Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2002 8:26:55 AM EDT
I just logged on to Paypal and im being promted to change my password.. cant do anything till I do... I cant find a tel number on the website..only a link to cust, service.. anyone have Paypals 800 number handy..?

Thanks..

the url  reads http[red]s[/red]//:www.paypal.com and that lock thing is on the bottom of the sreen .. but I dont wanna change a password untill I speak with some...

Link Posted: 12/7/2002 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think they give out their number cause they don't want you calling them if you lose your money.

Many people dislike PP becaues they can take YOUR money and hold it.  Or give it back to the person who defrauded you.

I was gonna accept PP from a couple potential  watch buyer's, but now I changed my mind.  I can't risk having 3k reversed.  USPS MO is the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.paypalwarning.com[/url]

I've been using Paypal for awhile now.  You have to [red]READ[/red] the rules.  If you don't follow them, your account will be suspended and they will hold your money until you send them the info they want.  I have followed all their rules and have no problems with them at all.

As far as them making you change your password?

I dunno.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Some phone #'s

Known phone numbers:

(402) 935-2000 / (402) 935-2001 / (402) 935-2062 / (402) 935-2258 [this is Craig,  complaints resolution manager] / (402) 935-7733 / (402) 537-5740 (fax) / (650) 251-1100 / (888) 221-1161 / (800) 836-1859 / (877) 672-9725 / (866) 272-9725 / (402) 935-2338 [Carrie, Paypal Security]

[url]http://www.paypalwarning.com/SecurityWarning/Default.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]www.paypalsucks.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had the same account and password for years and I am not being prompted to change anything.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
after reading some of the recent postst on this site about fraudulend paypal practices, i changed all my pertinent information and closed my acct.

i suggest all do the same, as noone can afford to lose all credit on there card.. or in my case everything in my debit acct..
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some phone #'s

Known phone numbers:

(402) 935-2000 / (402) 935-2001 / (402) 935-2062 / (402) 935-2258 [this is Craig,  complaints resolution manager] / (402) 935-7733 / (402) 537-5740 (fax) / (650) 251-1100 / (888) 221-1161 / (800) 836-1859 / (877) 672-9725 / (866) 272-9725 / (402) 935-2338 [Carrie, Paypal Security]

[url]http://www.paypalwarning.com/SecurityWarning/Default.htm[/url]
View Quote

Gentlemen... Thank you for the numbers... as it turns out, I was informed my act had been flaged due to a large number of unsuccesfull attempts to log in with the last week. Thing is ... I havent logged (or even tried to) for over a month.. [:(]

And yeah Ive been hearing more and more bad things about paypal lately..
It would be nice to only take US postal money orders  oR cash [;)]... but the people on e bay wanna pay within the hour an get that good ole tracking number 20 secs later.. :) ..

Link Posted: 12/15/2002 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#8]
PayPal Users Targeted by E-Mail Scam--Again

For the second time in two months, scam artists have tricked users into sharing passwords and credit card info.

Linda Rosencrance, Computerworld
Monday, October 28, 2002

Users of online payment service PayPal have again been targeted by scam artists trying to steal their personal data, including name, address, home and work telephone numbers, and credit card information.

Last week, a reader e-mailed Computerworld saying he had received a message allegedly from "[email protected]" with the subject "PayPal Security Update." Last month, PayPal users were hit by a similar scam.

The October 22 message, which arrived as an HTML e-mail replete with grammatical mistakes, was set up to mimic PayPal's Web site, and said: To confirm that you are an authorized PayPal member, authorization is needed. The New SSL 4.0 Secure Socket Layer has been updated to the PayPal servers. To be authorized, please visit https://www.paypalauthorization.com/. After completion, you will recieve[sic] and [sic] email confirmation within 24 hours of reciept [sic]. Thanks for using PayPal!, PayPal Security Team.

Spoof Site
The Web site address listed in the e-mail took users to an official-looking site that asked for their personal information.

The reader said he was fooled into entering his user name and password, his address, and half of his credit card number before he realized he had been scammed. He said he immediately changed his PayPal log-in password, removed his credit card and bank information from his PayPal profile, sent an e-mail to PayPal's customer service department, and filed a complaint with the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation's Internet Fraud Complaint Center.

As of late Thursday Eastern time, the spoofed PayPal site was still available. It wasn't available Friday.

PayPal spokesperson Julie Anderson said the company was notified of the spoof site Thursday morning, immediately contacted the Web host for the site and asked that it be removed. The company also plans to file a suspicious activity report with law enforcement officials.

Previously, Anderson had said spoof sites are very common. She said the scam artists probably got hold of a database and sent messages to thousands of people, hoping to hit some PayPal account holders.

"[These scams] happen often, and they happen often to successful Web sites like eBay, PayPal, and other financial services sites," Anderson said last month. "Fortunately, we know from experience that PayPal users are for the most part savvy enough not to fall for them. But in the end, if they do, they are certainly not liable for any losses."

Similar Scam
A "whois" search on the domain name used in this week's scam showed that it was registered on September 29, 2002, to a woman in Jacksonville, Florida. However when reached for comment, the woman said she was the victim of a similar scam targeting users of Dulles, Virginia-based America Online.

The woman said she had only been a member of AOL for one week when she received a message allegedly from the company saying there was a problem with the credit card information she had provided and her service would be shut off immediately if she didn't provide the number of a different credit card.

She said she complied with the request and then said she was asked to resubmit the number and expiration date of the card she originally provided. Again she complied with this request.

Shortly thereafter, the issuing banks called her because they determined there had been some suspicious activity on her card. She said that's when she realized she had been victimized.

AOL couldn't be reached for comment Friday.

More Secure
Russ Cooper, a security consultant at TruSecure in Herndon, Virginia, said that in addition to the security center PayPay has on its site--complete with tips for users, including a warning that they never share their PayPal password with anyone--the company could do more to protect users.

He suggested that PayPal use digital signature technology that would allow users to determine the veracity of an e-mail purporting to be from PayPal. He also said PayPal could alert users to this technology by posting information about it on a prominent place on its site.

[url]http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,106412,00.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Ever try Paybid.com?

A Western Union product...I have and so far so good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top