[#6]

ETA: darn 41 seconds too slow
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
www.nydailynews.com/front/story/234225p-201129c.html

City alert in threat to Bush

BY MICHELE McPHEE and LEO STANDORA
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

The Secret Service clamped down on midtown last night to protect President Bush from a possible assassin armed with a hunting rifle.
Lawrence Ward, 59, left his upstate New York home Wednesday with a .30-30 lever-action hunting rifle in the trunk of his car, telling a neighbor, "I'm not coming back."

Inside his house in Bainbridge was a picture of Bush with the words "Dead Man" spray-painted near it, law enforcement authorities said.

Bush was in town for a fund-raiser at the Sheraton New York before speaking today at the UN General Assembly.

The Secret Service deemed Ward, a software engineer, such a "credible threat" that a three-square-block chunk of midtown was cordoned off.

Secret Service agents and city cops patrolled the area looking for anything suspicious.

Ward's ex-wife, Judith Ward, 59, who lives in Connecticut, told the Secret Service she thinks her former husband "is very dangerous and capable of killing someone and/or committing suicide."

She said Ward "is obsessed with weapons, [Oklahoma City bomber] Timothy McVeigh and the book 'The Dead Zone' - a novel about the stalking and attempted assassination of a presidential candidate," according to a Secret Service document.

The document, reviewed by the Daily News, said Ward sent his ex-wife a CD that mentions killing both Bush and Democratic rival John Kerry.

He also was said to be "obsessed" with his 19-year-old daughter, Priscilla Jane.

Judith Ward told The News she divorced her husband four years ago after 18 years of marriage because "he was a wife-beater and other things I don't want to talk about."

Authorities said Ward has a criminal past dating to 1991, including an indecent sexual proposal charge.

The neighbor in Bainbridge, a community about 40miles northeast of Binghamton, told authorities that Ward "frequently spoke of 'fighting the system' and other anti-government topics."

The neighbor said Ward gave him his house keys and told him to help himself. He then drove off in a blue 1997 Toyota sedan with the New York license plate BRF-6546.

Two days later, the neighbor went into the house, found the photo of Bush and called police.

Originally published on September 21, 2004

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh shit.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#9]
www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/29015.htm

INSIDE WACKO'S LAIR

By KENNETH LOVETT and MURRAY WEISS

September 22, 2004 -- A picture of President Bush, with the words "Dead Man" spray-painted over it, quotations from George Orwell's "1984," curse words painted on the floor — these are the "decorations" inside the home of the mentally unstable upstate man who the Secret Service fears wants to kill the president.

Lawrence Ward, 59, was last seen on Sept. 9 as he packed his .30-.30 hunting rifle into his trunk and told a neighbor he could take anything he wanted from his ramshackle, one-bedroom house.

When the neighbor entered, he found the macabre shrine to the president, as well as a sign reading, "Mission Accomplished" and Big Brother's cynical sayings from Orwell's classic novel: "Ignorance is Strength," "Freedom is Slavery" and "War is Peace."

Ward had also written an indictment of Bush — a paraphrase from the Declaration of Independence — on a board.

"He has erected a multitude of new offices and sent hither, swarming officers to harass the people and eat out there [sic] substance. Read the Declaration!"

The neighbor alerted local cops, who contacted the Secret Service.

The agency issued a nationwide alert for Ward last week, but it did not receive much attention until President Bush came to New York Monday.

There is no indication Ward was here for the president's U.N. address yesterday, but a police source said his car received a parking ticket on Spring Street in SoHo on June 30. Bush was not in New York that day.

Streets near the United Nations were in lockdown mode during the president's visit on Monday night and yesterday. But a high-ranking Secret Service official denied published reports that the agency heightened security because of Ward.

He added that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people whom the Secret Service would like to question about threatening the president.

"The only thing different about this guy is that he was in the newspapers," he said.

Bush also spent last night in New York at the Waldorf-Astoria.

Ward's neighbors on North Main Street in Bainbridge also told authorities about a bizarre CD on which the reclusive part-time guitar teacher celebrated infamous Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh as a "most honorable young man who kept the torch of liberty alive in the nightmare of fascism that overtook the United States."

Ward defines fascism as gun-control laws, anti-smoking regulations and other government-sponsored "war against our American freedoms."

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#10]
and will all of that there is no information on whether he is a skilled shooter??
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
hmmm, I thought this would be a picture of someone actually engaging in threatening behavior...so disappointing
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Note that he is missing part of his right ear!

(Wonder if he ever boxed Mike Tyson? )
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Why is everybody so upset about this? He had a .30-30!!!  Those are only made for killing deer, not people!  People can only be killed with AK47s and AR15s.  I swear it's true, the Brady Campaign and VPC said so!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
hmmm, I thought this would be a picture of someone actually engaging in threatening behavior...so disappointing

No kidding.  I expected a photo of some guy shaking his fist at Bush while Secret Service agents were running after him.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#15]
.30-30? don't worry, he'll have to get within 50 yards.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought they had already interviewed the guy and cleared this report?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I thought they had already interviewed the guy and cleared this report?

