Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2023 11:00:19 AM EDT
Yeah, they're a bit much for a Mexican built guitar, but there was a $200 off coupon (although it wasn't that long ago the regular price was probably $200 less). So I said screw it, YOLO...

I was surprised that the neck is pretty much identical to my 2009 Fender American Standard Strat. I assumed since it was an EVH branded product, the neck would be a little thinner, like a Charvel. But it still feels good in the hand, so no complaints about the contour. Whatever they did to age the neck has a weird feel to it, but I expect as I play it, that'll smoothen out. It did, however, come setup and ready to play, and only required some slight tweaks to the fine tuners. Action is low, the D-Tuna works as advertised, the Wolfgang puckup sounds great (I may try a Frankenstein later on), and the paint doesn't have that weird transparent thing going on like the regular Striped series guitars do. And aside from the 1971D quarter, a slightly different selector switch in the middle pickup cavity, and the bicycle reflectors, it looks like the real thing. But you can tell that they used a sander to do the relicing. Thinking about going over those spots with some steel wool to smoothen out the look of the wear marks. And I may add a push-push volume knob, so I can switch the neck puckup into the circuit when I want (it's not hooked up at all now).

As far as what to play it through? Tried a few of my amps, but settled on the Placater (Friedman BE100) model in my Helix. Tried the Plexi models in it too, but the Placater won. But I did end up putting a 10 band EQ after the amp block and boosted the top end, because it still lacked that extra little sizzle that Eddie's tone has. Also, it should be noted that I run through a tube poweramp and into 4x12 cabs. So, that, and a little reverb, and there it is, the Brown Sound, in the flesh.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a fan of Relics but the EVH and SRV clones are prob the exception since they're so iconic. If you are a big EVH fan I can't see NOT having some iteration of a well worn EVH guitar. Very cool!
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]

What was the first EVH riff you played through the amp?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not a fan of Relics but the EVH and SRV clones are prob the exception since they're so iconic. If you are a big EVH fan I can't see NOT having some iteration of a well worn EVH guitar. Very cool!
View Quote

Thanks, man!

Quoted:

What was the first EVH riff you played through the amp?
View Quote

Unchained
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, man!

Unchained
View Quote

I would think less of you if it hadn't been!
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations on the guitar.  On another note, this got me revisiting the early Van Halen catalog, I've been missing out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I want one but the price on them new is a bit much like you were saying. At least they're not 25k like the limited run

I will say that you'd think at that price it would have the frankenstrat pup already in it.

I'm still jealous
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want one but the price on them new is a bit much like you were saying. At least they're not 25k like the limited run

I will say that you'd think at that price it would have the frankenstrat pup already in it.

I'm still jealous
View Quote

Yeah, I wish it had the Frankenstein pickup, but the Wolfgang ain't bad. I do wish I came with a hard case, though. Oh well.
Top Top