Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 11:19:57 AM EDT
I will be traveling to France soon, and wanted to ask if anyone knows whether I can legally carry a small folding knife or “pepper spray” on my person.  Obviously I can’t carry either of these items onto the plane.  The trip was not my idea, so please don’t lecture me about going.  Lets also not get into whether I should carry regardless of the law.  However, I would like to maximize my safety as much as possible.  I “carry” at home most of the time, and wish to have some means of defending myself while in France.

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish I could help you but I think that you are out of luck in France.

I don't know if carrying a knife is allowed.

What could happen to you in France?...No one should own a gun right? [:D]

Zee French are loveurs and not killeurs. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
If attacked, speak German, any German, in a loud and clear manner.  It will immediately cause all Frenchmen within earshot to wet themselves and collapse into a quivering pile.  On the other hand, it will immediately cause all French women to spread their legs. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The French throw cheese at attackers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#4]
well I don't know about carrying a knife but the pepper spray won't work. the first time you get in a taxi or any confined area with the French you will know why--they apparently can't smell truly foul odors(like there pits). Pepper spray would be an improvement over the "I haven't bathed in a week or two" body odor they all seem to have. Oh, and while you are there, ask them if its true that the reason that they have groves of trees along the highways is to provide shade for the German soldiers to march in.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was in France I left all of my pocket knives at home because I didn't know what the laws were.  I've never felt so naked.  We travelled around quite a bit going to several chateaux and museums within a couple of hours travel of Paris.  The only place that I would even have been questioned was at musee du Louvre where we had to walk through metal detectors.  This may have all changed since 9/11 though, but I highly doubt it.  

When in La ville de Fontainebleau I spent some time admiring French and Italian switchblades at a local cutlery store.  Couldn't afford any of them at the time, but it made me think that I should have had a blade in my carry on luggage.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Now where the hell is DSAFALS when he can actually be of some use to somebody?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#7]
AlanD,

I would recommend checking with local police before visiting.  My virtual cousin's family  were VICTIMS of a home invasion by SIX french thugs while living in France this year.  Although they all survived the husband's ear drum was ruptured by a ND during his "pistol whipping"  Fortunately the house had a "panic room" which the four children fled to and were able to summon Police who arrived in about 10 minutes.  The family and children were understandably traumatized by this incident and returned to US immediately.  Keep a low profile.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was stationed in Germany My GF and I decided to take a 6 day romantic vacation to Paris.  We left and went back to Germany the morning of the third day.  

Carry a bar of soap and a can of spray deodorant. The French react to them the same way vampires react to garlic.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Consider a hickory walking stick or cane.  Check with yrou airline before bringing it to the airport - it may be considered a "prohibited weapon."
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#10]
And a few lesser known things to those who think otherwise.

The French bathe as much as we do.  They don't stink.  Even in the countryside.

Most of women shave their armpits and legs.

The women are not sluts, but are more sexual than Americans. [:)]  You can easily buy a hooker in Paris though and they are pretty good looking to.  I went with my wife so I can only speak of what I saw, not what I did. [:)]

Magnum P.I. is even more gay looking when he speaks French.  I've got respect for Tom Selleck, but seeing re-runs on French TV didn't help his image.  If you can get away from it, don't watch the television.

They do sound stuck up, but only if you don't understand the nuance of the language.  If you at least try to speak some French without sounding like a dumb American, they'll treat you with some respect.  Imagine if a German came here and demanded that you speak his language.  For instance, saying "Ex-kyoo-say!" at a cafe, bar, restaurant, or shopping mall does not mean, "I'd like a little help."

The cheese, wine, and food are fantastic!  Don't expect to get out of Paris without having a fantastic meal for less than a couple hundred Francs.  Don't go to a restaurant or cafe for breakfast in Paris!  Eat from one of the carts.  They're just as good as anything else and a third the price.

Get a Metro and a museum pass if you plan on travelling or seeing a lot of museums.

