Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/20/2008 11:46:21 AM EDT
It never ceases to amaze me, people that complain about other people not being "American" enough don't even have a basic grasp of the English language.

"Why do you put the African/Mexican/Chinese/etc.. before the American????"

Umm... well in the English language, you put the adjective in front of the noun. For instance, you don't call them "people stupid", you call them "stupid people". To put "American" before the African/Mexican/Chinese/etc.. means you identify more with being African/Mexican/Chinese/etc.. than with being American. Get a grip people.

Then you might ask why do you need a descriptor at all? Well people that complain about hyphenations are also the first people to think of people along racial lines. You see a mug shot of someone African/Mexican/Chinese/etc.. on TV, their race is the first thing you think of. Your daughter goes out with someone African/Mexican/Chinese/etc.., their race is the first thing you think of. Until that changes, you got nothing to bitch about. To say "we are all Americans" is disingenuous until you actually believe it.

IBT Intellectual Dishonesty.

ETA: I'm not defending people who put the countries of their ancestors before being American (ie those flying the Mexican Flag above the American), I'm saying ignorant retards here are getting all worked up about something they *think* is a denouncement of being an American when it isn't.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Hyephenated?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#2]
If you dont consider yourself 100%American you should leave
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#3]
im first and formost an American.  after that its not as important.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I don't refer to myself as a Irish/Scottish/English/Syrian/Cherokee-American.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
To say "we are all Americans" is disingenuous until you actually believe it.

Okay, what about the people that DO believe that?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Most people who hyphenate...have never been to the country they are claiming over America.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, I don't refer to myself as a Irish/Scottish/English/Syrian/Cherokee-American.

Yeah, I sure don't refer to myself as "Irish\I don't know-American", I'm an American(mutt)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Theodore Roosevelt frowns on this thread.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.
This is just as true of the man who puts “native” before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.
But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.
The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans, or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the other citizens of the American Republic.
The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American.
Addressing the Knights of Columbus in New York City
12 October 1915
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Calling yourself "African-American" is claiming that you are an American first and foremost, and "African" as a secondary adjective.

Why can't some of you read and understand the OP?

Perhaps if you don't understand how English works you aren't actually 100% American and should leave the country and go live somewhere that has a language which structures its noun phrases differently? Perhaps you belong in Mexico?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#12]
For some people it's just a way of identifying their racial/ethnic background.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So I take it you don't like tourists much?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're a tourist you would'nt  say ''I'm a Dutch-American'' You would say ''I'm Dutch''
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Calling yourself "African-American" is claiming that you are an American first and foremost, and "African" as a secondary adjective.

Perhaps if you don't understand how English works you aren't actually 100% American and should leave the country and go live somewhere that has a language which structures its noun phrases differently? Perhaps you belong in Mexico?

Perhaps American of African decent is  a better descriptor.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're a tourist you would'nt  say ''I'm a Dutch-American'' You would say ''I'm Dutch''

DEU is Germany, thanks for proving my point.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if he is from south carolina?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So do you think DK Prof and Ed are not 100% American because the first thing through your head when their name is mentioned is "oh, he's the Danish (or maybe Dutch in your case) guy that is a mod" and "He's the Cuban immigrant that owns the site"??
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it isn't, that is just an attempt to modify our language and make it more complicated out of Political Correctness.

Why should we do violence against our language because a group of noisy idiots who can't understand English grammar have a fit.

Why should we compromise our language for the sake of being politically correct?

Adjective-American is a more elegant and efficient way to express the same thing, and we should not make our country's language unnecessarily complicated and wordy just to appease the childish, imbecile whining of a group that is upset with something trivial.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#20]
From now on people who are of the belief that it is OK to hyphenate ancestry have to refer to me as an Endo-European-American. All others may continue to refer to me as "white". This decision is final and will be enforced citing multiple other groups which prefer this double standard.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

in the context of "African-American" there is no adjective present.  African-American is a compound word.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So do you think DK Prof and Ed are not 100% American because the first thing through your head when their name is mentioned is "oh, he's the Danish (or maybe Dutch in your case) guy that is a mod" and "He's the Cuban immigrant that owns the site"??

