I'd love to find another some day, but it's been years since I've seen one on the road.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow!  They were rare even back then and they really weren't built to last.  I owned an 84 naturall aspirated model and an 85 Turbo, but mine was never anywhere near as quick as my friends.  I'd love to find another some day, but it's been years since I've seen one on the road.

His screenname is something like "killingmachine..."  Don't quite recall.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish the show put cars up that were equal in times/trap speeds. That way they go heads up, where it's all driver. Those kids were whining about their car being FWD, run what ya brung.

I've been racing AWD turbo Mitsubishis for the past 6 years or so. I just sold my 91 Galant VR4 that ran pretty consistent hi 12s, still too slow for me though. I'm building a motor for a 91 Eclipse that I hope gets about 400hp. I'd like to see an AWD Mitsu on there, but I bet it would break after 2 passes LOL.

I stopped driving FWD when I was 4 years old. That's when I went from my tri-cycle to a bike.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:40:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Jeff  has a good reputation as being a great tuner. His website showcases some of the vehicles he works with regularly.  
www.carolinaautomasters.com/
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:00:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Jeff  has a good reputation as being a great tuner. His website showcases some of the vehicles he works with regularly.  
www.carolinaautomasters.com/

Here's the link on Jeff's site to the Pinks story: www.carolinaautomasters.com/pinksstory.php

Jeff G is the car owner/driver. Jeff C is the Tuner. He's fairly new to the car tuner business, buthas been involved in playing with GM stuff at least since I met him in 1996 when he had an Impala and a Firebird and I had just bought that TA.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I don't mind the covered cars and trailers, etc.  Its theatrics, but not annoyingly so.

This "negotiation" business is bullshit though.  Defeats the whole damned purpose of drag racing.

Yeah,didn't think they could fuck up drag racing, but never underestimate the power of tv to dumb things down. Watched the first episode,but with the "negotiation" angle just got bored with it very quickly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#23]
After watching 30 seconds of it I couldn't STAND those whiny bitches with the Honda.
If I had won it, I'd set it on fire and roast some weinie's and marshmellows.
I think the Red Vette / Nova was the best one also.
Couldn't imagine launching in a car with 1300 hp, although I'd love to do it just once.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I kept wanting to fastforward to see who won.  Ive watched the show a few times. I just dont get off on the idea of taking the other persons ride.  I know thats the whole premise of the show but if I won Id be a good sportsman about it and just give the guy his car back.  Hell I allready beat him, why kick him when he is down.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I kept wanting to fastforward to see who won.  Ive watched the show a few times. I just dont get off on the idea of taking the other persons ride.  I know thats the whole premise of the show but if I won Id be a good sportsman about it and just give the guy his car back.  Hell I allready beat him, why kick him when he is down.  

Actually, last season, one guy did give back the car he won, saying he didn't feel right about taking the car and wanted a rematch later.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

There was an episode that the guy did that. The other team was having issues and the dude didnt wanna take his car that way.

Look at this way though. Would the other team be a good sportsman and let you keep your ride? Ya have a 50/50 chance. Id take his car. Esp. those whiney Honda boys. Maybe if the dude was cool and not being a whiney lil bitch, id let em keep his car.......actually.......NAW!!!. Id take his car.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Great Show
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

His screenname is something like "killingmachine..."  Don't quite recall.

Yeah, they are fun cars for sure. There was an article in sport compact magazine which featured one of the guys that built his reliable mid 12s omni for 2 grand.

You can follow my progress at www.omniglht.com

My goal is at least 300HP to the wheels and over 30MPGs. I should be there for sure this year.

As to the origional topic, I would never run my car against anything RWD for the title. With the little FWD cars you can out run a lot of guys, but it is not worth it when their bite is as bad as their bark. I have put way too many hours tracking down relativly obscure parts on the internet and in JYs to make my car run for cheap due to the fact that the omni takes more work to make the parts fit than another  K-car.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#29]
wow, i was on a board with the guy that started that programme. Claim to fame eh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top