Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2016 7:16:08 AM EDT
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon’s Inspector General has launched an investigation into the response by American troops to allegations that Afghan military and police officials were involved in the sexual abuse of children.

The investigation will seek to determine what role American servicemembers should serve in curtailing the sexual abuse of children and whether they properly responded to such allegations, Deputy Inspector General Kenneth Moorefield wrote in a memorandum to senior defense leaders dated Feb. 19.

“We have been conducting a research project related to these issues since Oct. 28, 2015,” he wrote. “This announcement is to inform you that we are now conducting a full assessment addressing these issues.” Among the questions that the investigation seeks to answer, Moorefield wrote, are whether troops were instructed — either officially or through unofficial channels — to ignore sexual abuse, how many cases of child sexual abuse had been reported to the U.S. military and whether those reports had been forwarded to the Afghan government, and whether American troops have been trained properly to deal with the issue.

The investigation also seeks to determine what legal authorities American troops have on bases in Afghanistan to intervene or to use force if they witness or are informed of sexual abuse of a child, Moorefield wrote.

http://www.stripes.com/pentagon-ig-launches-full-investigation-into-afghanistan-child-sex-abuse-1.395556
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#1]
oh, so NOW they launch an investigation, after they already kicked out that SF soldier for beating the shit out of a child sex abuser
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
oh, so NOW they launch an investigation, after they already kicked out that SF soldier for beating the shit out of a child sex abuser
View Quote

The publicity is stirred up so they have to act like they are doing something. In my experience the IG is a paper tiger. I've seen some seriously fucked up shit go down and get reported to the IG and nothing ever comes if it.  Some fucking group of officers comes, asks a bunch of questions and takes statements, leaves and thing go on the same as they have before.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was bullshit in its purest, most fundamental form.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Why? What do they hope to accomplish? Acknowledge what everyone already knows?

It's not like anything will be done about it.

dogs and ponies
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
oh, so NOW they launch an investigation, after they already kicked out that SF soldier for beating the shit out of a child sex abuser innocent moderate Muslim victimized by white privilege
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The publicity is stirred up so they have to act like they are doing something. In my experience the IG is a paper tiger. I've seen some seriously fucked up shit go down and get reported to the IG and nothing ever comes if it.  Some fucking group of officers comes, asks a bunch of questions and takes statements, leaves and thing go on the same as they have before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, I've never seen the IG do shit.  Congressional inquiries on the other hand...
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I still can't believe they did that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top