IIRC, DK Prof is a Resident Alien.  I hope his intent is to become an American citizen, but I don't recall that he has posted on that topic.

Ed Avila Sr is an American.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry I'm not a flags of the world expert like you..
Most of the people that claim to be a ''insert country here''-American have no ties to that country at all most have never even been there,
If they were born here they have heritige in this country not Africa,Mexico or even ''Germany''
I just feel it's a jab at this country to be born and raised here and still consider another country even partialy youre home land.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Although I don't agree with the post you are quoting, I would say for example, that since DK prof is actually Danish it might actually make some sense if he were to hyphenate. Moreover, since African-American (again for example) is describing a race rather than a nationality I don't see what their country of origin has to do with anything. I don't hear white guys from SA running around calling themselves African-American unless it is to poke fun at people who do.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#26]
"Everyone's a little bit a racist, it's true,
But everyone's about as racist, as youuuuu!
Look around and you will find,
That no one's truly color blind,
Maybe it's a fact, We all should face
Everyone makes judgments, based on race!"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9CSnlb-ymA

Asian-American, Chinese-American checking in here.  Just because i've chosen to identify where my parents heritage is from doesn't make me less American!

But I agree with the OP.  To have an honest discussion about race, to simply say "we are all american" and brush it away is intellectual dishonesty.  Race has been a flash point of controversy for this country, since the day Pilgrims ran into Indians.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it isn't, that is just an attempt to modify our language and make it more complicated out of Political Correctness.

Why should we do violence against our language because a group of noisy idiots who can't understand English grammar have a fit.

Why should we compromise our language for the sake of being politically correct?

Adjective-American is a more elegant and efficient way to express the same thing, and we should not make our country's language unnecessarily complicated and wordy just to appease the childish, imbecile whining of a group that is upset with something trivial.

Which language are you talking about, English or American?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It never ceases to amaze me, people that complain about other people not being "American" enough don't even have a basic grasp of the English language.

Umm... well in the English language, you put the adjective in front of the noun. For instance, you don't call them "people stupid", you call them "stupid people". To put "American" before the African/Mexican/Chinese/etc.. means you identify more with being African/Mexican/Chinese/etc.. than with being American. Get a grip people.

Then you might ask why do you need a descriptor at all? Well people that complain about hyphenations are also the first people to think of people along racial lines. You see a mug shot of someone African/Mexican/Chinese/etc.. on TV, their race is the first thing you think of. Your daughter goes out with someone African/Mexican/Chinese/etc.., their race is the first thing you think of. Until that changes, you got nothing to bitch about. To say "we are all Americans" is disingenuous until you actually believe it.

ETA: I'm not defending people who put the countries of their ancestors before being American (ie those flying the Mexican Flag above the American), I'm saying ignorant retards here are getting all worked up about something they *think* is a denouncement of being an American when it isn't.

I don't judge people by their looks, but by their actions.  I don't call myself a European American or whatever because that is silly.  This hyphenated crap is just another form of racism.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Well, 1 out of 5 aint.. bad.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly, "African-American" is the natural application of the English language. To butcher the language to make it more palatable is asinine. Kind of makes me think of how the word "antisemitism" came into adoption really.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#31]
This reminds me of the controversy in CA schools over allowing people to determine their own gender identity.

www.gaylesbiantimes.com/?id=11075

That should keep the bathroom monitors busy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-texas/TheodoreRoosevelt.jpg

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.
This is just as true of the man who puts “native” before the hyphen as of the man who puts German or Irish or English or French before the hyphen. Americanism is a matter of the spirit and of the soul. Our allegiance must be purely to the United States. We must unsparingly condemn any man who holds any other allegiance.
But if he is heartily and singly loyal to this Republic, then no matter where he was born, he is just as good an American as any one else.
The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English- Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian- Americans, or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality than with the other citizens of the American Republic.
The men who do not become Americans and nothing else are hyphenated Americans; and there ought to be no room for them in this country. The man who calls himself an American citizen and who yet shows by his actions that he is primarily the citizen of a foreign land, plays a thoroughly mischievous part in the life of our body politic. He has no place here; and the sooner he returns to the land to which he feels his real heart-allegiance, the better it will be for every good American.
12 October 1915