And don't act suprised when you see the police walking around in body armor carrying automatic weapons.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I have traveled with pepper spray before, placing it in a very well sealed container in my baggage.  However, I have always been concerned that the container could leak, in which case I would be the one with the odor problem (either that or replace all my cloths).  When I went to Canada, I couldn’t believe it was illegal to carry pepper spray, and the border patrol confiscated it.  So I am curious of the law in France regarding it.

Muad Dib, thanks for the info, if they openly sell switchblades, you would think that carrying a folding knife is allowed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#12]
What’s wrong with you Muad_Dib… You some kinda subversive.  

I bet you got a wheel of cheese under your pillow at night![:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Ditto on what Muad_Dib said...I souldn't have said it better myself.  AlanD, where are you going?  The issue you are most likely going to encounter over anything else is pickpockets.  Don't be shy about giving a potential pickpocket a good belting.  They are usually gypsies or poor North Africans, and the French police certainly have no love for them.

As far as a knife goes, I don't know what the laws are.  I have carried one though all over Europe.  It's not worth it to me not to have some form of protection, and I am a pretty low-key, fly under the radar kind of person.  France is not the type of place where you will be harassed and searched by the Police for no reason, so chances are nobody will know you have it unless you need it.  And then, who cares?  If you still want to know the law, call the French Embassy or Consulate here in the U.S. and ask them before your trip.

Have a great trip...despite what the naysayers think, France is a beautiful country and you can have a blast there.  Just remember, it's not America.  So, you know the saying:  When in Rome...
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Last time I was in France I saw pepper spray on sale and of course folding knives, lots of swiss army types too.  

They use Euro's now and the Euro is worth a little less than a dollar so it makes figuring out what you are spending a lot easier.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have traveled with pepper spray before, placing it in a very well sealed container in my baggage.  However, I have always been concerned that the container could leak, in which case I would be the one with the odor problem (either that or replace all my cloths).  When I went to Canada, I couldn’t believe it was illegal to carry pepper spray, and the border patrol confiscated it.  So I am curious of the law in France regarding it.

Muad Dib, thanks for the info, if they openly sell switchblades, you would think that carrying a folding knife is allowed.
View Quote

Actually I think it is illegal to have any pepper spray on an airline now, even if it's in your checked luggage.  You should check with the airline before you carry any onboard.  I know that they'll confiscate any that you try to bring in on your person or in your carry on luggage.  It happens to my stepmother every time she flies.  I give it to her, she gives it to the airlines. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bet you got a wheel of cheese under your pillow at night![:)]
View Quote

Yep, but I live in Wisconsin so having cheese under your pillow is a requirement for citizenship. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The business part of the trip is in Paris, where we will be for a couple of days.  My wife is accompanying me, with most of the non-business part planned in the countryside.  I’ll probably try and purchase pepper spray shortly after we arrive, and leave it there when I leave, since it is cheap.  Since small knives are easy to conceal on one’s person, and probably legal, I’ll transport at least one in my checked baggage to carry once we’re there.  Although I’m sure I could more definitively determine the legal aspects by contacting the US or French authorities, I would rather remain completely anonymous to them.  This just seems like a bad time to ask federal agencies about weapons carry.

I greatly appreciate everyone’s advice and information.  I’m just one of those people who is most calm when I feel the pressure of my holstered .45 behind my right hip, and I already feel insecure knowing I wouldn’t have it there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
AlanD,

I would recommend checking with local police before visiting.  My virtual cousin's family  were VICTIMS of a home invasion by SIX french thugs while living in France this year.
View Quote
Couldn't have been French.  Must have been German.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I will be traveling to France soon, and wanted to ask if anyone knows whether I can legally carry a small folding knife or “pepper spray” on my person.......I would like to maximize my safety as much as possible.  I “carry” at home most of the time, and wish to have some means of defending myself while in France.

Thank you
View Quote

Kudos on your foresight.  The only time I've been mugged was in Europe.  Lately, every person I know who's travelled there has either been victimized or an attempt on them has been made.  Usually mugging or pickpocketing.

