User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 2:58:54 PM EDT

Shot Peoria officer paralyzed from chest down

Weigt talks with family; 'investigative lead' turns self in

Brent Whiting
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 20, 2005 03:55 PM

A Peoria police officer who was shot and wounded Saturday is paralyzed from the chest down but has full use of his arms, authorities said Tuesday.

"The recovery process for such an injury is tremendous, and the familys asks for the public's continued support and prayers," said Mike Tellef, a Peoria police spokesman.

Tellef said the medical condition was disclosed at the request of relatives for Officer Bill Weigt, 31, who remains in serious but stable condition at John C. Lincoln Hospital - North Mountain.

Earlier, police filed court appears showing marijuana has emerged as a motive in a Saturday slaying that led to a shootout in which Weigt suffered the crippling chest wound.

The injury occurred during an early-morning gunbattle with Damon Hicks, 27, who was shot dead by other officers.

In booking documents, police said Hicks was killed after he and Hassain Hennix, 23, of Avondale, went to a Peoria home looking for marijuana.

Police allege that Hicks killed Ruben Cruz Hernandez Jr., 21, and fled in a car and later was killed, while Hennix fled from the neighborhood on foot.

Hennix was arrested Monday on charges of murder, kidnapping and burglary. During a court appearance Tuesday, his bail was set at $500,000.

Weigt, who is married and a father of four, has been on the force for about 18 months.

The officer, who was wearing a protective vest, was shot in the chest but the bullet missed the vest, Tellef said. At nightfall Saturday, more than 100 police officers, relatives and other well-wishers gathered at the Phoenix hospital for a candlelight vigil in support of the officer.

Karen Ashley, a deputy Peoria police chief, described Weigt as a well-respected officer with a sense of humor.

Ashley described the shooting as "a tragic day for the Peoria Police Department," saying it marked the first time a that a Peoria officer has been shot.

No Peoria officer has been killed in the line of duty since the city was incorporated in 1954. Mayor John Keegan, reached in Hawaii, said the city offers full support to Weigt and his loved ones.

"Our prayers go out to him and his family," Keegan said.

The 100 Club, a group that supports slain and injured Arizona law officers, is accepting contributions for Weigt.

Checks can be mailed to the club at 5033 N. 19th Ave., Suite 123, Phoenix, AZ 85015. The account number is 487153.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/peoria/articles/1220gl-copshot20-ON.html#

Here's praying for his full recovery.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
+1.
Any info on how the bullet got passed his vest? Armpit area?
That is happening way to much lately.

From the article, I would say yes; either that, or the "neck scoop" area in the front was too low for whatever reason.  Don't see any other way he could have been shot in the "chest" and have the bullet miss the vest.

Regardless, I completely agree that it seems like this is happening at a faster and faster pace as of late.  While not in LE, I empathize with you guys on/about this.  Stay safe, insofarasmuch as it's in your ability to control.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Local rumor has it that the round entered above the vest (the neck cutout area), hit his collar bone and deflected into his spine.

A sad day for sure.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Prayers sent
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
God bless the officer and his family.
They will be in our prayers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Local rumor has it that the round entered above the vest (the neck cutout area), hit his collar bone and deflected into his spine.

A sad day for sure.

"Good Lord," if that's true.

BTW, your "cutout" description sounds *much* better than my "scoop" description.  Mine made it sound like a friggin' blouse.

And here's a request to the fella whose name I invoked in the first sentence to watch over this officer and his family the rest of their days........
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:49:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Crap. That's worse than death IMHO.

Maybe the bullet didnt sever the spinal cord and he can recover. I've seen some miracles with quads walking.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Best wishes for the Officer.

On a side note, they are beating the whole legalization thing to death on GD in regards to this incident. I tried to make the point that the officer should be the focus but was swatted down.
Well, I tried.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Best wishes for the Officer.

On a side note, they are beating the whole legalization thing to death on GD in regards to this incident. I tried to make the point that the officer should be the focus but was swatted down.
Well, I tried.

Two completely seperate lines of discussion.

(Yes, I say this despite the position I took on wolfman's thread last week; Though some may see them as the same, I believe the two can be differentiated).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top