Ummm, haven't heard that one yet...

I was hoping to be cleared hot on this guy.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#18]
"obsessed with weapons" and the best he can do is a .30-30?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Why is everybody so upset about this? He had a .30-30!!!  Those are only made for killing deer, not people!  People can only be killed with AK47s and AR15s.  I swear it's true, the Brady Campaign and VPC said so!

Your sarcasm has awakend me to our true plight. We must ban all of these killing machines to get these killing machines to get them off the streets ... hunting rifles included.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Saw this over on full-auto

Bainbridge Man Denies Threatening Bush

Kyle Clark

Sep 26, 2004, 22:29

Larry Ward, the Bainbridge man who was the subject of a nationwide manhunt by the Secret Service says he never threatened President Bush's life. Ward came under suspicion after police found threats inside his North Main Street home. They consisted of a picture of President Bush with the words "Dead Man" spraypainted over the top.

Neighbors say Ward left town 2 weeks ago, stashing a rifle in his Toyota and driving out of Bainbridge. We pick up the Larry Ward story close to three thousand miles away. Action News spoke with Ward by phone, from the home of a friend near Olympia, Washington. Larry Ward says he wasn't running, "I have a lot of adverse circumstances i New York and I just had to walk away from them for a little bit."

Following Ward cross country were Secret Service agents worried that he might be a threat to President Bush and Senator John Kerry. Ward says he never targeted the candidates, "Absolutely false. I'd like to give them a good kick in the rear but I have no intention of murdering anyone, never have. I wouldn't know how."

The Secret Service thought otherwise. An agent caught up with Ward last Thursday in Washington State.

"He said 'Can I look at your car, can I look at your gun. Why are you reading those books?'" said Ward.

Books like American Terrorist, about Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh. A book that is far less sympathetic to McVeigh than Ward is, "I would, on a jury, probably find him guilty, but I think his motives and his thought process was honorable."

Ward went so far as to call McVeigh an American hero on this CD Ward made in his Bainbridge home. But what about the threat inside the home?

Ward told Action News, "On one of my walls, I have this political statement about Bush and a few months ago I was a victim of arson at my residence and vandalism. Someone spraypainted "Dead Man" over that."

Ward says he told his story to the Secret Service and has been cleared, "They said that they have no cause to be involved upon inquiry to me but they haven't said it publically, so I still have this lynch mob saying that I'm a wife beater and a president-murderer and god knows what."

Ward says he plans to stay on the West Coast for now, and he's not sure if he'll ever return to his home in Bainbridge. Action News asked the Secret Service to confirm that they interviewed Ward. A spokesman says they can't comment on an ongoing investigation. On Wednesday of last week, a New York City TV station reported the warrant for Ward's arrest has been dropped, and the Secret Service believes vandals may be behind the writing on the wall.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

INSIDE WACKO'S LAIR

September 22, 2004 -- A picture of President Bush, with the words "Dead Man" spray-painted over it, quotations from George Orwell's "1984," curse words painted on the floor — these are the "decorations" inside the home of the mentally unstable upstate man who the Secret Service fears wants to kill the president.

Anyone heard from Aimless?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#22]
oops double tap.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#23]
So, how long before this guy recieves a Grade A Choice Ass Whooping?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Action News asked the Secret Service to confirm that they interviewed Ward. A spokesman says they can't comment on an ongoing investigation. On Wednesday of last week, a New York City TV station reported the warrant for Ward's arrest has been dropped, and the Secret Service believes vandals may be behind the writing on the wall.

Well, I hope that means this guy is not planning on doing anything.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

INSIDE WACKO'S LAIR

Anyone heard from Aimless?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:56:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
www.nydailynews.com/front/story/234225p-201129c.html

City alert in threat to Bush

BY MICHELE McPHEE and LEO STANDORA
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Ward's ex-wife, Judith Ward, 59, who lives in Connecticut, told the Secret Service she thinks her former husband "is very dangerous and capable of killing someone and/or committing suicide."

She said Ward "is obsessed with weapons, [Oklahoma City bomber] Timothy McVeigh and the book 'The Dead Zone' - a novel about the stalking and attempted assassination of a presidential candidate," according to a Secret Service document.

The document, reviewed by the Daily News, said Ward sent his ex-wife a CD that mentions killing both Bush and Democratic rival John Kerry.

He also was said to be "obsessed" with his 19-year-old daughter, Priscilla Jane.

Judith Ward told The News she divorced her husband four years ago after 18 years of marriage because "he was a wife-beater and other things I don't want to talk about."

"She said", "she thinks", "she divorced" . . . anyone else thinking this was all a setup by his ex-wife?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:09:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
"She said", "she thinks", "she divorced" . . . anyone else thinking this was all a setup by his ex-wife?

Bingo!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Call off the Hounds

Sounds like they've located the guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top