They have little tobacco-and-souvenir shops that sell stuff like knives and brass knuckles (I saw them in the display window on the street) so chances are you can pick up pepper spray too, once you're there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magnum P.I. is even more gay looking when he speaks French.  
View Quote
[:o] [b]TAKE THAT BACK!!!!![/b]
View Quote

So there is a guy who wears ball hugging shorts and half open Hawaiian shirts all the time.  He has a big moustache but no beard and lives with another guy with a big moustache named Higgins.  They live together in a great big house with no women.  They both speak French with semi-homosexual accents.

Maybe I should have said Magnum P.I. is gay looking when you hear him speaking in French. [:)]

Even Arnold and Stalone sound queer (but still dumb) in French.   Et je parle la langue.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#22]
AlanD:
I don't know and I don't care... While In Europe I carried two folding knives, a Spyderco and a Benchmade CQC-7. I would advise you not to pocket clip the thing, but to carry it in you waistband under a shirt.
I will remind you, in case you might do it... That they have metal detectors on the Eurpostar/Chunnel train from Paris to London.
I never got in trouble or caught... However, my advice is this. Don't advertise it, keep it close but hidden, if you stick someone.... GTF outta dodge.
My belief was, if someone trys to mug me and doesn't back off... I'm going to kill them, get on the next train, leave town, and fly to the USA ASAP.
I carried an ASP too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok ,no rubber jokes .

Just find some Germans to hang out with ...
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#24]
When in public, have your wife do all the talking, and introduce you by saying loudly, "This is my husband [b]HANS[/b]." After she does, just glare at people.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I never felt threatened when I traveled in Europe.  Most Europeans are pretty much pussies (like I'm not [rolleyes] ) and will back down when confronted, even the "thug" type.  Just have to appear that you are serious and they will leave you alone.

Beware the Gypsies.  They will acost you, especially at train stations.  Be very forthright that you will strike them if they don't move.  I had to raise my hand and yell a couple times on my travels.  If you don't they will never leave you alone.

BTW, eat in the Latin Quarter at the Greek stands for lunch.  Yummy Gyros and fries for cheap.  Eating in a restaurant is way expensive.

As for the language, English is pretty much the common language of Europe as well. With so many languages in a small continent, there needs to be some commonality.  The wife speaks a few languages (damn Swiss [;)] ) but we only "needed" it a few times.  Don't take guff from those snotty frenchies, though they are mostly in Paris.  The rest of France seems to love Americans.

Oh, and the French smell, Germans SMELL!  Don't get caught climbing the tower of Notre Dame behind one.  Ugh.

But as far a safety, just keep your wits about you and look like someone that won't be f-ed with.  Come on, there are in a nation of surrenderers, they'll pick the easy target.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I was stationed in Germany My GF and I decided to take a 6 day romantic vacation to Paris.  We left and went back to Germany the morning of the third day.  

Carry a bar of soap and a can of spray deodorant. The French react to them the same way vampires react to garlic.
View Quote

LOL! French[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Use attack Frogs [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/frog.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is legal to carry pepper spray in Canada, it is just illegal to use it on an attacker, adn it cannot say it is for use on Humans, "karate in a Can" for instance is illegal, dog and bear spray however are not....

stupid laws
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If attacked, speak German, any German, in a loud and clear manner.  It will immediately cause all Frenchmen within earshot to wet themselves and collapse into a quivering pile.  On the other hand, it will immediately cause all French women to spread their legs. [;)]
View Quote

Hee...hee...hee...that's a good one.  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#30]
When I travel to a foreign country I carry a
straight razor. After check in I get the desk clerk or concierge to write the address (ON HOTEL STATIONARY) of some local sharpening place and stick the paper in my pocket.
One caveat here, If you're going to carry a straight razor for self defense make sure you know how to use it!

THE ABOVE IS NOT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top