But trust me, some jackass compassion-fascist on the internet is more enlightened and more literate than some dead president.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If you don't want to be American then leave! Go live in another country if you want to call yourself some kind of half-American. Enjoy the freedoms they have in Africa or North Korea etc if you think you have it that bad here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#34]
We have the exact same conversation going on next door.
www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=734258&page=2
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't want to be American then leave! Go live in another country if you want to call yourself some kind of half-American. Enjoy the freedoms they have in Africa or North Korea etc if you think you have it that bad here.

Where did I say it's so "bad" in America?

Another "patriot" that can't read English.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Black is a race, Africa is a continent.

Mexico is a country, Latin is a race.

Asian is a race, China is a country

Middle Eastern is a race, Iraq is a country

Many of the people you describe as "African-America" have never even been to Africa. If you moved to the USA from another country than you wounld be hyphenated, but other wise your a "black/white/latin/middle eastern/ or asian" American.

Not other wise!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Listen here sonny, we call ourselve Americans because we are, and if you are too embarrassed to do the same you have no appreciation for what many other better people than you fought and died for.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

in the context of "African-American" there is no adjective present.  African-American is a compound word.

Even in the case of compound words with an adjective and noun, the structure is generally still the same with the adjective first. Adding a hyphen doesn't change that.

freeman
skullcap
firewood
mainsail

etc... etc...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#40]
So if we were to refer to you as an Elitist-American it wouldn't grammatically offend you?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm American Indian. Notice no hyphen.

I don't do the Native American thing becsue that is lame.

I don't like hyphen labels. But then most injun would call me an Apple!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I am an American!

But there are a few in this thread that can kiss my  Caucasian sphincter. hock.gif
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Bullshit.

Hypehated  American=Hyphenated Allegiance
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Amen
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Listen here sonny, we call ourselve Americans because we are, and if you are too embarrassed to do the same you have no appreciation for what many other better people than you fought and died for.

We are fighting and dying in Iraq not because we are Americans, we are there because of politics and the control of middle east oil.  When 911 happened, I was 3 blocks from the Wall Trade center, and I was covered with concret dust for hours trying to walk away from there.  I would fight and go after Osama in a heart beat, but to go fighting in Iraq for weapon of mass destruction, which none was never found, makes no sense to me.

No one here is disagreeing that we are Americans.  But to refresh your memory, the constitution guarantees the freedom of speech and don't matter if I agree or disagree with what is said, I will defend and fight for the rights of every American the freedom of speech.  They may call themself what ever they like and I will repect that 100%.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Are Caucasian-Americans from the Cacusus?  No.

Thus it is a inconsistent description convention to call black people "African-American"

Race has hijacked the naming convention for naturalized citizens or resident aliens.  African-Americans are people BORN IN Africa who then come here.  Just as say an Irish-American was born in Ireland and the immigrated here.

The race descriptors way it should be():
White People = White Americans
Black People = Black Americans
Latin People = Brown Americans
Arab People = Brown Americans
Indian People = Seven Eleven Clerks
Native Americans = Red Americans
Asian People = Yellow Americans
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Are Caucasian-Americans from the Cacusus?  No.

Thus it is a inconsistent description convention to call black people "African-American"

Race has hijacked the naming convention for naturalized citizens or resident aliens.  African-Americans are people BORN IN Africa who then come here.  Just as say an Irish-American was born in Ireland and the immigrated here.

The race descriptors way it should be():
White People = White Americans
Black People = Black Americans
Latin People = Brown Americans
Arab People = Brown Americans
Indian People = Seven Eleven Clerks
Native Americans = Red Americans
Asian People = Yellow Americans

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Gee...............another race-baiting thread in GD .

Whooda thunk it

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-texas/TheodoreRoosevelt.jpg

12 October 1915

But trust me, some jackass compassion-fascist on the internet is more enlightened and more literate than some dead president.

Yup.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention, tourists are going to LEAVE some time or another.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top