Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 1:51:02 PM EDT
Hi.

I have picked up some of the Korean 3006 ammo from cheaper than dirt. Mine has the headstamp PS 75, and the lot number was PS-2-191 I'm not sure if that's a good or bad mark, but either way I checked EVERY round. No cracks or whatnot. BTW, what exactly is wrong with the casings on the defective ammo? Is the defect noticeable (IE, cracked case) or unnoticeable? (IE, weak casing)?

Thanks.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
btt

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure but try www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/garand/garand.pl
and am pretty sure that there may be a thread about it or someone will know.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#3]
BTT.

This is the same headstamp number that KB'ed the other guys Garand. He reported seeing cracks on unfired rounds. I've inspected each round, and have found no cracks...please advise...

Ben
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Was the problem visually identifiable?

I 'spose you are right....

Ben
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]
There was a thread here a few months ago where a board member and his brother both had cracked M-1 Garand stocks as a result of using it during a competition.

Sounded to me like an overpressure issue.  If so, I doubt you’ll see any visible indicators of potential problems on a specific round.

You might want to ask this in either our ammunition or our competition forum.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I read that thread. HE also reported that he had unfired rounds with cracks in them. This is what leads me to beleive that the exploding Garand syndrome is caused by cracked cases on the rounds.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
... HE also reported that he had unfired rounds with cracks in them. This is what leads me to beleive that the exploding Garand syndrome is caused by cracked cases on the rounds.

I guess I missed that (or more likely forgot it).

You might be right.  It’s certainly possible that the loss of neck tension caused by the cracks may have allowed the bullet to be pushed into the case while being cycled into the chamber.  That can definitely cause an overpressure situation.

Still, old ammo often has neck cracks, so there could easily be two different issues in the same ammo.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I shot a bandoleer of 30-06 Korean ammo today at the range. Don't know what the lot number was, but I was blasting a green Gain detergeant bottle at 200 yards with iron sights!

Other than one failure to feed, the ammo worked fine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#10]
ROFLMAO.... Were they filled with water? They look really cool when they are hit.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#11]
get ye to the Garand section on battlerifles.com and do some research - you'll find a thread with reports on individual case lots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top